ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2012 - 2013

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 21-6-2012 09:34 PM | Show all posts
June 21, 2012

Talk is, Ko So-young may be on show
By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

Actress Ko So-young may appear on the talk show “Healing Camp” in the near future, breaking a two-year hiatus from talk shows since she got married.

Ko has always been a private person, even before marrying Hallyu actor Jang Dong-gun, thus the public is eagerly awaiting confirmation that she will indeed take part in the talk show that has a reputation for causing guests to shed a tear or two as they discuss their past.

Previously, Ko had said during an interview that she “enjoyed ‘Healing Camp’ due to the show’s depth.”

Of late, the star has been asked to take part in various talk shows, but because she likes “Healing Camp” best, she is in talks with the network about starring in an episode.

Insiders say that Ko would talk candidly about her life with Jang and baby, among other things.

Ko’s last movie was in 2007, when she starred in “Project Makeover.” Since then, she has mainly taken part in minor TV projects and dedicated herself to being a homemaker and raising her son.

She is currently the face of various beauty products.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 21-6-2012 09:39 PM | Show all posts
June 21, 2012

Bumper Year for Adult-Oriented Korean Movies
ChosunIlbo

The Korean film industry is enjoying a boom this year with the total number of viewers until Tuesday at 41.93 million, up over 10 million from the same period last year. And Korean films attracted more moviegoers than Hollywood blockbusters and other foreign films, accounting for 53.5 percent of the total number.

One reason is the popularity of films that appeal to adult audiences. Some 13 Korean films drew over 1 million moviegoers this year, and five of them were rated R.

"Nameless Gangster" was the hottest movie in the first half of this year. It won over critics and audiences with its credible yet entertaining plot and vivid characterizations of criminal elements in Korea's most attractive coastal city of Busan.

"The Concubine" topped the box office as of Wednesday as it has become the talk of the town with steamy sex scenes. "A Muse," "The Scent" and "The Taste of Money" also drew much attention with racy scenes.

Industry insiders say the trend is unusual since it excludes a whole segment of enthusiastic moviegoers under 19.

Another remarkable trend is that people in their 30s led the boom. According to Max Movie, moviegoers in the age group accounted for the majority of viewers of the five adult-rated films. They helped Korean films hold their own against Hollywood blockbuster like "Avengers" and "Men in Black 3."

Viewers in their 20s generally prefer more anodyne date movies, Max Movie said, so adult-rated movies appeal to people in their 30s or over, especially women who go to the theatre in groups.

Thirty-somethings made up the largest share of viewers for all movies that hit the 1 million mark this year, except the kids' film "Speckles: the Tarbosaurus."

The reason is that those in their 30s have grown up with Korean pop culture, which started to prosper in the 1990s, and now have significant purchasing power. The film industry realized that and made movies targeting them.

"The film industry has usually targeted those in their teens and 20s, but that seems to be changing," said film critic Jeon Chan-il. "An increasing number of movies will aim to lure viewers in their 30s and that will also affect actors who appear in them."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2012 12:33 PM | Show all posts
June 22, 2012

Lee Jung-hyun Appointed Honorary Ambassador for CICON 2012
Source: ChosunIlbo

Singer Lee Jung-hyun has been appointed as an honorary ambassador for the Korea-China Cultural Industry Conference, called CICON 2012.

The conference, which opens until this Saturday, aims to strengthen ties between the two countries in the fields of culture, urban development and digital convergence business in the IT industry.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2012 05:27 PM | Show all posts
June 21, 2012

Additional still shots of Lee Byung-hun, Han Hyo-joo's "Masquerade" unveiled
Monica Suk 10Asia

Assembled teaser photos of "Masquerade" [CJ Entertainment]

Lee Byung-hun's first historical flick "Masquerade" has revealed more teaser photos before opening in domestic theaters this fall.

"Masquerade," in which Lee plays the 15th king of Joseon Dynasty, Gwanghae, revealed five still shots of the upcoming movie in a press release sent Thursday.

