Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: R2D2

[Tempatan] 1,000 juruterbang menganggur, hangus RM200K post #351, pages 14

[Copy link]
Post time 11-7-2012 05:16 PM | Show all posts
Reply 339# kelana36

waa..byk info dari abg kelana..anak bujang jah minat pilot..tapi dia tecikkk lagi baru 11 yrs..baru dapat lesen pilot dari Kidzania..
    punya lah dia suka..nnti kita suruh dia pm abang kelana yer..

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 11-7-2012 05:28 PM | Show all posts
Reply  kelana36

ooooohhhhhh...sukar jugak ye nak jadi pilot ni....
tukul Post at 11-7-2012 13:08

Memang sukar... tapi biasa la pilots nampak cool jer, hehe. Bagi penumpang rasa confident  

Tapi ada kata ..  ala dia orang tu SPM holders jer....  

Use magic Report

Post time 11-7-2012 05:31 PM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by apam at 11-7-2012 17:39
excellent point of view...u must be someone who is successful in life...

well, truth be to ...
ifanonline Post at 6-7-2012 15:53

there is no perfect system to cater every angle of one's life.....kekekekee.....lesen ni hanya Alllah yg pegang....manusia mana ade...kekekeke

Use magic Report

Post time 11-7-2012 05:35 PM | Show all posts
students nowadays should give extra effort doing some research about what they opt to learn in the f ...
langitluas Post at 6-7-2012 15:38

life is just like that...go anywhere in the world, you'll find the same thing......even in afghanistan...ekekekeke......nobody has the right to tell a child what they shud dream of.......one man's meat is another man's poison....fail here, success there....God Almighty....kekekeke

Use magic Report

Post time 11-7-2012 05:38 PM | Show all posts
aku rasa fenomena ni hanya sementara sebab supply dah terlampau ramai dan keyakinan org ramai terhadap kerjaya pilot dah melampaui batas2 yg wajar. Jadi akan banyak hiccups here n there becos people rushing....kekekeke.....tapi pilot akan sentiasa diperlukan selagi manusia fly dan akan terus menjadi karier impian. kekekeke...bukan senang bawak kapal terbang bhaiii.....

Use magic Report

Post time 11-7-2012 06:59 PM | Show all posts
...Takpe lah...nanti kalau terjadi peperangan, kita dah ada ready pool of potential fighter pilots........or kamikaze pilots...:lol

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 11-7-2012 07:07 PM | Show all posts
...Takpe lah...nanti kalau terjadi peperangan, kita dah ada ready pool of potential fighter pilots.; ...
freebird Post at 11-7-2012 14:59

Kalau fighter planes nya ada banyak... Ramai jer yg nak volunteer. Termasuk aku sendiri.. Ni depa sndiri pun tak cukup planes nak terbang..

Use magic Report

Post time 12-7-2012 08:16 AM | Show all posts
Airline Transport Pilot Licence

Nak dapatkan benda ni, kena pass all the ground subj ...
kelana36 Post at 11-7-2012 16:57

owh, maceh perincian ituew...

btw, mike pilot jugak ke? payah benau yek, mmg kesian lah kat yg kuar duit sampai 200k, habuk pun tarak....

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 12-7-2012 08:42 AM | Show all posts
Memang sukar... tapi biasa la pilots nampak cool jer, hehe. Bagi penumpang rasa confident  ...
kelana36 Post at 11-7-2012 17:28

orang yg cakap cenggitu tuh...deme jeles...kan ramai kata pilot hensem...kihkihkih

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-7-2012 09:10 AM | Show all posts
Forecast pilot shortage raises safety concerns

WASHINGTON: An industry forecast that nearly half a million new airline pilots will be needed worldwide over the next 20 years as airlines expand their fleets has raised safety concerns that airlines will hire lower caliber pilots as they struggle to fill slots.

Boeing, one of the world’s largest makers of commercial jetliners, forecasts about 465,000 new pilots will be needed worldwide between now and 2031 as global economies expand and airlines take deliveries of tens of thousands of new commercial jetliners. The forecast includes 69,000 new pilots in the North America, mostly in the US. The greatest growth will be in is the Asia-Pacific region, where an estimated 185,600 new pilots will be needed.  

Likewise, Boeing predicts 601,000 new aircraft maintenance technicians will be needed over the same period, with greatest demand — 243,500 technicians — in the Asia-Pacific region. An estimated 92,500 new technicians will North America.  

The rising global demand for airline pilots has raised concern among industry and government officials that there will be a global and a domestic pilot shortage.  

“In many regions of the world, a pilot shortage is already here,” the Boeing forecast said. “Asia Pacific in particular is experiencing delays and operational interruptions due to pilot scheduling constraints.”  

