Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: tig_cun

Log Bacaan

Close [Copy link]
Post time 4-1-2004 10:42 AM | Show all posts
buku The Man Eater of Mulgudi  -- by R K Narayan

Nataraj's tranquil life is disturbed when Vasu the taxidermist rents space above his printing shop. His grotesque animals, stuffed hyenas and pythons, and his weakness for dancing women whom he brings in by using the printer's private stairs, are all too much to bear. Sometime after Vasu threatens the life of a temple elephant that Nataraj has befriended, Vasu turns up dead and Nataraj and many of his friends are suspected of killing him.

[ Last edited by gorgonz on 12-1-2004 at 11:25 AM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 4-1-2004 11:03 AM | Show all posts
the glass lake - maeve binchy

[ Last edited by lorenabobbit on 4-1-2004 at 01:20 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 4-1-2004 09:43 PM | Show all posts
Assalamualaikum...
novel melayu yg terakhir myra baca ~ Bunga Bukan Semusim (Elias Hj Idris)
                                                 ~ Rindu (Norhayati Berahim)
                                                 ~ Air Mata Kasih (Norhayati Berahim)

Novel BI lak ~ Can u keep a secret (Sophie Kinsella)
                 ~ shopaholics series (Sophie Kinsella)

Use magic Report

Post time 5-1-2004 03:24 AM | Show all posts
Bunga Bukan Semusim ... few weeks ago ...

Use magic Report

amdude This user has been deleted
Post time 5-1-2004 07:34 PM | Show all posts
last week baru habis baca 2 buah buku...
1. Tenggelamnya Kapal Van Der Wijck by Hamka
2. Satu Janji by Ramlee Awang Murshid

Sekarang tgh baca a motivational book by Carnagie Dale... How To Stop Worrying & Start Living

Use magic Report

zacky This user has been deleted
Post time 5-1-2004 09:46 PM | Show all posts
mimpi pun berguguran - lupa lak pengarang - ... afiera malik

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 5-1-2004 10:43 PM | Show all posts
THE ROALD DAHL TREASURY

Use magic Report

Post time 11-1-2004 07:20 PM | Show all posts
baru habis House of Sand and Fog dari ANdre Dubus III, sebelum itu Cold Mountain dari Charles Frazier

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

bookworm This user has been deleted
Post time 12-1-2004 08:01 PM | Show all posts
"Girl With A Pearl Earring" by Tracy Chevalier

It's a light historical fiction (17th century, but beautiful.  The story revolves around Vermeer's famous paintings, putting emphasis on the piece called the "Girl With A Pearl Earring"...a painting of Griet, a maid in Vermeer's household.  The book also shows how Griet getting fascinated with his work, the world of arts and colours, and starting to help him in the studio, but causing a threat to her respectability and disruption his family.  I found it romantic, but not sappy at all.  So, if you're interested in romance books, I highly recommend you to read this one.  By the way, the movie will come out this Jan 16 :bg:

Use magic Report

Post time 12-1-2004 09:30 PM | Show all posts
Aku beberapa kali gak nak beli buku tuh... tapi ntah macam tak berminat lak...  tak tau kenapa, selalu buku pasal lukisan ni seronok dibaca, macam Headlong (Michael Frayn) ngan The tempest (Tores-Gonzales?)...

Use magic Report

Post time 12-1-2004 11:41 PM | Show all posts
maksud you buku "The Tempest" by Juan Manuel de Prada, ke?  penat cari kat Amazon "Tores-Gonzales" tapi tak jumpa .  anyway, I think buku Chevalier tu appeals more to female readers.  I haven't read the books you mentioned, but perhaps male writers present their stories in a different style when it comes to art and you just prefer those style of writing because you find them more interesting?  "The Tempest" tu sounds interesting and I'll definitely put it down on my "To read" list :bg:

Use magic Report

Post time 13-1-2004 12:36 AM | Show all posts
Ha ha ha...Torres Gonzales tuh buat apa hah? Aku rasa ada baca buku dia (atau orang nama seperti dia tulis..atau mungkin aku tebaca nama tuh dalam Memoir Neruda...) Aku baru tengok balik Tempest, turns out cerita je ok tapi tulisan (atau translation) dier tak okeh... pompous semacam jer... Buku Michael Frayn tuh nominated for Booker same year ngan Coetzee's Disgrace, and I think it should've won the booker... Disgrace is too depressing...