The forthcoming film, which tells the story of one of the most misfortunate figures in the Joseon Dynasty's history, is tentatively scheduled to meet with local moviegoers in late September, the officials said.

Jam-packed with veteran actors, Ryu Seung-ryeong of "All About My Wife" and actress Han Hyo-joo are each playing a courtier and the queen of the Joseon Dynasty in "Masquerade."

Based on the promoters' previous statements, Lee's film was originally titled "Gwanghae, the Man Who Became the King." However, the officials said they changed the title to emphasize the story of a lower-class guy becoming the king of the country.

Lee's Hollywood pic "G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra" which was released in the country in 2009 and has grossed 5,995,248,000 in Korean won (around 5.2 million U.S. dollars) at the domestic box office as of June 20, KOBIS' (Korea Box Office Information System) data showed.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2012 05:29 PM | Show all posts
June 22, 2012

High-Paid Actor Exempted from Draft for Poverty
Source: ChosunIlbo

A successful actor who makes a substantial annual salary was granted an exemption from mandatory military service on the grounds that his family is unable to support itself without him, a probe of the Military Manpower Administration by the Board of Audit and Inspection has reveled.

Kim Moo-yeol

Kim Moo-yeol (30) appeared in the recent movie "A Muse" and has performed in a variety of TV dramas and musicals. The probe revealed that Kim was originally found fit to serve as an active duty soldier after his physical exam in March 2001, when he was 19. From 2007 to 2009, the actor delayed enlistment six times, claiming he would be taking the civil service exam or that he had been admitted to a work training facility. But Kim neither took the exam nor entered work training.

Instead he appeared in movies, musicals and TV dramas earning W52.96 million in 2007, W102 million in 2008 and W146 million in 2009 (US$1=W1,152). Kim applied for an exemption on grounds of a knee injury but was rejected. He swiftly made another exemption request saying that his family is unable to support itself, and this was approved.

"MMA officials conducted a shoddy investigation and exempted Kim from mandatory military service even though he was not eligible," a BAI official said. But Kim's management agency said the actor's family is not wealthy and needs money. "Kim's father was diagnosed with cancer in 2008 and he has incurred a lot of debt for the treatment," the agency said. "If anything needs to be investigated, we will cooperate diligently."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2012 05:33 PM | Show all posts
June 22, 2012

Kim So Yeon cast as female lead in Ji Jin Hee's TV series
Reporter: Lucia Hong. Editor : Monica Suk. 10 Asia

Korean actress Kim So-yeon will returning to the small screen as the female lead in a forthcoming TV series starring actor Ji Jin-hee, her agency Namoo Actors revealed on Friday.

Namoo said in a statement that Kim will play the role of Hae-in who is a strong-willed and principled woman, in SBS drama titled "Daepungsoo" (in Romanized Korean).

"Daepungsoo," set to air every Monday and Tuesday nights starting October, is a fictional biopic that will tell the story of King Yi Seong-gye (Ji), one of the most important historical figures in the history of the Korean peninsula.

Kim started out in the entertainment business in 1994 and is best known for her role in MBC's TV series "All About Eve" in 2000.

Since then, the actress starred in a number of hit dramas including KBS' blockbuster "IRIS" in 2009, SBS' "Princess Prosecutor" the same year and SBS' sports show "Dr. Champ" in 2010.

She last appeared in 2012 film "GABI (Coffee)" opposite actors Joo Jin-mo and Park Hee-soon opened in theaters on March 15.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 22-6-2012 10:33 PM | Show all posts
June 22, 2012

Park Han-byul might marry Se7en

Entertainer couple Park Han-byul and Se7en will tie the knot once Se7en fulfills his mandatory military service, or at least that’s the plan according to Park.

At a press conference for her new movie “Media Day” on Thursday, Park answered the question on everyone’s lips in regards to the future of her 10-year relationship with singer Se7en.

