ADVERTISEMENT

View: 10923|Reply: 87

[Tempatan] Doktor atheist berkorban masa demi kemanusiaan

[Copy link]
Post time 16-5-2016 11:59 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Wednesday, 11 May 2016
Doctor devotes life to helping the unfortunate
BY SUZANNE LAZAROO

Street doctor: Dr Tan examining a patient at the Pertiwi Health Services’ mobile clinic. — Photo by Raja Teh, Pertiwi Soup Kitchen

KUALA LUMPUR: The desire to reach out to others was probably planted at a young age in Dr Nason Tan, who used to accompany his parents for volunteer work at old folks homes.

Today, the 44-year-old general prac--titioner can lay claim to an extraordinary body of volunteer work.

This includes providing free medical care to the urban poor with Pertiwi Health Services’ mobile clinic, working on humanitarian missions with Medicins San Frontieres (MSF or Doctors Without Borders), dealing with sexual health issues of the LGBT community and addressing health issues of refugees.

Dr Tan sees nothing out of the ordinary about his commitment to so many causes.

“I look for the gaps that need filling, the needs to be addressed in areas I am passionate about,” he said.

“For instance, I find that because of the stigma involved, many healthcare providers don’t know how to deal with the LGBT community, and this is important in dealing with sexual health issues. So there is a need there,” he said.

His volunteer work has often been sparked by particular events, such as when the Rohingya boat crisis occurred in this region in mid-2015.

That inspired Dr Tan and three others (in Bangkok, Hong Kong and Indonesia) to create the Southeast Asia Refugees Support Network, a social media platform for individuals and civil groups to create initiatives to help refugees.

After 10 years of working with the Health Ministry, a career break spent in Nepal set him on his current path.

“I raised funds among family and friends, then went to Jampa Ling, a Tibetan refugee settlement, to serve as an English teacher and doctor at its small clinic. We raised enough to renovate the clinic, hostel and school, and buy books for the library,” he said.

His first three-month mission with MSF was to deal with a malnutrition emergency in Ethiopia; on his second, nine months in Sierra Leone saw him dealing with outbreaks of lassa fever and cholera, among other illnesses.

Dr Tan is now vice-president of the MSF’s Hong Kong Directors’ Board, and the first Malaysian doctor elected to the board.

He has since moved from MSF frontlines to a more managerial role, because he wanted to see and influence the bigger picture.

“You can find something positive in every situation. When the Kuala Lumpur soup kitchens were under threat in 2014, that brought the often invisible urban poor to everyone’s attention, and it resulted in the building of the Medan Tuanku Feeding Centre,” he said.

However, long hours of volunteering do not come without a price.

“Social and family life definitely suffer,” said Dr Tan. “But I make sure that every Sunday is a family day. I cook dinner, and the whole family gathers at my parents’ place.

“I get a lot of people asking if I do this because I am a religious person. No, I am an atheist. Morality and religiousness are not necessarily tied together. I believe in living in the moment, in doing what I can now, because I have only one life and I want it to be a purposeful one.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/n ... ng-the-unfortunate/

pada masa yg sama, org alim sibuk nak bakar @Maideen.   kat neraka  

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 17-5-2016 12:04 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 12:07 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Gamba tu macam ada zen lah. Tenang jah tengok.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 12:10 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Acong_II replied at 16-5-2016 11:59 PM
Wednesday, 11 May 2016
Doctor devotes life to helping the unfortunate
BY SUZANNE LAZAROO

Mohon acong sediakan pili bomba terdekat siap2 sblm doktor tu jd bahan bakar ummah suci...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-5-2016 12:25 AM | Show all posts
chazey replied at 17-5-2016 12:07 AM
Gamba tu macam ada zen lah. Tenang jah tengok.

sesat........................

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 01:10 AM | Show all posts
ummah suci terlalu sibuk untuk hal ini. mereka dahagakan fitnah. hashtag, tamakpahala.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 17-5-2016 01:57 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Acong_II replied at 17-5-2016 12:25 AM
sesat........................

Eh cacing tanah, shadap!

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 02:26 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
edee_91 replied at 17-5-2016 01:10 AM
ummah suci terlalu sibuk untuk hal ini. mereka dahagakan fitnah. hashtag, tamakpahala.

Ummah suci kot mana pun cari point jgk nak berdebat mempersoalkan belief orang. lain... kalau dapat patahkan hujah tu umpama menang loteri...

