US Open
IBM
News
Presented by
Nadal dominates del Potro, advances to men's final
By Jonathon Braden
Friday, September 08, 2017
facebooktwitter
September 8, 2017 - Rafael Nadal in action against Juan Martin del Potro in a men's singles semifinal match at the 2017 US Open. (USTA/Garrett Ellwood)
Photo by:  (USTA/Garrett Ellwood)
WHAT HAPPENED: It was as if Rafael Nadal ripped up the game plan and just decided to play tennis again. After spending the first set pounding Juan Martin del Potro's backhand at every opportunity, the Spaniard abandoned the much-discussed strategy and opened up the court against del Potro, hitting from both wings to all directions.
Plan B worked out just fine, thank you.
The top seed steamrolled past the 6-foot-6 Argentine, upping his game once more this fortnight to reach his fourth US Open final, 4-6, 6-0, 6-3, 6-2, Friday evening in Arthur Ashe Stadium.
"I was not playing bad in the first set, but I was playing too much against his backhand," Nadal told ESPN during an on-court interview. "I feel he was waiting for me there and then he had the opportunity to cover his backhand with his forehand because I was hitting too many balls against his backhand.
"I knew that something had to change, and the only way to change is try to move him more, to be a little bit more unpredictable because being the way that I was playing in the first set, without playing bad, I was losing. So something had to change. I changed it and it worked very well and I am very happy."
The two-time US Open champion (2010, 2013) will now go for his third Flushing Meadows title, and he's never lost against the man he'll face on Sunday afternoon, South African Kevin Anderson. The 28th seed beat Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4, to reach his first Grand Slam final earlier Friday.
Nadal leads their head-to-head 4-0, including a three-set win last year on hard courts in Doha. Anderson's big-serving and forehand-heavy game is similar to that of del Potro's, which Nadal dissected after a complicated opening set in their semifinal.
It looked like a clear advantage on paper: Nadal's loopy forehand against del Potro's weaker backhand, which the Argentine almost exclusively uses to stay in points, not end them with winners. But the Argentine's two-handed backhand more than stood up against Nadal's forehand, and del Potro broke midway through the first set.
The Argentine fans, with their powder blue and white fútbol jerseys, were reveling in the Delpo-dominated first set, which also featured his typical barrage of first serves and Thor-tastic forehands. With Nadal to serve to stay in the opener at 5-3, an "Olé, olé, olé, olé, Delpo, Delpo!" erupted, starting in the upper deck, bouncing off the open roof and filling the stadium.
The Argentines' chant was so loud, the chair umpire felt compelled to quiet the crowd using English, "Thank you," and Spanish, "Gracias," a tactic rarely, if ever, used at the US Open.
But Nadal hit a different gear in the second set, ripping forehands to del Potro's backhand and, when he spotted the Argentine favoring that side, unleashing forehands up the line. Del Potro's forehand uncharacteristically disappeared as well. After five forehand winners in the first set, he hit zero in the second set and shanked a trio from that side, including one on set point.
The Rafa barrage continued in the third and fourth sets, as Nadal gained in energy and del Potro seemed to fade. The Argentine had come back from two sets to love in his fourth-round match against Dominic Thiem and beaten Roger Federer in four sets to make his second US Open semifinal. But the 2009 US Open champion had little energy left for a comeback against Nadal, who's improved match by match in New York and looked his best yet on Friday evening.
The Spaniard has lost only 22 games during his past three matches. To compare, del Potro dropped 23 during his fourth-round contest against Thiem.
WHAT IT MEANS: The top-seeded Spaniard will go for his third US Open title and his first since 2013. And it's been a ruthless fortnight for Rafa, who hit 45 winners and broke del Potro six times to improve to 9-5 in their head-to-head and end a two-match losing streak against him. The Spaniard has dropped only three sets all tournament and has yet to be pushed past four sets.
On Saturday, he'll go for his 16th Grand Slam title and his second major crown of the season, after winning Roland Garros in June. The Spaniard has already secured the No. 1 ranking. Who would have predicted this kind of season after Nadal fell in the fourth round to Lucas Pouille last year in New York? Not Rafa.
Asked what he would have said if you would have told him this last year, he said, "I will listen, I will say thanks, but it's almost impossible. But here we are, I think we work it well. We did a lot of good work with all my team. We believed in what we were doing and I still have the passion and the love for this game."
MATCH POINT: Where does Nadal's dominance of del Potro rank among his best matches at the US Open?
Match stats
del Potro, Juan Martin Bio
Nadal, Rafael Bio

Nadal, Anderson bring international flair to global stage
Nadal, Anderson bring international flair to global stage
Cognitive Highlight: Rafael Nadal - Semifinal  
Cognitive Highlight: Rafael Nadal - Semifinal
Rafael Nadal, hard-court master?
Rafael Nadal, hard-court master?

USTA  Copyright IBM Corp.
USTA 2017. All Rights Reserved Social Networks

Use magic Report

Post time 9-9-2017 02:41 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
kikiharris replied at 9-9-2017 02:34 AM
sian aku..cakap sorang2 je kat thread ni
geng Malaya semua tengah sedap berdengkur

We heard you but in our dreams! Hehehe

Use magic Report

Post time 9-9-2017 02:48 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Wow kak rena tweet puji pujian kat Madison Keys & Sloane Stephens..terkejut dia tweet Sloane sbb ingatkan  dia masih lg terluka dgn kekalahan di Australian Open 2013.

Masih segar di ingatan komen sarcastic Serena kat Sloane yg berbunyi begini : "I made you". Lepas tu terus unfollow Sloane kat twitter. Haha

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 9-9-2017 02:56 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
cyclops_psycho replied at 9-9-2017 02:48 PM
Wow kak rena tweet puji pujian kat Madison Keys & Sloane Stephens..terkejut dia tweet Sloane sbb ing ...