“I don’t know when he is going to go to the Army, but marriage will have to come after that,” the 27-year-old actress said.

Furthermore, Park said that she’d miss him while he’s away, when he does go on to fulfill his military service obligation, but that she’d be okay. “I don’t think I’ll be distraught, and either way, if he’s going, I’d rather send him off smiling than crying,” Park said.

Fans who heard what Park had to say praised the young actress for her mature outlook on marriage and wished the couple all the best. The two entertainers began dating in 2002 when they were both attending Anyang Arts High School in Gyeonggi.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2012 10:35 PM | Show all posts
June 22, 2012

Lee Joon-gi slams Korean work style

Hallyu actor Lee Joon-gi has expressed his discontent at the long and grueling working hours often expected from actors and crew members on the sets of Korean dramas.

On Thursday, Lee used his Twitter to say, “I have an American friend who thinks that Korea is the best country in the world. He says that everything is delivered at all hours, restaurants are open 24 hours, at all hours there are people out and about, valet parking, designated drivers for hire and people are full of energy.”

But Lee said that he didn’t think Korea was in fact “the land of miracles” that his friend described.

“Sure the country is dynamic! But just imagine, staff and actors on the set of a drama who have to work 24 hours without sleep! This isn’t right. If you want a future in Korean dramas, you have to have endless stamina. I hope the situation improves here,” Lee said.

But he’s already back to the daily grind. Lee just began filming the drama “Arang and the Magistrate,” a new MBC midweek show that is set to air from late July.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 23-6-2012 01:07 PM | Show all posts
June 22, 2012

A-list Korean actors gears up to bring new film noir action pic
Editor : Monica Suk. 10Asia

Will star-filled ensemble cast, a new film noir action has kicked off its shooting.

Starring Lee Jung-jae, Choi Min-sik and Hwang Jung-min, “New World” (translated title) began its shooting on June 16, the film’s distributor NEW said in a press release Friday.

“With the awesome screenplay and outstanding actors and staffs, I think we’re off to a good start,” Hwang said in the statement, expressing his thoughts about the first shooting.

“It’s been nervous to star in the film with actors whom I’ve always wanted to work with. I can’t wait to see how this movie will turn out,” Lee added.

Directed by Park Hoon-jung of the Korean crime pic “The Unjust” (2010), the officials hinted about the upcoming film by describing the characters that the actors will play.

While Lee portrays detective Ja-sung who disguises himself as a member of the largest and most influential gang group in Korea, Choi is to play Ja-sung’s senior detective Kang.

Hwang, meanwhile, is to depict Jung Chung, the second highest-ranking boss in the gang. Without knowing that Ja-sung is actually a detective, Jung Chung experiences loyalty, betrayal and conspiracy.

As the movie is still at the early production stage, the officials said that they have yet to announce the film's premiere date.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 23-6-2012 10:57 PM | Show all posts
June 22, 2012

HYUNDAI HOPE ON WHEELS DONATES $75,000 HYUNDAI SCHOLAR GRANT TO SUPPORT PEDIATRIC CANCER RESEARCH AT CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL LOS ANGELES
Source

LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 22: Actor Byung-hun Lee (R) helps cancer patient Isaias Quintana (L) paint his handprint during the Hyundai Hope on Wheels Handprint Ceremony and Hyundai Scholar Grant to support the Pediatric Cancer Research at Children's Hospital Los Angeles on June 22, 2012 in Los Angeles, California.

Credit: Photo by Ryan Miller/Capture Imaging

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-6-2012 12:25 AM | Show all posts
June 24, 2012

Singer Lee Seung-gi carries torch in U.K. for London Olympics
By Moon Gwang-lip Korea JoongAng Daily

Lee Seung-gi, a Korean singer and actor, completed what he dubbed a once-in-a-life-time mission as a torch bearer for the upcoming London Olympics yesterday (Korean time), according to his agents.

