CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: Greenbottle3

Reading for Pleasure...my list...and yours?

[Copy link]
Post time 10-1-2005 11:08 AM | Show all posts
before this, i used to read most of the john grisham book. runway jury, pelican brief, street lawyer, a few good man,painted house sampai satu stage i really get bored with it..
bila bosan-bosan, i read something yang romantik, yang syahdu so i read judith mcnought, sidney sheldon, barbara taylor, nora robertson (betul ke nama dia macam ni ) tapi alah, kisah cinta selalu buat saya cepat bosan.
saya masih ingat membaca tulisan karim raslan dalam ceritalah..., hero dan menjajat asia tenggara (malay translation) i like the way he put his thinking in his word.
i wanted to read something more close to my root, my heart so i read the crazed from one chinese author, nanjing 1937, ayu utami latest book which i forget the title and now try very hard to finish the da vinci code from dan brown.
  but most of it, so far yang best pernah saya baca, chin peng and detention without trial tulisan dari seorang bekas tahanan ISA. sometime we need to get real.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 10-1-2005 11:10 AM | Show all posts
and malay writer, so far i love juktaposisi from hizairi othman.
i wish he still alive.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-6-2005 12:22 PM | Show all posts

Yusuf Ali - the Translator of the Qur'an

Searching for Solace- Biography of Yusuf Ali the translator of the Quran;

What a surprise!

Use magic Report

Post time 25-6-2005 04:30 PM | Show all posts
Yusuf Ali? first time to hear about him...

Agree on you about your last lines above...

Use magic Report

Post time 25-6-2005 09:54 PM | Show all posts
Good review. Tried reading. The first few pages are too boring.

Perhaps I should try again.

Use magic Report

Post time 26-6-2005 04:31 PM | Show all posts

salam..

揟he Glorious Qur抋n

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 28-6-2005 04:04 PM | Show all posts
[quote]But

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-6-2005 06:46 PM | Show all posts
Ms Serimatahari,

As mentioned, Yusuf Ali is the most famous translator of the Qur'an in English.....

There are others including christians...but his is considered to be the most accurate and 'poetic' and closest to the Arabic text by some....

Marmaduke Pikthall's is also considered  good and 'accurate'....

There are others of course... including  exegesis /interpretations ...i.e "tafsirs"..such as Fi Zilal ul Qur'an.....which are translated into English....

Mr Pessoa;

This biography is not 'literary' so I can understand when you say it's 'boring'....it's just a straightforward no nonsense writing which one should expect from "a system analyst"?

He's no Martin Amis...

Mr Mhfbcf...

I'm afraid you got me... I don't know who those guys are/were... are they also translators of the Qur'an??

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 30-6-2005 10:04 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 29/6/05 06:46 PM:
This biography is not 'literary' so I can understand when you say it's 'boring'....it's just a straightforward no nonsense writing which one should expect from "a system analyst"?

I tot:hmm: literature supposed to be boring...vice versa...:hmm:

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-7-2005 06:52 PM | Show all posts
Madam sribumi;

I'm lucky in the sense that I get to know lit by myself...selftaught...so I don't have to go through all those boring  gruelling  and tedious analyses and all those works involved in lit study....Yes, lit can be very boring if you look it this way.... but for me...take the analogy of driving a Ferari...it's thrilling to drive it but I'm sure it's very boring to be an engineer and talk about what makes ferari a great car....same thing with literary books...it can be very2 interesting if you just enjoy it and don't try to take it apart...if you know what I mean...

And I'm fortunate enough never to get exposed to trash readings... all those stupid harold robbins, danielle steele and the rest of those merceneray writers and popcorn artists who are just after your money....

Use magic Report

Post time 4-7-2005 02:45 PM | Show all posts
okay...got what u r driving at...

tot u want to review books u have bought n read recently...

