Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: muchomike

Rebirth - What is it?

[Copy link]
Post time 6-7-2007 06:23 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by wei_loon5063 at 6-7-2007 03:19 PM

I am learning and teaching at the same time laa

But the people in RFS are @sshole la.... they jst want to fvck ad do not want to learn  

I have quit visiting RSF. Very boriiiiinnnng. Arguing about the same old thing over and over again.
Everything is based on the holey books. Don't they realised that religions are man made?
The holey books were written by man.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 6-7-2007 06:40 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by SONofODIN at 6-7-2007 06:23 PM

I have quit visiting RSF. Very boriiiiinnnng. Arguing about the same old thing over and over again.
Everything is based on the holey books. Don't they realised that religions are man made?

I also quit it.. I just go there BS while then out

Use magic Report

Post time 17-8-2007 08:10 AM | Show all posts
No Soul? No reincarnation?

That means that there is no need for Enlightnment. That is the problem with Mahayana Buddhism - it never mention WHY you need to follow Buddhism and get yourself freed from Samsara. :re:

Which is why Mahayana Buddhism is inaccurate.

Use magic Report

Post time 20-8-2007 08:46 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Sephiroth at 17-8-2007 08:10 AM

That means that there is no need for Enlightnment. That is the problem with Mahayana Buddhism - it never mention WHY you need to follow Buddhism and get yourself fr ...

yes... I think theravada is more accurate........

Use magic Report

Post time 21-8-2007 09:41 AM | Show all posts
Actually, the problem here are not the questions whether Soul or God exist. That is not what Buddhism is about.

Buddhism is Psychology - plain and simple. It studies the relationship on how the Mind and Body works. Humans are in state of Suffering because of their own Mind and Buddhism teaches one to free one's Mind from temptations as well as robust emotions.

Buddhism is not a religion, it is Science of the Mind and Body. But later monks and novice followers turn it into a religion. Some even added Atheist-qualities to Buddhism and use it to attack religious people, which brought Buddhism's own demise in India in later years.

Use magic Report

Post time 6-10-2007 07:04 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Sephiroth at 17/8/2007 08:10

That means that there is no need for Enlightnment. That is the problem with Mahayana Buddhism - it never mention WHY you need to follow Buddhism and get yourself fr ...

No soul and no reincarnation is taught by the Buddha. It is in the Theravada teachings. No reincarnation but there is rebirth.

Rebirth and reincarnation is thought to be the same but actually very different because reincarnation concept is there is a soul living in the body, is like aother thing living in the body, and upon death, the thing living in the body does not die but goes into another body, new one. Rebirth is different. Rebirth is without a soul.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 6-10-2007 07:11 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by wei_loon5063 at 20/8/2007 20:46

yes... I think theravada is more accurate........

Theravada is indeed more towards original Buddhism than Mahayana. Theravada traditions also more similar and nearer to original than Mahayana. Deviant/false teachings in our modern world exist in both Theravada and Mahayana. However can be observed that Mahayana traditions seems to break of from original traditions and many more "after buddha's parinibbana" teachings has arise which contradicts the Buddha's original teachings.

However, in any case, we must refer back to the text which is considered as the original and can be used to compare with other text should doubts arise, that is the early 4 Nikaya (not the 5th one) in the Theravada traditions and in Mahayana is also known as the agama sutra.

Vegetarian is not Buddhism and the Buddha himself ate meat. However the meat he ate was of pure in nature and had certain criteria. Vegetarian concept of Buddhism is practised only by Buddhist of Mahayana tradition

Use magic Report

Post time 6-10-2007 07:12 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Sephiroth at 21/8/2007 09:41
Actually, the problem here are not the questions whether Soul or God exist. That is not what Buddhism is about.

Buddhism is Psychology - plain and simple. It studies the relationship on how th ...

Buddhism is more than what you think it is. True indeed it is not a religion, but bear in mind, the Buddha teaches us that the highest goal is the attainment of nibbana.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

OmAHom This user has been deleted
Post time 7-10-2007 03:10 PM | Show all posts

Reply #1 muchomike's post

Rebirth is similar with Al-Quran's theory, human can born at heaven, or they go to hell first then born to heaven again. That is rebirth you can be easily understand

Use magic Report

Post time 12-10-2007 09:32 AM | Show all posts
We have no control of our future rebirths, unless we have obtained the first fruition of Enlightenment. Where we will reappear after we die is very much dependent on our karma and moment of last thoughts.