Attending the “Korean Runners’ Day Torch Relay” along with 23 other Koreans, Lee ran 320 meters (0.19 miles) from Stratford Avenue to Manchester Road in Rochdale, northeast of Manchester, on Saturday (local time), the agency said. A total of 164 runners attended the relay on the day. “It’s my honor to be able to join the Olympics, a worldwide festival, through the torch relay,” Lee said after the relay.

Samsung Electronics, an official sponsor of the London Olympics, has selected 1,360 people from 58 countries for the torch relay, which started on May 19 in nearly 1,000 cities in England.

The relay, which covers the distance of 12,874 kilometers in total, is scheduled to arrive in downtown London two days prior to the opening of the Olympics.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-6-2012 12:27 AM | Show all posts
June 24, 2012

Agent says Kim Moo-yul's family situation was 'nearly impossible'
By Moon Gwang-lip Korea JoongAng Daily

Kim Moo-yul worked as a security guard, construction worker and at a mobile phone factory to earn bread for his family, according to his agent yesterday. The agent came to the defense of the 30-year-old actor under growing public criticism over allegations he dodged his compulsory military service.

Yeo Jun-yeong, the head of agency Prain TPC, said that Kim’s family was not merely poor but that it was “nearly impossible” for them to make a living since Kim was in his late teens.

“At the time of his enrolling at Sungkyunkwan University in 2002, his family’s [financial] condition was so bad that he was almost unable to continue his studies,” Yeo said in a blog. “He considered joining a special military force after he heard that he could make 30 million won [$25,884] by doing that, but he put off going to the military after his father collapsed due to a cerebral hemorrhage and he began taking care of all of his family members.” Kim rose to stardom after the release of the film “Eungyo” (2012).

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-6-2012 12:31 AM | Show all posts
June 24, 2012

Jang Dong-gun's fans surprise set of 'A Gentleman's Dignity' with food
By Elli Park Korea JoongAng Daily

To celebrate Jang Dong-gun’s return to TV in more than 12 years, the Hallyu actor’s fan club surprised the star by presenting Jang and the staff on the set of his new drama “A Gentleman’s Dignity” to a free dinner.

On Thursday, Jang’s fan club visited the set of the show at the SBS’ Ilsan Production Center and provided a catered meal for some 100 actors and staff members, wishing them good luck on the drama.

The meal was a traditional Korean affair consisting of rice, side dishes and soup. The fans also came prepared with snacks such as iced coffee and nuts for breaks in between.

Jang, showing gratitude for his fans, said, “I was so touched by all the generosity. I extend thanks to my fans for providing such a meal for the staff.”

“A Gentleman’s Dignity” began airing about a month ago and is gaining in popularity due to the chemistry between the characters played by Jang and actress Kim Ha-neul.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-6-2012 04:29 PM | Show all posts
June 25, 2012

'Miss Conspirator' has Ko Hyun-jung in unfamiliar role
By Im Ju-ri Korea JoongAng Daily

Actress Ko Hyun-jung stars in the film “Miss Conspirator.” By Kwon Hyuk-jae

Actress Ko Hyun-jung returns to the big screen in the new action/comedy “Miss Conspirator.” Ko has typically played the role of strong female figures in positions of power, most notably seen in “Queen Seondeok” (2009) and “Daemul” (2010), in which she played Korea’s first female president.

This time, however, Ko’s role has taken a 180-degree turn. In “Miss Conspirator” she plays a disoriented woman with a social phobia.

General reaction to the film after its first screening was not too enthusiastic. But despite the criticism, Ko’s stardom alone has attracted significant attention. The JoongAng Ilbo sat down with Ko on Wednesday to find out what she hides under her charismatic appearance.

In the middle of the interview she kept saying, “Am I doing this right? If not, let me know. Tell me if I am saying something strange.” Perhaps the timid role she plays in this film is not mismatching after all.