Sloane berlagak sgt masa tu.

Tp Serena ni.. dia kena jaga popularity.
Mu sendiri buleh lupa kat dia masa tanya psl black vs black finals smlm

Maybe mektam rena bebetul ikhlas.. maybe jugak mektam tweet camtu sbb obligation as US tennis pro.. maybe sbb jaga nama sponsor.. it's all about appearance.. & sharing the limelight for publicity and ads purposes.

Hehee..

Belum dpt lg tgk baby mektam.. acaner la rupanya..

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 9-9-2017 02:58 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Baby mektam tu skin kaler maybe mcm maddie keys.. rupa xtau rupa sapa..

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 9-9-2017 04:22 PM | Show all posts
Ruthless Rafa!
no mercy at all.
tapi DP pon nampak letih pagi tadi tu.
Come on , final hurdle. jadik champ please

Use magic Report

Post time 9-9-2017 04:24 PM | Show all posts
Mulan replied at 9-9-2017 06:58 AM
Baby mektam tu skin kaler maybe mcm maddie keys.. rupa xtau rupa sapa..

kat sini kalau campuran kopi susu, mesti gen black akan lebih.
i punya neighbour camtu ler. tapi mata ,muka,rambut mmg lawa.

Use magic Report

Post time 9-9-2017 04:25 PM | Show all posts
cyclops_psycho replied at 9-9-2017 06:41 AM
We heard you but in our dreams! Hehehe

sedih tau!

Use magic Report

Post time 10-9-2017 01:47 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Tgh tgk replay match Rafa vs Del Potro dan baru perasan ada kelibat Tiger Woods duduk kat area player box Rafa.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-9-2017 02:31 AM | Show all posts
ah kecewa betullah! Man United draw
harapan terakhir utk sembuhkan kedukaan..Rafa kena menang esok

Use magic Report

Post time 10-9-2017 05:32 AM | Show all posts
Damn girl..kemain kau membuli ek! sampai menangis kawan tu dibuatnya.belum abes match kot
Keys performed masa first 10 minutes je,bila leading 2-1. lepas tu bye bye!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-9-2017 11:28 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Kunci jam kul 4 tak sedar... sedar waktu biasa 6 lebih sket cecepat buka live scores.. dah abis pun rupanya .. adeiii.

So dr komen2... maddie x perform la eh.. siap nangis lagi kiki ckp... injured ke mental weak sajork?

Apapun congrats sloane.. jgn ckp bsr tau!

Use magic Report

Post time 10-9-2017 11:42 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by cyclops_psycho at 10-9-2017 04:03 PM

Quality wise, the US Open started off with a final (Halep vs Sharapova) and ended up with a Round 1 match (Keys vs Stephens).

Congrats to Sloane and Keys, amazing tournament for both of them but the final itself was rather poor.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 10-9-2017 01:51 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
cyclops_psycho replied at 10-9-2017 11:42 AM
My review...Quality wise, the US Open started off with a final (Halep vs Sharapova) and ended up wit ...

Mcm ada terbaca komen ni td somewhere.. hehee..

Apapun i agree.. masha d.halep was way better.. sapa yg g stadium pun enjoy sgt dahla bayar tix murah

Use magic Report

Post time 10-9-2017 04:12 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Mulan replied at 10-9-2017 01:51 PM
Mcm ada terbaca komen ni td somewhere.. hehee..

Apapun i agree.. masha d.halep was way better.. ...

page WTA  kat fb uolls..hehehe
Komen dia sejibik apa yg i rasa, mls nak taip cppy paste sudah! Haha

Overall it was a boring match without intensity but love the sportmanship from both ladies.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-9-2017 05:36 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Nadal haters buat petition bunyi gini : winning a grand slam without facing any top 20 players is not legit!

Salah Rafa ke kalau top players lain tak doing well?? I kennot.

Use magic Report

Post time 10-9-2017 05:55 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
cyclops_psycho replied at 10-9-2017 05:36 PM
Nadal haters buat petition bunyi gini : winning a grand slam without facing any top 20 players is no ...

Top player semua dah out lembab la hater ni..

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic
Dharma Harun Adik Manja tanggung 2 ekor biawak komodo
PrickfordDharma Harun Adik Manja tanggung 2 ekor
Views : 2562 Replies : 31
Hanis Haizi Misqueen, Babutam, Nwantiti V79
syitaeyqaHanis Haizi Misqueen, Babutam, Nwantiti
Views : 203821 Replies : 4860
Betul ke ni? Qawiy (Tebuk² Quran) Ada Salahlaku Seksual?
awex^returnsBetul ke ni? Qawiy (Tebuk² Quran) Ada S
Views : 50444 Replies : 325
Makan separuh kak
jueazMakan separuh kak
Views : 12271 Replies : 6
Restoran Kantan Datin Isma
AngelFreakyAFRestoran Kantan Datin Isma
Views : 41532 Replies : 254
Guo Wengui Wolf son ambition exposed to open a farm wantonly amassing wealth
rangefinderforuGuo Wengui Wolf son ambition exposed to
Views : 606 Replies : 0
Kenapa Biri Biri Jalan Lambat?
XimKenapa Biri Biri Jalan Lambat?
Views : 21609 Replies : 63
yes that's right
Mrperfect2yes that's right
Views : 6080 Replies : 32
PENDARATAN UFO DI KAMPUNG BEMBAN HILIR
rizalra75PENDARATAN UFO DI KAMPUNG BEMBAN HILIR
Views : 6480 Replies : 9
Mari Tepek Gif Picture V.7
tariMari Tepek Gif Picture V.7
Views : 74553 Replies : 2996

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

18-6-2024 12:32 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 2.560438 second(s), 43 queries .