ADVERTISEMENT

12Next
Return to list New
View: 11581|Reply: 36

Books that have changed your perspective in life

[Copy link]
Post time 29-3-2006 10:44 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,

I am creating this thread so that you guys can list down all the books that have made deep impact on you, in a way that they change your perspective in life.

If I may start, those books would be:
1. Manusia Terkaya di Babylon (a Malay translation of The Richest Man in Babylon)
I read this book when I was 18. This book taught me to save at least 10% of my monthly income. However, I must admit that I did not follow the rule when I was in university. (I considered my scholarship  allowance as my income back then). Luckily as I started to work, I do follow this rule and save more than that.

Also, this book taught the concept of making our money work for us instead of us working for money. This concept is revolutionary to me at the age of 18. This can be achieved through compounding interest. If I still remember it correctly, the book did stated that the more we save, the harder our money will work for us. That's why I try to save as much money as I can so that I could work less and make my money work harder for me.

This was an excellent book back in 20th century. Nowadays, we do have other excellent books such as Azizi Ali's Millionaires Are from a Different Planet. Both are a must read if you guys are really interested to learn on how to manage your money.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 29-3-2006 11:00 PM | Show all posts
2. The Millionaire Next Door
Authors: Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko

This book was an eye opener to me because all these while I would imagine a millionaire would lead to an extravagant decadent lifestyle.  Thanks to Hollywood, you might be thinking that an average millionaire would do nothing but relaxing, lazying, partying every night and regularly holidaying at some Carribean islands sipping Pina Colladas under the bright sun shine. But I was completely wrong after reading this book.

The book presented a series of study by the authors on the lifestyle of average millionaires in America. Surprisingly their lifestyles are not like what producers in Hollywood are trying to potray. I was shocked to read that most of the millionaires surveyed have never purchased any watch costing more than $500! (Hope I get the figure exactly right). That means no expensive Rolex for them I suppose. (I was made to understand that a Rolex would cost around RM10,000). Furthermore, most of them would prefer to buy locally made cars as opposed to imported cars. That means no BMWs and Mercedeses! Can you imagine that. No, I dont think so.

Now, I am less impressed with bloody young guys who drove in expensive cars. I now realized that most of them are not millionaires. Need confirmation? Just ask.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 29-3-2006 11:26 PM | Show all posts
I agree with you MACD.

The Richest Man in Babylon is fantastic book for financial palnning the classic way.

The Millionaire Next Door  is fantastic too. You are not what you drive man....

Use magic Report

Post time 29-3-2006 11:32 PM | Show all posts
Books that have made deep impact to me , in a way that they change my  perspective in life.

Simply Your Life by Elaine St. James.

I follow 35 % of  the suggestion and the results  is really really impressive. I have more time to spent, more money in my bank  and less complicated life.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 31-3-2006 08:01 AM | Show all posts
hmmm.. cik mod sure tersengih ni kalau baca

the book that changed my perspective in life is

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom

sebab.. cerita ni menceritakan kisah seorang janitor di amusement park.. dia mmg rasa tiada apa-apa contribution kat dunia.. tapi masa dia mati, along the way to heaven, he meets 5 people, whose life is affected by him, interwoven in his life story.. whether he noticed or not. and that shows, he did changed the world in his own way.

it makes me realise; kerja anda yang tidak seberapa itulah.. yang anda sangka tidak memberikan apa-apa sumbangan, sebenarnya banyak memberikan sumbangan direct/indirect kepada orang lain..

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-3-2006 11:26 AM | Show all posts
Mitch Albom ni pengarang Tuesday With Morrie ke? I selalu dgr pasal buku ni.

Well maybe once in a while I should read fiction books

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 31-3-2006 11:30 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by MACD at 31/3/06 11:26 AM
Mitch Albom ni pengarang Tuesday With Morrie ke? I selalu dgr pasal buku ni.

Well maybe once in a while I should read fiction books

Yes MACD, Tuesday with Morrie is also food for the soul..