Come to think of it, giving the Nobel to Coetzee is a travesty, considering writers liike Orhan Pamuk n' Kundera belum dapat lagi...

M-

Use magic Report

Post time 13-1-2004 01:40 AM | Show all posts
Well...I haven't read any of Coetzee's books sebab macam nampak tak menarik aje (for now).  I don't really know on what criteria they choose a Nobel Laureate apart from talent.  Maybe some politcal stance or opinion contributes to it as well?  I mean...I read somewhere that Coetzee is strongly oppose to apartheid and he used this in several of his books.  I haven't read Churchill's memoir or any books he has written, but do you think he really deserved the Nobel Prize?

I have read "My Name Is Red" by Pamuk last year and I remember not liking it very much.  A bit cold for my taste.  Tapi, rasanye tak adil lah nak judge just from one book aje.  I like Milan Kundera..although I have only read "The Unbearable Lightness of Being".

Use magic Report

Post time 13-1-2004 01:47 AM | Show all posts
>>>.I read somewhere that Coetzee is strongly oppose to apartheid

but...but... aparthaidd is soooo passe... If politics were the criteria, then some muslim-basher should win... er... Naipaul did win... uh, ok then...

>>>I have read "My Name Is Red" by Pamuk last year and I remember not liking it very much.

Thou art blaspheming! (errr is that such a word?) or should it be, thou hast spoken blasphemy! Repent now! Repent before the altar of Orhan (as we Pamukist call him...)

>>>I like Milan Kundera..although I have only read "The Unbearable Lightness of Being".

Well, that's good enough for a Nobel... anyway  his novels (nobel/novel eugh!) are
more or less the same...

Use magic Report

Post time 13-1-2004 01:59 AM | Show all posts
"Thou art blaspheming! (errr is that such a word?) or should it be, thou hast spoken blasphemy! Repent now! Repent before the altar of Orhan (as we Pamukist call him...)"

Aiya....tak boleh nak repent....but I'm willing to give another book by Pamuk a go!  Who knows...I may change my opinion!  But not for now.  Anyway, you did mention that Saramago is one of your favourite writers.  I've only read "Blindness"...hmm...2 years ago..I think.  I'd like to read Baltasar and Blimuda, and The Year of The Death of Ricardo Reis.  Which one would you recommend me to read...even if they're not one of those two?

Use magic Report

Post time 13-1-2004 03:19 AM | Show all posts
There's no hope for you, my child. My Name is Red, is Orhan's best book (And the best novel I've read my entire life, dammit!). I will pray for your soul.

Baltasar and Blimunda was the last Saramago book I've read, and truthfully, I was kinda feeling Out-Saramagoed by then (having read his other 7 books...) A lot of people said it's his best book - I'm sure it could be, but the most enjoyable for me was The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis. I wouldn't recommend this book, unless you have some knowledge of the Portugese poet Fernando Pessoa (the Book of Disquiet is a work of pure genious) and the story of his heteronyms (short story: Pessoa wrote using a lot of heteronyms, i.e. psedonyms with their own personalities + Lives, Ricardo Reis was one of them)...

Perhaps you would enjoy All the Names more, certainly one of Saramago's easiest book to read (not as easy as Blindness, though, which is almost Stephen-Kingy)...

Oh, but how could I forget, The Tale of an Unknown Island...20 pages (with 20 illustrations) of pure bliss... Way more profound than Little Prince (my opinion...)

M-

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 13-1-2004 03:36 AM | Show all posts
Satu lagi buku yang mungkin menarik ialah The Question of Bruno oleh Aleksander Hemon (short stories collection)  - mengikut cerita beliau (yang berhijrah dari Sarajevo ke Amerika) mempelajari bahasa Inggeris dengan membaca Lolita (Vladimir Nabakov).

M-

Use magic Report

Post time 13-1-2004 04:50 PM | Show all posts
Cool!  Many new ideas on what I should get the next time I go to the bookstore :bg:

Thanks a lot!

Use magic Report

Post time 13-1-2004 08:36 PM | Show all posts
I remember reading a book...My Family and other Animals
but don't recall the author....a "cute" book about a boy
living in ...ooo...d*mn...can't recall...haa..the island of
Corfu is I'm not mistaken...such a nice light reading...hem...

Use magic Report

Post time 14-1-2004 01:01 PM | Show all posts
1515 - Faisal Tehrani

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

26-4-2024 02:39 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.065815 second(s), 42 queries .