Register

ADVERTISEMENT

12Next
Return to list New
View: 11358|Reply: 21

Bodhisattva

[Copy link]
Post time 21-6-2004 11:40 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Aku pernah terbaca dalam sebuah buku tentang Bodhisattva, yg mana orang tu dah mencapai satu peringkat (dah lupa) tapi belum mencapai nirvana. Ada sesiapa yg boleh terangkan tentang benda nie? Kalau boleh dari basic, i mean sebelum dia jadi Bodhisattva, sehingga mencapai nirvana.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 21-6-2004 11:50 PM | Show all posts
Yes I am interested to know too...

Use magic Report

Post time 21-6-2004 11:59 PM | Show all posts
And also what is the difference between Buddha and Bodhisattva.Are these words only variations with the same meaning?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 12:11 AM | Show all posts
Buddha = Buddhist who has attained full prajna, or Enlightenment; Arhat.
Arhat = A Buddhist who has attained Nirvana.
Bodhisattva = A Buddhist who has attained prajna, or Enlightenment, but who postpones Nirvana in order to help others to attain Enlightenment.

But i still blur... hehehe

Use magic Report

Post time 22-6-2004 09:47 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Remy_3D at 22-6-2004 00:11:
Bodhisattva = A Buddhist who has attained prajna, or Enlightenment, but who p ...

There is birth and thus there will be death. A buddha is the fully awakened one, and he has escape the cycle of birth and death. An arahant is called a buddhist saint. One can ahive Nibbana via becoming a mighty buddha, a pecceka buddha and a maha-arahant. A bodhisatta postpone their attainment of Nibbana out of great compassion towards all living being, wanting to help them get rid of suffering first. Thus, this is only my view that Bodhisatta have not escape from the cycle of birth and death. Arahant have.

I will explain more when I return home this week as those books are at home. I wil need to use them to explain just in case I make Mistakes. I am far from perfect and my knowledge is considered still very low thus I advice people to read from books first. I just tell what I understand an know which might be wrong or not, I do not know.

Use magic Report

Post time 22-6-2004 09:57 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Remy_3D at 22-6-2004 00:11:
Bodhisattva = A Buddhist who has attained prajna, or Enlightenment, but who p ...

Here, I have something:

Arahant: A "worthy one" or "pure one;" a person whose mind is free of defilement and thus is not destined for further rebirth. A title for the Buddha and the highest level of his noble disciples.

Bodhisatta: "A being (striving) for Awakening;" the term used to describe the Buddha before he actually become Buddha, from his first aspiration to Buddhahood until the time of his full Awakening. Sanskrit form: Bodhisattva.

This is what I got from this sit:

http://www.tipitaka.net/ebooks/pageload.php?book=0008&page=0e

[ Last edited by ariyamusafir on 15-7-2004 at 11:08 PM ]

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 22-6-2004 10:12 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by vixen at 21-6-2004 23:50:
Yes I am interested to know too...

Bodhisatta
A Bodhisatta is a being devoted to Enlightenment.

As a 'Compassionate Being', a Bodhisatta is destined to attain Buddhahood, and become a future Buddha, through the cultivation of his mind.

In order to gain Supreme Enlightenment, he practices transcendental virtues (Parami) to perfection. The virtues are generosity, morality, renunciation, wisdom, energy, patience, truthfulness, determination, loving-kindness, and even mindedness. He cultivates these Parami with compassion and wisdom, without being influenced by selfish motives or selfconceit. He works for the welfare and happiness of all beings, seeking to lessen the suffering of others throughout the series of his countless lives. In his journey to perfection, he is prepared to practice these virtues, sometimes even at the expense of his own life.

In the Pali scriptures, the designation 'Bodhisatta' is given to Prince Siddhartha before His Enlightenment and to His former lives. The Buddha Himself used this term when speaking of His life prior to Enlightenment. According to the Pali texts there is no mention of Buddha Bodhi being the only way to attain the final goal of Nibbanic bliss. It was very rare for a disciple during the Buddha's time to forgo the opportunity to attain sainthood and instead declare bodhisattahood as his aspiration. However, there are some records that some followers of the Buddha did aspire to become Bodhisattas to gain 'Buddhahood'.