Me thinks Mitch Albom is a very good motivational writer due to the fact the motivation is hidden in the message of every story

Use magic Report

Post time 11-4-2006 12:18 AM | Show all posts
Financial - The Wealthy Barber - similar to RM in Babylon and Millionaire Next Door.

Personal Development - 7 Habits (Covey) & Seeds of Greatness (Denis Waitley) - changed my perspective of personal effectiveness

Leadership - The Leadership Engine (Tichy) - great book that explain Jack Welch's success

Seerah/Spiritual - ar-Raheeq al-Makhtum (sirah Rasulullah s.a.w.) - very beautifully done

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 14-4-2006 07:12 PM | Show all posts
I love to read Personality Plus..even though the book didnt teach me how to get rich..but it explains about other ppl behaviour..that makes me understand why ppl behave in a certain way..makes me cope with life easier!

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 17-4-2006 12:37 AM | Show all posts
ada dua buku kot. buku A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry dengan buku Laa Tahzan. yang buku A Fine Balance tu, buatkan aku sedar betapa mewahnya kehidupan kita sebenarnya berbanding orang lain yg hidup kat negara miskin dan buku yang kedua
mengajar aku jangan bersedih, banyak banyak renungkan hikmah dalam hidup ni.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 19-4-2006 01:15 AM | Show all posts
shogun n roots
for obvious reason : historical value

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 19-4-2006 08:15 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by limau_nipis at 31-3-2006 08:01 AM
hmmm.. cik mod sure tersengih ni kalau baca

the book that changed my perspective in life is

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom

:nerd: Badai Semalam kot:hmm:...yg memula influence...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Mr.Forensics This user has been deleted
Post time 22-4-2006 06:09 PM | Show all posts
sh*t
shahnon ahmad.

mengubah hidup aku...banyaklahh..

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 23-4-2006 11:10 AM | Show all posts
heard this is a good book...read it in another form...not a book...

Who Moved My Cheese?

An Amazing Way to Deal With Change In Your Work & In Your Life
DR SPENCER JOHNSON

揅heese

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 23-4-2006 01:27 PM | Show all posts

Reply #14 seribulan's post

yup - good book.  I first got to know abt this from an animation shown as part of a training session.

Use magic Report

Post time 23-4-2006 07:58 PM | Show all posts
[quote]Originally posted by seribulan at 23-4-2006 11:10
heard this is a good book...read it in another form...not a book...

Who Moved My Cheese?

An Amazing Way to Deal With Change In Your Work & In Your Life
DR SPENCER JOHNSON

揅heese

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 25-4-2006 07:15 AM | Show all posts
nope, got it in another form...

Use magic Report

Post time 26-4-2006 09:34 AM | Show all posts

Reply #13 Mr.Forensics's post

rae bacer gak buku nih.....tapi....maybe sbb i'm a philistine kot, tu sbb tak paham apa yng shahnon ahmad try nk sampaikan....

yang rae dapat dari buku tu cumerla sh*t melalui saluran badan...tak paham ngan susur galur bahasanya...

Use magic Report

Post time 26-4-2006 09:43 AM | Show all posts

oh...yang ni bukan buku motivasi...or buku get rich or die trying

firstly - Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. citer pencuri ni dengan kejayaan dier membuka bandar smpi jd mayor lg mmg mengimpakkan positif untuk aku...[bahasa ape aku pakai nih?]halfway thru jer baca buku ni sbb pinjam jer, tp it's made deep impact dah....nnti after exam mebe leh smbg bacer kot

secondly - short story by Oscar Wilde - The Selfich Giant. rae mmg practically menangis maser Giant tu mati.....this short story is very profound in the sense that in such limited words[considering it's a short story] it has certainly made me try and LOOK the good in myself!

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 30-4-2006 07:07 AM | Show all posts
recollect another one...

MY FAMILY AND OTHER ANIMALS...Gerard Durrell...

A very good reading...Humorous, Poignant etc...makes
you feel like to start explore and appreciate Nature and
People...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

20-4-2024 12:33 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.072557 second(s), 47 queries .