Padahal ummah non believers sikit pun tak berminat nak argue atau soal siasat kepercayaan ummah suci... tapi gigih la ummah suci organize event perbandingan. agama la, tunjuk bukti kebenaran la, ugut2 dgn api neraka la..

Nasihat sana sini nak betulkan orang padahal hidup sendiri pathetic, bercakar sesama sendiri domestically, politically, socially, economically... sana sini haram...

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 17-5-2016 04:40 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by batu_bergolek at 17-5-2016 04:45 AM

Saya beragam islam, tapi ni salah satu fahaman atheist yg saya tiru, iaitu buat baik sbb saya nak buat baik, bukan sbb nak dapat pahala.

Kadang2 saya tgk ramai yg buat baik sbb nak pahala (dah terbawa2), siap ada ceramah lagi mengenai buat baik dan ganjaran pahala. Tapi dimana ikhlasnya ? Secara tak disedari, dah jadi "I scratch your back first, U scratch mine later"

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 04:47 AM | Show all posts

Bagi sm, setiap org ada kepercayaan masing-masing. Kita tak perlu judge kepercayaan mana betol, mana salah. Respect sesama kita sudah. Lagi baik atheist dr beragama tapi 24jam sibuk tentukan pahala neraka org, tak sefahaman berpecah pulak.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 05:23 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
bagusnya doc!! msia perlu byk rakyat sebegini

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 05:25 AM | Show all posts
Buat baik pun tak guna juga. Hujung hujung masuk neraka juga.

Sekian dari lobai wannabe malaya.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 05:32 AM | Show all posts
Problem dengan lobai dan lobainita ni mereka buat baik disebabkan nak kan pahala je. Tu masalah dengan mereka.

Kalau mereka buat sumbangan pada orang yang memerluka... dalam fikiran mereka, mereka buat tu hanya untuk saham akhirat katanya.

Disitu pun dah nampak tiada kejujuran. Itu lah ajaran lobai dan lobainita wannabe malaya.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 06:24 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
@kemaruk pasti senyum sinis dgan artikel ini

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 08:04 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
batu_bergolek replied at 17-5-2016 04:40 AM
Saya beragam islam, tapi ni salah satu fahaman atheist yg saya tiru, iaitu buat baik sbb saya nak bu ...

Buat baik sbb nk dpt pahala dr Allah x sama mcm buat baik mengharapkan balasan dr manusia.
Rsnya x salah kot buat baik utk dpt pahala dn ganjaran syurga dr Allah..itu yg dituntut..bukan buat baik sebab harapkan manusia balas.kalau x balas,x nak buat baik.
Perumpaan yg u bagi psl scratch my back,ur back tu lbh sesuai utk manusia yg x ikhlas buat baik..buat baik sbb nk balasan dr manusia lain.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 08:43 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Dr Tan deserves a Datukship. Sumbangan beliau jauh lebih bagus daripada kebanyakkan Datuks.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 17-5-2016 09:30 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
milo_888 replied at 17-5-2016 02:26 AM
Ummah suci kot mana pun cari point jgk nak berdebat mempersoalkan belief orang. lain... kalau dapa ...

Setuju dengan kata2 sis.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 09:38 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Di negara maju, golongan Atheist tidak dipandang hina pun sebab Atheism adalah salah satu fahaman, seperti mereka yang berfahaman Kristian, Islam, Hindu ataupun Buddha.
Lagi respect kat mereka yang atheist tapi berperangai baik dan tidak memburukkan kepercayaan orang lain daripada mereka yang kononnya beragama tetapi berperangai buruk dan suka memburukkan kepercayaan orang lain.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 10:01 AM | Show all posts
milo_888 replied at 17-5-2016 02:26 AM
Ummah suci kot mana pun cari point jgk nak berdebat mempersoalkan belief orang. lain... kalau dapa ...

tompang tanya sat, kak milo_88869 ni islam ka???

Use magic Report

Post time 17-5-2016 10:16 AM | Show all posts
apatah lagi apabila mengatakan agama lain or yg x beragama tu confirm masuk neraka.

kita percaya. tp jgn ucapkan sampai org lain rasa kecik hati. itulah lobai dan lobainita lupa. asyik nak haramkan itu ini. kapir org itu ini.

acong boleh ckp apa saja dlm forum ni selagi hayatnya dikandung badan. tapi selepas itu kita x tahukan.

sbbnya x pernah lagi ade org mati hiudp balik lepas tu ceritakan pengalaman dia semasa mati. kalo yg nyaris2 nak kena tanam sebab disangka mati adelah kheennn.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

28-4-2024 02:48 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.104850 second(s), 50 queries .