In the Mahayana school of thought, the Bodhisatta cult however, plays an important role. The Mahayana ideal regards the Bodhisatta as a being who, having brought himself to the brink of Nibbana, voluntarily delays the acquisition of his prize so that he may return to the world to make it accessible to others. He deliberately chooses to postpone his release from Samsara in order to show the path for others to attain Nibbana.

Although Theravada Buddhists respect Bodhisattas, they do not regard them as being in the position to enlighten or save others before their own enlightenment. Bodhisattas are, therefore, not regarded as saviors. In order to gain their final salvation, all beings must follow the method prescribed by the Buddha and follow the example set by Him. They must also personally eradicate their mental defilements and develop all the great virtues.

Theravada Buddhists do not subscribe to the belief that everyone must strive to become a Buddha in order to gain Nibbana. However, the word 'Bodhi' is used to refer to the qualities of a Buddha, or PaccekaBuddha and Arahant in expressions such as Sammasmbodhi, PaccekaBodhi and SavakaBodhi. In addition, many of the Buddhas mentioned in the Mahayana school are not historical Buddhas and are therefore not given much attention by Theravada Buddhists. The notion that certain Buddha and Bodhisattas are waiting in Sukhawati (Pure Abode) for those who pray to them is a notion quite foreign to the fundamental Teachings of the Buddha. Certain Bodhisattas are said to voluntarily remain in Sukhawati, without gaining enlightenment themselves, until every living being is saved. Given the magnitude of the universe and the infinite number of beings who are enslaved by ignorance and selfish desire, this is clearly an impossible task, since there can be no end to the number of beings.

Must a Bodhisatta always be a Buddhist? We may find among Buddhists some self-sacrificing and ever loving Bodhisattas. Sometimes they may not even be aware of their lofty aspiration, but they instinctively work hard to serve others and cultivate their pristine qualities. Nevertheless, Bodhisattas are not only found among Buddhists, but possibly among the other religionists as well. The Jataka stories, which relate the previous birth stories of the Buddha, describe the families and forms of existence taken by the Bodhisatta. Sometimes He was born as an animal. It is hard to believe that He could have been born in a Buddhist family in each and every life. But no matter what form He was born as or family he was born into. He invariably strived hard to develop certain virtues. His aspiration to gain perfection from life to life until final birth when he emerged as a Buddha, is the quality which clearly distinguishes a Bodhisatta from other beings.

Salvation Through Arahantahood
Attaining Nibbana through Arahantahood is not selfish.

Certain Buddhists believe to seek salvation by becoming an Arahant is a selfish motive; because everyone, they claim, must try to become a Buddha in order to save others. This particular belief has absolutely no ground in the Teaching of the Buddha. The Buddha never mentioned that He wanted to save every living being in this whole universe. He offered His help only to those who were spiritually matured and willing to accept His Nobel way of life.

'The doors to the deathless are open!
Let those who will hear leave wrong doctrine...
'Now shall I turn the Wheel of the Great Law,
For this I go to the Kasian city.
There shall I beat the drum of deathlessness,
In this world that is groping in the dark.'
(Ariya pariyesana Sutta-Majjhima Nikaya).

The belief that everyone must strive to become a Buddha in order to attain salvation cannot be found in the original Teachings of the Buddha. This belief is just like asking every person to become a doctor in order to cure other people and himself of diseases. This advice is most impractical. If people want to cure themselves of their sicknesses they can get medical advice from a qualified doctor. This they can do without waiting until they are all doctors before curing themselves. Nor is there any need for each and every person to be a doctor. If everyone becomes a doctor, who are going to be their patients? In the same way if everyone is going to become Buddhas, who is going to save whom?

Of course, those who wish to become doctors can do so. But they must have intelligence, courage and the means to study medicine. Likewise, it is not compulsory for everyone to become a Buddha to find his salvation. Those who wish to become Buddhas can do so. However, they need the courage and knowledge to sacrifice their comforts and practice all kinds of renunciations in order to attain Buddhahood. Others can be content to be healthy.

To attain Arahantahood, one has to eradicate all greed and selfishness. This implies that while relating with others, an Arahant will act with compassion and try to inspire others to go on the Path leading to Liberation. He is the living proof of the good results that accrue to a person who follows the method taught by the Buddha. The attainment of Nibbana is not possible if one acts with a selfish motive. Therefore, it is baseless to say that striving to become an Arahant is a selfish act.