That’s particularly true in China and India, industry officials said. Airlines based in Asia and the Middle East have been holding pilot job fairs in the U.S. and thousands of pilots laid off due to U.S. airline bankruptcies and mergers are now flying for foreign carriers.  

“We have airlines around the world as they buy our airplanes and come to us on the training side of the house, saying `We’re struggling to fill (pilot) seats. Can you help us?’ “ said Carl Davis, Boeing’s chief of pilot services. Davis presented his company’s forecast Thursday at conference in Washington on pilot training hosted by the Air Line Pilots Association, the world’s largest pilot union.  

US industry and government officials are also concerned that the rising global demand for pilots, combined with an anticipated wave in pilot retirements and tougher qualification standards for new pilots that kick-in next year, will create a domestic shortage as well.  

“I’m concerned because it has safety implications,” John Allen, the Federal Aviation Administration’s director of flight services, told The Associated Press.  

Allen said he wants to spur a discussion among industry, labor unions, and academia about a potential shortage that will “really look at this and address it, not to just sweep it under the rug ... Is this a problem? And, if it is a problem, how bad is it?”  

He said he is fearful that if there is a shortage, airlines will hire pilots who are technically qualified but don’t have the “right stuff.”  

“If the industry is stretched pretty thin ... that can result in someone getting into the system that maybe isn’t really the right person to be a pilot. Not everybody is supposed to be a pilot,” Allen said.  

Officials for the Airlines for America and the International Air Transport Association didn’t respond to a request for comment.  

Lee Moak, president of the pilots union, said he doubts a pilot shortage will be felt in the U.S. for about three to five years. If U.S. airlines start hiring pilots in large numbers, he said, pilots now flying for foreign carriers will likely return home. There are currently about 90,000 airline pilots in the U.S. and Canada, he said.  

“Globally is another matter,” Moak said.  

Industry and government officials anticipate a wave of pilot retirements at U.S. airlines beginning this year.  Five years ago, the FAA raised the mandatory retirement age for pilots from 60 to 65. The fifth anniversary of that decision is Dec. 13. Pilots who were age 60 on that date five years ago will now have to retire.  

Also, FAA regulations created in response to an aviation safety law passed by Congress two years ago will raise the experience threshold required to be an airline first officer from the current 250 hours of flying time to 1,500 hours, the same level as required of captains.  -- AP

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-10-2012 09:16 AM | Show all posts
Sunday October 28, 2012

Pilots come down to earth
By REVATHI MURUGAPPAN
revathi@thestar.com.my

Young, jobless pilots are scrambling to make ends meet with the current glut in pilots.

SINCE he was six, S. Nathan has harboured the dream of becoming a pilot. It was an arduous journey to materialise his ambition but he made it. His parents were not affluent so he scrimped, saved, worked, invested in shares and sought ways to increase his education fund. Finally, he sold his car, took a loan and with additional funding from his family, enrolled in a flying school in Malacca in 2007.

After investing nearly RM250,000 in his studies, Nathan graduated top of his class in 2009 and earned himself a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL). No one could have been prouder than his labourer parents. But three years on, he's still struggling to find employment.

“I've tried applying to all the local airlines but to no avail. Some of my coursemates are also in the same boat and are selling burgers and insurance to survive,” says Nathan, 30, who helps his parents run a sundry store and repairs computers to make ends meet.

Unlike other friends who have found jobs with several Indonesian airlines, Nathan prefers to seek jobs locally as he is the only son.

He says, “Both my parents are in their seventies and as a filial son, I have the responsibility of taking care of them. People might say I'm stubborn but I'd like to think I have perseverance. All I want to do is become a pilot. It's not going to help if I have a gloom and doom attitude, so I'll keep trying.”

On a suggestion by Department of Civil Aviation director-general Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman to unemployed pilots to consider getting helicopter licences, Nathan lets out a cynical laugh.

“We've just spent a quarter of a million ringgit and have yet to pay up our loans. Where are we going to get the extra money (to obtain a helicopter licence) from?” asks Nathan.

Fellow pilot Low Kong Chian is also in the same predicament. He graduated in 2010 but has yet to find a flying job. He is currently dabbling in an embroidery business while continuing to apply for jobs as a pilot.

He confesses, “I don't enjoy what I'm doing but I do not have many alternatives. I can't afford to pay for the licence conversion (around RM100,000) to become a pilot with any Indonesia airlines. And it's not viable for me to get a helicopter licence either.”

Low lives with his parents in Klang and works from home to cut costs.

Despite holding a CPL and a Private Pilot Licence (PPL), A.William, 26, works at a call centre in an insurance agency while waiting for his dream job.

He obtained part of his licence overseas and part of it locally.