Use magic Report

Post time 7-7-2005 11:26 PM | Show all posts

Dear Mr Greenbottle The Third .... Salam,

Iam a makcik oh i see well those two gentleman a

dr Muhammad Taq-ud - Din al Hilali PhD ( Berlin)
Professor of Islamic Faith and TEachings
Islamic UNiversity
Madina Al - Munawarra

Dr Muhammad Muhsin Khan
Islamic University
Al ) madina Al - Munawarra

Tafsir Maknawi   of  Al _ quranul KArim is the titled
Interpretation of The meanings of the Noble quran
A summarized Version of At - TAbari, Al _ Qurtubi and Ibn Kathir with commments fom sahih Bukhairi
my sis got this From London i think nice lah actually even  the LAtter Dr Dr Muhsin Khan is the involved with another  Summarised sahih Al - Bukhari
i think you cpould even get that at Muzium Kesenian Islam i think if iam not mistaken.

Wassalam...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 8-7-2005 01:23 AM | Show all posts
oooh..minta maaf madam mbhcfs!!

Thanks for the clarification... sound very interesting!...

Boleh jelaskan lebih lanjut sikit.... saya memang minat benar nak baca apa2 berkaitan Tabari dan Al Qurtubi ni....

di rumah dekat kampung kitab2 Arab banyak sebab adik sorang tu belajar arab...tapi saya tak faham malang nya...oh by the way...kalau ada yang nakal2, kena tangkap khalwat...baleh bagi tau saya supaya saya suruh dia ringankan sikit denda!!!! dia ni hakim syarei ...

Use magic Report

Post time 8-7-2005 01:28 AM | Show all posts

laa..

bukan depa citer ttg hal At Tabari tapi  bila you baca tafsir  tu , sesetengah ayat  the word is numbered like footnotes tu yeah that's why i love it the sources being quoted , clarified , ade glossary and i think you cuba tengok kat Muzium kesenian Islam tu..i like it actually...like Tafsir Ar RAhman but  in english lah ..but you know get it ...

Use magic Report

Post time 8-7-2005 02:27 AM | Show all posts
[quote]Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 25-6-2005 12:22:
why did his sons turned against him? Why did he disown his sons from his first marriage? Were they brought up as muslims? Who were they?  What happened to the  thousands of his book collection?  how is it that a man who had done such a fine translation of the Quran in his fifties  could  spiral to such a bad end within two decades?卛t came about that in his last decade his personal life came to such a very sad end , wondering around alone in London like a bag lady   and  died alone in a state of dementia

Use magic Report

Post time 8-7-2005 03:11 AM | Show all posts
oh ya datuk saya dulu bukan hakim la tapi arwah nenek cakap arwah datuk saya ada jugak org mai rujuk .. Nama dia Haji Sulaiman bin Fakih  Daim ..ada madsrasah nama dia kat Permtanag PAuh tu sungguh aih ...oh

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 8-7-2005 05:51 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 3-7-2005 18:52:
And I'm fortunate enough never to get exposed to trash readings... all those stupid harold robbins, danielle steele and the rest of those merceneray writers and popcorn artists who are just after your money....

...trash reading is always for pleasure...i dont find that stupid though...whatever books u read...if u can benefit from it...then i think its worth it...u are only stupid if u impose onto yourself a restriction and limitations to your reading materials...:bgrin:

Use magic Report

Post time 20-8-2005 02:30 PM | Show all posts

these 4-6 months

i m in love with Tami Hoag...
till now baru 3 yg baca... hoping to get more of hers.
done

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 20-8-2005 02:35 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by naniza at 10-1-2005 11:10 AM
and malay writer, so far i love juktaposisi from hizairi othman.
i wish he still alive.

me too... he's d' best so far... tak stereotype

Use magic Report

Post time 23-8-2005 08:27 AM | Show all posts
i was wondering.. mana yer nak cari jukstaposisi hizairi othman?
it's like the book is out of print lepas dia dah tak ada.. susah betul nak cari..
can someone help?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

6-5-2024 01:10 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.083631 second(s), 47 queries .