ADVERTISEMENT

View: 2739|Reply: 10

JAMES CLAVELL --

[Copy link]
Post time 16-9-2006 08:47 AM | Show all posts |Read mode
i got so many favourite authors ---
and James Clavell is one of the top 5 ---
he wrote about Asian Saga --
story happened in Asia  i.e Japan, HK, Singapore ...

take a look and i am sure  lots of you 'bookworm'
wont regret reading his novesl --

his first ever novel i read -- SHOGUN ( my favourite among
all his books )  - which made
into TV Miniseries years ago - starring Richard Chamberlain
(Dr Kildare)  - a very inspiring book

other books of his i ve read ( i havent read all but
i will stated which i ve read ) - years ago and still re read
few times when i feel  missing his writing --

shogun -
A bold English adventuer. An invincible Japanese warlord. A beautiful woman torn between two ways of life, two ways of love. All brought together in a mighty saga of a time and place aflame with conflict, passion, ambition, lust and the struggle for power.
Set in the 1600's of medieval Japan, this is a tale of the Japanese lord Toranaga, the English pilot Blackthorne, the beautiful Mariko, and a host of many other unforgettable, stirring characters. Read this novel for the adventure, the customs, the people, the bonds and friendships, the impossible romance; and fall in love with Japan..

tai pan -
The book's main character, Dirk Struan, is a power hungry, manipulative opium tycoon, who is willing to do anything to succeed,a pirate, smuggler, and ruthless individual,he finds glory beyond his wildest dreams as the Tai-Pan, or supreme leader, of Hong Kong.
In Tai Pan you will find the exitement of horse racing, power, wealth and also a captivating love story.

noble house
The setting is Hong Kong, 1963. These are days of high adventure: from kidnapping and murder to financial double-dealing and natural catastrophes -- fire, flood, and landslide. Yet they are days filled as well with all the mystery and romance of Hong Kong -- the heart of Asia -- rich in every trade... money, flesh, opium, power.

king rat -
The story occurs in a Japanese-run POW camp during WWII. The King, an American who was a nobody before the War, has managed through keen business sense and a variety of scams, to place himself at the top of the heap - among several thousand pathetic, diseased, starving prisoners--a study of human suffering, survival, competition, ethics, and beliefs.

whirlwind --
Instead of his normal Japanese or Chinese locales Clavell delves into Iran, circa 1979. The Revolution is going on and it's looking bad for the European and American members of an Iran-based helicopter company, secretly owned by the Noble House of Hong Kong. Clavell flawlessly combines the small struggles in life, like taboo, cross-cultural loves, business, life and death, with the religous zealously that swept across a nation and changed it dramatically

and the last book of his i read was Gai Jin -
(i hope it wont be the last -- but too many books outthere
that i love and hafta take turn a bit...)   

Gai Jin -
In the closed society of Japan in 1862, a bitter battle for commercial supremacy rages between the Struan and Brock trading houses. Young Malcolm Struan confronts the complex politics of the Japanese Court and the samurai of the warlords to succeed in love.

i must say all his books up there that i've read of Clavell's
are superb  and u didnt wanna put the book down once u
started reading them.....

if any forumers ever read his books -- kindly share with us...
i havent read all - i know there are few outthere -- but since
the title havent catch my eyes yet -- i havent read them ---

currently i am reading few other authors and self motivation book too --

- James Clavell died in 1994 -  i still remember that time --
still in school in canada -- and i wept - cuz at that time ive read a few
of his books already ---

hope forumers who hasnt read clavell yet -- can start with Shogun -
and u will enjoy it  immensely --

-  thanks -

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 17-9-2006 05:26 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by dexa at 16-9-2006 08:47 AM
shogun -A bold English adventuer. An invincible Japanese warlord. A beautiful woman torn between two ways of life, two ways of love. All brought together in a mighty saga of a time and place aflame with conflict, passion, ambition, lust and the struggle for power.
Set in the 1600's of medieval Japan, this is a tale of the Japanese lord Toranaga, the English pilot Blackthorne, the beautiful Mariko, and a host of many other unforgettable, stirring characters. Read this novel for the adventure, the customs, the people, the bonds and friendships, the impossible romance; and fall in love with Japan..

tai pan -
The book's main character, Dirk Struan, is a power hungry, manipulative opium tycoon, who is willing to do anything to succeed,a pirate, smuggler, and ruthless individual,he finds glory beyond his wildest dreams as the Tai-Pan, or supreme leader, of Hong Kong.
In Tai Pan you will find the exitement of horse racing, power, wealth and also a captivating love story.

noble house
The setting is Hong Kong, 1963. These are days of high adventure: from kidnapping and murder to financial double-dealing and natural catastrophes -- fire, flood, and landslide. Yet they are days filled as well with all the mystery and romance of Hong Kong -- the heart of Asia -- rich in every trade... money, flesh, opium, power.