“For freshies, it's harder to get jobs in foreign airlines because we don't have enough experience. I could get an instructor licence but that would mean clocking in additional hours and forking out more money. My father withdrew all his EPF savings to pay for my education so I have to do something to survive. I can't depend on him forever.

“This is just a temporary job and I hope my situation will improve soon,” he says.

Nathan, Low and William are among 1,174 young pilots in the country with CPLs and Frozen Airline Transport Pilot Licences (Frozen ATPLs) but are jobless. However, they continue to go for medical tests and sit for exams yearly to keep their licences active in the hope that their dream job will land on their laps quickly.

With a PPL, you can fly throughout Malaysia and carry passengers but you are not allowed to charge for your services. With a CPL, you can work as a pilot. And with an ATPL you can fly as a captain on large aircraft.

A Frozen ATPL is a requirement for a pilot to work in an airline as a co-pilot. To obtain a full ATPL (i.e. “unfreeze”), pilots need to have 1,500 hours total flight time in an aeroplane, or 1,000 hours in a helicopter.

Nathan urges the authorities to relax this ruling for unemployed pilots.

“If we don't complete the hours within a stipulated time, we will have to retake the whole Frozen ATPL examination again. I've been unemployed for three years and I doubt I can unfreeze it in two years. This means I, and hundreds of others, are headed for extra costs and effort,” he laments.

In response to this, Azharuddin says, “If they don't make it in five years, they can appeal and we will treat it on a case to case basis although there have been no such cases. To become a captain is not something you can do by just collecting hours. There are many other factors like showing good commanding skills, etc.”

On the hiring of foreign captains on local airlines, he says it is sometimes a necessity until the qualified Malaysian first officers are promoted.

“When these airlines buy new aircraft, they want ready-made captains and if they don't have them from their stables, they have to get foreigners. For example, one aircraft may need four sets of crew so it would need four captains,” says Azharuddin.

The downturn of the global airline industry in the past few years, cancellation of aircraft orders and escalating fuel prices have contributed to the rise in unemployed pilots. The four DCA-Approved Flying Training Organisations (AFTO) have been asked to temporarily limit their enrolment numbers to reduce the unemployment statistics.

Azharuddin clarified that becoming a helicopter pilot is one of the options for the unemployed to consider, if they have the finances.

“There are a number of off-shore operations here and I'm sure they require helicopter pilots. These unemployed pilots can also venture into jobs in airport management, airport safety, airport operations, etc. Having a CPL will help them in these jobs,” he says.

Presently, the only AFTO that offers helicopter pilot licences in Malaysia is the Asia Pacific Flight Training school (APFT).

The school churns out around 80 CPLs every year although its executive chairman Datuk Faruk Othman admits that the intake has dropped because organisations such as MARA, Malaysia Airlines and AirAsia are not financing students anymore.

“If students have a CPL, it will take them another eight months and roughly RM200,000 to RM250,000 to get a helicopter licence. If they're starting from scratch, it will take around 20 months maximum and RM500,000 to complete the course.

“A career as a helicopter pilot is actually more lucrative than an airline pilot because their training is much harder. We also have students who switch course midway because they see a better future being a helicopter pilot,” says Faruk.

APFT, which began operations in 2006, started offering helicopter licences this year and thus far, the response has been good. Their instructors comprise both locals and foreigners.

“We have students from the Fire Department and I'm happy to note that local institutions have the confidence to send their students to local schools. However, the police still send their students to get their licences overseas because they think the training is better there,” observes Faruk.

Besides working in off-shore operations, helicopter pilots can opt for careers with the police, armed forces, fire department, aerial surveillance and search and rescue operations like what Britain's Prince William does.

Faruk is proud to note that APFT has a 100% accident-free track record.

“Of course, there are incidences of skidding and minor things but so far there have been no fatalities.”

APFT has also employed some of the unemployed pilots to become management trainees at the school.

Faruk says, “These are our students who have obtained their CPLs. We teach them operational duties such as flight scheduling, marketing, etc. They are here for two years and are paid a monthly salary of RM2,000 but they can leave at any time.”

The best cadets are also offered employment as flight instructors and have to undergo six months of training. Since these cadets are APFT's investment, they are bonded for four years upon completion of their training.

“Any pilot can apply for this programme but preference is given to our students,” he says.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-10-2012 09:17 AM | Show all posts
Sunday October 28, 2012

Pilot grads urged to spread their wings
By EILEEN NG
eileen@thestar.com.my

JUNIOR pilots in Malaysia are still dreaming of their pie in the sky despite a glut of rookies in their profession.

Industry players point out these rookies believe they can earn big bucks from commercial airlines immediately after graduation.