However, the current nature of our mind can give us a rough idea on where we will reappear after we die. If naturally we are an unpleasant person, quarrelsome, with lots of greed/hatred/ delusion, then when we die, we will reappear at the woeful states (as most of us will end up).

THerefore, it is very important that we start cultivating good virtues, observe all percepts , giving charity and dana (to lessen greed), and develop our minds to lessen the evils.

may we all be happy.

happy holidays everyone and to muslim friends , selamat hari raya.

p/s Sonofodin + ariya + welon - I have just settled down in KL , was busy shifting here and there. and i have to adapt to the high cost of living in KL

[ Last edited by  tickmeoff at 12-10-2007 09:39 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 13-10-2007 09:25 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tickmeoff at 12/10/2007 09:32
We have no control of our future rebirths, unless we have obtained the first fruition of Enlightenment. Where we will reappear after we die is very much dependent on our karma and moment of last  ...

I beg to differ on your first statement friend. True indeed that our future lives depend on the kamma created, but then, who create our kamma? That question itself is the answer.

Bhante Jutipanno explained, if we truely observe via meditation, there is no "I" or "mine". We can say "I want" to go to toilet... is "I want" but if we observe the truth, it is not so, for the truth is that we are going to toilet because we have an urgency to do so, is not I or we, it is actually a "CONDITION" that results in certain action. Thus it is the condition from many factors which causes the results, or situations.

Thus, with meditation, we can gain wisdom and realise things truely as it is. With this, we are able to clear our defilements and thus, should we fail to attain nibbana, we will be able to ensure that our future rebirths will be a better one.

Thus, I do agree with all your statement except for your very first sentence, BEFORE the first comma.

Anyway, why settle down in KL??? Whatever it is, I wish you all the best... Very busy... yeah... I know... That is the burden of the household life.

Use magic Report

Post time 16-10-2007 08:28 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tickmeoff at 12-10-2007 09:32 AM
p/s Sonofodin + ariya + welon - I have just settled down in KL , was busy shifting here and there. and i have to adapt to the high cost of living in KL

Not to worry. You will get use to it.
Was it your karma which brought you to KL?

Use magic Report

Post time 16-10-2007 12:05 PM | Show all posts
ariya, AFAIK, we cannot be certain where we will reappear after our human karma has been exhausted, as the last thoughts of our live is not certain and the nature of our death will not be certain too. I remember there are few types of karma that will operate at the end of our existence, simply put, we have no control over our rebirth.

However, for those with very highly cultivated minds, whereupon they could contemplate the causality and effect of their action, and to extrapolate or backtrack these causality - it is possible for these people to see their future rebirth and to be certain about it. This is when we agree that Bhagava (meditation) is necessary to decrease roots of evil, to clear the mind , to reduce delusion and ignorance to the point to see 3 marks of existence , namely Dukkha (suffering) ,  Annita (impermanence) and Annata (non-self).

Use magic Report

Post time 16-10-2007 12:07 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by SONofODIN at 16-10-2007 08:28 AM

Not to worry. You will get use to it.
Was it your karma which brought you to KL?

Partly karma, partly effort.   we must work for our deliverance.  but toll rate very high and petrol ... sigh... well....

Use magic Report

Post time 18-10-2007 07:01 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tickmeoff at 16/10/2007 12:05
ariya, AFAIK, we cannot be certain where we will reappear after our human karma has been exhausted, as the last thoughts of our live is not certain and the nature of our death will not be certain ...

YOu mean "exhausted"? Anyway is anicca and not annita. :-)

Use magic Report

Post time 18-10-2007 08:50 AM | Show all posts
LOL, thanks for correcting me. Too much annita sarawak already

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 20-10-2007 12:35 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tickmeoff at 18/10/2007 08:50
LOL, thanks for correcting me. Too much annita sarawak already

LOL

Use magic Report

Post time 20-10-2007 10:13 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by tickmeoff at 16-10-2007 12:07 PM

Partly karma, partly effort.   we must work for our deliverance.  but toll rate very high and petrol ... sigh... well....

this is my advise to you...........

option A, ride motor;

option B, do not follow sign board as it leads you go round the bush and go to the toll

Use magic Report

Post time 20-10-2007 12:09 PM | Show all posts
i drive a car, and it's getting very expensive to drive around nowadays, with upcoming increase of tolls and oil, :@

Use magic Report

Post time 21-10-2007 08:29 AM | Show all posts
Petrol will go up again next year, I heard. Probably 30 sen.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

1-6-2024 03:24 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.070298 second(s), 42 queries .