:hmm:3 ni jer yg pernah baca...all three were turned into miniseries...Tai Pan... the man character was by an Australian actor...lupa lak namanya...Noble House...by Pierce Brosnan, our ex James Bond

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2006 05:27 PM | Show all posts
haa...Brian Brown...if I'm not mistaken...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 17-9-2006 11:10 PM | Show all posts

Reply #3 seribulan's post

yup
yang F/X tu --

Use magic Report

Post time 26-12-2006 11:32 PM | Show all posts
i got so many favourite authors ---
and James Clavell is one of the top 5 ---
he wrote about Asian Saga --
story happened in Asia  i.e Japan, HK, Singapore ...

take a look and i am sure  lots ...

I love James Clavell...have read all his works above (and I think you've listed all of his major works - the ones I know off anyway; and I do collect his major works) and his are among those that I love to re-read.  Favourites are Taipan and Noble House.  Taipan n Nobel House really changed my perception of the orients and when I finally got to go to Hong Kong, it felt like I know the place well....hah....hah... maybe just my imagination.

3rd came Whirlwind.  Still remember how this book helped me do my Economics paper.....

Next came Shogun and Gaijin and finally King Rat.  King Rat felt different; sort of there's some personal pain in there.

All his books still line my shelf.....

[ Last edited by  foundation at 26-12-2006 11:39 PM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 26-12-2006 11:35 PM | Show all posts

alamak....this is my favourite character and personally I beg to differ to the above description of the 'green eye devil'.
one of his quote that I still remember since years back is, "weath for its own sake is an obscenity. but wealth and a purpose for wealth......"  

I think the quote says a lot of the man.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 26-12-2006 11:45 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by foundation at 26-12-2006 11:35 PM

alamak....this is my favourite character and personally I beg to differ to the above description of the 'green eye devil'.
one of his quote that I still remember since years back is, "wea ...

ahh u love taipan  ye
saya kalau sebut taipan aje
dok ingat ulaq  la pulak - seram -

but seriously  very good book -
saya memang suka shogun cuz tu
yang saya kenal clavell mula mula -

suka noble house --great writing in there
english dia best - senang nak faham --

interesting quote there foundation -
i like it --
thanks for sharing your thots  and  the quote too --

ada buku clavell lain yang u baca?

Use magic Report

Post time 26-12-2006 11:50 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by dexa at 26-12-2006 11:45 PM

ahh u love taipan  ye
saya kalau sebut taipan aje
dok ingat ulaq  la pulak - seram -

but seriously  very good book -
saya memang suka shogun cuz tu
yang saya kenal clavell mula mula -

semua yang kat atas tu (Taipan, NH, WW, Shogun, GJ n KR)...rasanya takde novel lain dah.
lagi satu yang ada dlm collection is his translation of Sun Tzu's Art of War.

Shogun is a great book too.  In fact I like all his books.  Still remember when he died I had not read Gai Jin and after I bought the book, I left it aside for >1 year.....'sayang' nak baca sebab that will be the last one....

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 27-12-2006 06:10 AM | Show all posts

Reply #8 foundation's post

ahhh...
sensitive jugak foundation ni ye..
faham sangat maksud you --

tak pernah lak dengar translation sun tzu's art of war --
sebab dia famous dengan those novels aje -

my friend kat states told me about ben bavo -
sci fi gak - dan saya nak cari buku dia - mars -
best he said -   
ada pernah dengar dia --?

kitorang selalu listkan buku2 yang nak baca -
and apa baca previously --
saya tak seulat buku macam euge -
bila pergi new york hari tu gi rumah dia -
tengok collection buku - saya nak pengsan -
mostly all my favourite authors and hundres more
books yang saya tak baca lagi --
kita tak keluar rumah - duk membaca aje -
wifey dia tak suka baca sangat --

but interesting to see how people live
and reading makes a different in life

Use magic Report

Post time 28-12-2006 06:39 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by dexa at 27-12-2006 06:10 AM
ahhh...
sensitive jugak foundation ni ye..
faham sangat maksud you --

tak pernah lak dengar translation sun tzu's art of war --
sebab dia famous dengan those novels aje -

my friend kat sta ...

bukan sensitive tapi lebih kepada delaying gratification....lagipun masa tu baru start jumpa buku asimov.
i like books and always enjoy being surrounded with books - memang reading makes a lot of difference to one's life.
while it's always great to experience things ourselves but reading allows more of that

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-12-2006 09:29 PM | Show all posts

Reply #10 foundation's post

while it's always great to experience things ourselves but reading allows more of that

cudn't agree more --
bukan setakat experience -
but  great imagination and
deep thought --

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

4-6-2024 05:57 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.074117 second(s), 38 queries .