However, the reality is most of them will end up not being able to follow their dreams due to limited intake from local airlines for fresh graduates.

Currently, there are five flying schools in the country, churning out about 300 graduates annually. Junior pilots graduate with 200 hours under their belt, enabling them to only fly small aircrafts below 5,700kg.

This does not qualify them to fly for an airline, which would require at least 1,500 flight hours and further intensive type training and stringent tests. Only then would they qualify for an Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL).

What's worse, industry players say junior pilots who end up in the ranks of the unemployed currently numbering 1,174 are still choosy and lack the will to work from the bottom up.

Only one in 10 pilots is willing to rough it out and work as flight instructors or fly smaller aircraft to clock in the necessary hours and experience.

“The majority of them want to work with big airlines only. They do not want to explore other options, which are deemed as non-glamour' jobs,” says pilot, radio deejay and TV personality Johan Farid Khairuddin.

Many have the misconception that being a pilot automatically means earning between RM7,000 and RM10,000 a month but in reality, the rookies have to start at the bottom of the pile, with a pay of about RM4,000, he adds.

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association president P. Surendrasingam attributes this unrealistic expectation to the junior pilots' attitude.

He says there are plenty of jobs as flight instructors and those involving flying smaller planes such as joyride flights or crops spraying but the pilots are reluctant to do so.

“They think it is nice to put on a suit and walk around airports. They are not willing to try any other options.

“If they are willing to exchange the suit for shorts and T-shirts to clock in the required flying hours, they won't have any problems (in securing jobs),” he says.

Pilots flying smaller planes can earn between RM3,000 and RM5,000 a month. Those who take people up for joyrides can earn about RM100 per hour, he adds.

Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman says the department is aware of the seriousness of the current situation and has taken steps to address it.

This includes freezing all new applications for flying schools while the current schools need to get the department's approval on student intake.

“Together with the flying schools, we have informed prospective students and their parents to be aware of the challenges in getting jobs,” he says.

He adds that DCA also encourages pilots who are currently unemployed to register with the department through a Pilot Post Training Registry on its website as well as mulling the possibility of tightening the entry requirements to become pilots.

Royal Selangor Flying Club president Major (R) Abdul Razak Hashim advises junior pilots not to confine their prospects within the country but spread their wings regionally.

“The aviation industry is slowly picking up and there is a demand for pilots, especially co-pilots in Indonesia,” he says.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-10-2012 09:18 AM | Show all posts
Sunday October 28, 2012

Applicants need to meet a minimum standard

BOTH Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and AirAsia run cadet pilot training programmes with MAS recruiting more than 100 cadets annually.

However, according to MAS director of operations, Capt Izham Ismail, the programme has been stopped recently though he gave no reason for this.

“Yes, a large number of applicants used to apply for this training programme and on completion of training, they were absorbed by MAS. The duration of the programme is between 18 and 24 months. We bore the costs initially but the cadet had to pay back through salary deductions once employed,” he says.

Currently, contrary to public perception, there are no foreigners employed as pilots in MAS. The contracts of expatriate pilots were apparently terminated in September 2012. No pilots have been retrenched either.

Capt Izham says, “Recruitment of pilots is very much dependent on MAS' network and fleet size.

“In 2011, MAS recruited B737-rated expatriate pilots (both captains and co-pilots) to fill the shortage as the result of a change in the company's business plan. Rated pilots can be deployed immediately to continue our operations as compared to the normal process of promotion which will take about six months.”

While MAS has stopped its programme, AirAsia continues to take in cadets to ensure there is a constant supply of pilots.

Approximately 2,000 applications are received every year but only 20 to 50 suitable candidates are hired, subject to demand.

“This number varies depending on what is forecast within the market supply. Remember that this programme is to fill up positions two years away. We cannot wait and hope that there is market supply as the effect is significant in ensuring our growth can continue,” says an AirAsia spokesman.

Unpredictable future

He points out that the present glut was not caused by the cadet programme.

“No one knows the future. The demand may increase or reduce, subject to industry fluctuations but we need to ensure we have the supply to support our future growth. The issue of manpower supply is critical worldwide. We need experienced workforce, too, besides grassroots supply.”

AirAsia has 700 pilots at the moment, excluding AirAsia X. A small percentage is made up of foreigners.

The spokesman explains, “The foreigners we have are needed to support the growth while we continuously promote from within. We cannot just promote pilots without sufficient experience to captains.

“Junior pilots or first officers need time to gain exposure and experience before they can be promoted. There is a minimum experience and standards that they need to meet. We use foreign, experienced pilots only to bridge the gap to support the growth as one of the fastest growing companies in the aviation industry.” - By REVATHI MURUGAPPAN

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

26-6-2024 06:37 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.065813 second(s), 34 queries .