Q. Is this the first commercial film you’ve starred in?

A. Actually it’s just the first in three years. Last time was when I starred in “Actresses” in 2009. When I received the scripts for “Miss Conspirator,” I read them very carefully because the producers were close friends of mine. I felt like this was the last chance for me to play characters like Chun Su-ro. If I get older, I can’t play this kind of character anymore. So I took the chance. I’ve always played characters that are strong and have charisma. Chun Su-ro is a nerdy and timid character, which is fairly new to me.

You’ve played mostly charismatic characters in the past?

Since my comeback to film and television following the divorce [with Chung Yong-jin, vice chairman of Shinsegae Group] people treated me like a real adult. I guess it is obvious because I’ve married and have children. But I felt like I was not yet a complete adult.

I was still immature and unskilled in certain aspects. But in order to live up to that image people have of me, I had to pretend to be a charismatic and a strong person. I simply had to remind myself to be strong. But this time it was difficult because I had to take out the timid side of me that was hiding inside.

Did you perhaps want to change the image people have of you through this film?

I am not the type of person who plans ahead and follows through with plans. I personally don’t like changing myself either. However, I do want to show everything when I work in a film. Regardless of the types of characters I play, I don’t change myself to act that character. I want to show everything that I have to play one character.

Did you find any similarities between you and Chun Su-ro, the character you played?

I think so, in some aspects. I do not have a social phobia, but I don’t really go out that often, either. That felt like a similarity. It was helpful in acting it out in the film.

There was a director change while it was in production. Were there difficulties while filming?

Yes, there were some difficulties we had to face during the production. Those difficult times strengthened me and gave me the sense of responsibility to endure to the end. It had to be finished, and we did it.

Was there any particular scene that was difficult to play?

Chun Su-ro is a disoriented person. If I exaggerate my actions it may seem prejudiced toward disoriented people. The difficult task I had was to act without giving people any uncomfortable feelings.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-6-2012 04:39 PM | Show all posts
June 25, 2012

Daniel Henney wins Best New Actor

“Shanghai Calling,” featuring Hallyu actor Daniel Henney, won two awards at the 15th annual Shanghai International Film Festival.

The 32-year-old actor of Korean and American descent won Best New Actor for his role in the romantic comedy that centers on the theme of intercultural romance and the obstacles that arise when Sam, a top notch lawyer from New York, is relocated to Shanghai.

Eliza Coupe, Bill Paxton and Alan Ruck also star in the film. It was nominated for seven of the 12 categories at the Chinese film fest.

“Shanghai Calling” was credited with the most nominations and two wins: Best New Actor and Best Screenwriter.

Henney has been gaining more and more recognition in Hollywood and is set to appear in another American movie, “The Last Stand,” to be released next year.

Henney was born to a Korean adoptee mother and an American father of Irish descent. He began modeling in the U.S. in 2001 and has modeled for Korean brands Amore Pacific, LG and Asiana Airlines.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-6-2012 04:42 PM | Show all posts
June 25, 2012

T.O.P to play North Korean assassin

Singer T.O.P of Big Bang is set to return to the big screen for the first time since his last movie “71: Into The Fire” (2010).

The 24-year-old boy band member is set to star in action/melodrama “The Alumni” alongside Han Ye-ri from the movie “As One” and 12-year-old actor Kim You-jung from this year’s hit drama “The Moon that Embraces the Sun.”

T.O.P will play the role of a teenaged assassin named Myung-hoon from North Korea who has been assigned to kill in a bid to save his sister’s life.

The plot unfolds when Myung-hoon meets the female protagonist played by Han, with whom he falls in love.

“The Alumni” is being directed by Park Shin-woo, who was also behind the hit movie “White Night” (2009). The Hallyu rapper said he was looking forward to returning to movies.

“I was attracted to the character of Myung-hoon, who embodies both the traits of a serial killer and the purity of a young high school student,” T.O.P said.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 26-6-2012 04:47 PM | Show all posts
June 25, 2012

Cho Seung-woo to star in MBC historical drama
By Rachel Lee The Korea Times

Actor Cho Seung-woo is cast in MBC drama “Maoui”
with female counterpart Lee Yo-won. The program
is to be aired in September this year.

Actor Cho Seung-woo will appear in a television drama for the first time in his 13-year acting career.

The 32-year-old has been cast with actress Lee Yo-won, also 32, in “Maeui” (working title), slated to air in September this year, according to Kimjonghak Production.

“Maeui,” meaning a vet who specialized in the treatment of horses during the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910), is about the life of a low-class vet of that era becoming a high official, in charge of the King’s health.

The historical drama will be produced by Lee Byung-hoon, known for his previous works “Jewel in the Palace,” “Hur Jun” and “Dong-yi.” Writer Kim Yi-young is also involved in the project.

Cho made his debut in 1999 in the film “Chunhyang” and has starred in numerous musicals such as “Jekyll and Hyde” (2010), “Zorro” (2011) and “Doctor Zhivago” (2012). The actor has won a number of awards including Best Actor at the 41th Baeksang Arts Awards 2005 and at The Musical Awards in 2012.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-6-2012 04:54 PM | Show all posts
June 25, 2012

Two of Korea's Leading Actors Stamp Prints in Hollywood

ChosunIlbo

Actors Ahn Sung-ki and Lee Byung-hun left their hand prints on the forecourt of Mann's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood on Saturday (local time), becoming the first Asian actors to do so.

Previously, Hong Kong director John Woo was the only celebrity from the region to have left his prints there.

Around 300 fans watched Ahn and Lee leaving their hand and foot prints along with their names in Korean and English in the famous tourist spot.

Meanwhile, Lee's new film, "G.I. Joe: Retaliation," will be released soon. The sequel to a 2009 blockbuster "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" features Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson.

/Yonhap

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-6-2012 04:57 PM | Show all posts
June 25, 2012

Movie Debuts At #1 At Box Office
KBS Global

Go Hyun-jung has done it again. Another hit of a project under her belt, this time in the form of the movie . I

According to the Korean Film Commission on June 25th, attracted 268,622 movie-goers from June 22-24th. This has clinched it the number one spot at the box office, in the first weekend of its debut. So far, the total number of people that have watched the movie stands at 331,514 people.

The movie is about a timid woman who suffers from panic disorder (played by Go), who ends up doing a favor for a nun that she meets. This winds her up in a 50 billion won criminal case. The action-comedy has been attracting a lot of attention even before it's premiere on June 21st.

Following in second place was having brought in 224,354 over the past weekend. That brings up its total number of viewers to 2,187,839. was in third place with 219,163 people.

was next at fourth with a weekend count of 213,883 people, totaling in 270,546 nation-wide movie goers. Fifth place was taken by the hit movie with 179,370 people still seeking it out over the weekend. This racks up its total to 4,144,223 people that have watched the movie.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 26-6-2012 05:28 PM | Show all posts
June 26, 2012

Actors leave prints on Walk of Fame

Actors Lee Byung-hun and Ahn Sung-ki have become the first Asian actors - not including Asian-Americans - to leave their hand and foot prints on the Hollywood Walk of Fame outside Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood.
The two attended the printing ceremony that took place on Saturday.

“This is truly one of the most glorious moments in an actor’s life,” Lee said. “I can’t believe I’m here. Working for the last 20 years has indeed paid off, and I intend to work even harder for the next 20 years.”

Lee signed his name as “South Korean Actor Lee Byung hun.”

The organizing committee of the printing ceremony said that Lee was one of the finest Asian actors.

Director Kim Ji-woon, who worked with Lee for the first time in “A Bittersweet Life” in 2005 and then again in the thriller “I Saw the Devil” some five years later, was also present at the ceremony.

Kim praised Lee for his achievement in breaking into the U.S. market.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

27-6-2024 12:38 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.247702 second(s), 41 queries .