Buddhahood is indisputably the best and the noblest of all the three ideals(Supreme Buddha, Silent Buddha and Arahant). But not everyone is capable of achieving this highest ideal. Surely all scientists cannot be Einsteins and Newtons. There must be room for lesser scientists who nevertheless help the world according to their capabilities.

Here i think you can see the difference. It is from the same source.

http://www.tipitaka.net/ebooks/p ... ough%20Arahantahood

[ Last edited by ariyamusafir on 15-7-2004 at 11:10 PM ]

Use magic Report

Adm_Cheng_Ho This user has been deleted
Post time 22-6-2004 02:51 PM | Show all posts
A bodhisatta postpone their attainment of Nibbana out of great compassion towards all living being, wanting to help them get rid of suffering first

I'd add some view. Bodhisatva have reached Enlightenment however postponed attainment of Nirvana because of compassion construed by many Buddhist reverend as attachment. Some say life is an illusion. We have to just let go of it. Leave them behind. Once a person had successfully cultivated value the next stage is achieve Enlightenment about life. Thus, all 7 emotions and 6 desires are conquered. Therefore, these became meaningless. Bodhisatva chose to be with the rest helping alleviate sufferings of ignorant mankind. However, due to mind enlightenment, Bodhisatva still is above the rest. Much higher than deities.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 22-6-2004 03:04 PM | Show all posts
by Adm_Cheng_Ho

I'd add some view. Bodhisatva have reached Enlightenment however postponed attainment of Nirvana because of compassion construed by many Buddhist reverend as attachment. Some say life is an illusion. We have to just let go of it. Leave them behind. Once a person had successfully cultivated value the next stage is achieve Enlightenment about life. Thus, all 7 emotions and 6 desires are conquered. Therefore, these became meaningless. Bodhisatva chose to be with the rest helping alleviate sufferings of ignorant mankind. However, due to mind enlightenment, Bodhisatva still is above the rest. Much higher than deities.

That is why so many people cannot achieve Nirwana after Gautama Buddha. They are confuse whether they should focus in working to achieve Nirwana or work toward achieving Enlightnment.

Should their sole goal to achieve Enlightment is suppose to be to release themselves from circle of Life?  If so, isn't it an act of Selfishness? :hmm:

Should their sole goal to achieve Enlightnment is to bring others to it? Is that attachment to the world? :hmm:

I believe Gautama Buddha's goal was to help others rather himself. But in order to help others, he must help himself. He released himself from attachments of the world but didn't leave it. He stay and help others to have a better understanding and when that task finished, he have left.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 03:49 PM | Show all posts
Thanks ariya, adm & seph, sekarang saya dah faham sedikit, walapun masih tak faham sepenuhnya...

Use magic Report

Adm_Cheng_Ho This user has been deleted
Post time 22-6-2004 03:56 PM | Show all posts
May you achieve enlightenment also Remy.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 22-6-2004 05:25 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Adm_Cheng_Ho at Tue 22nd Jun 04 15:56:
May you achieve enlightenment also Remy.

;)
and may you achieve enlightenment also Adm

Use magic Report

Post time 24-6-2004 07:38 PM | Show all posts
Nowadays it's nearly impossible to attain enlightenment...That's why the number of Boddhisatvas remained the same since ages ago...

Use magic Report

Post time 24-6-2004 08:54 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Seraphim at 24-6-2004 19:38:
Nowadays it's nearly impossible to attain enlightenment...That's why the number of Boddhisatvas remained the same since ages ago...

Enlightenment is not impossible. Buddha Gotama is a Mighty Buddha. Have you heard of Pecceka Buddha, sometimes known as silent Buddhas? These Buddha appear and not many people might not know about it. Buddha such as Gotama appear very long time after the previous. I will explain more in detail when I get my sources. I am now out, will return home tomorrow. How do you know the number of Bodhisatta (pali language) remained the same????

[ Last edited by ariyamusafir on 24-6-2004 at 08:55 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 26-6-2004 06:01 PM | Show all posts
I watched some movie, which say Nirvana is another layer of enlightenment. In nirvana, we can get rid of this painful world. And then, some god cannot let go this world and stay here to help the suffering peoples.

And then, the god achieved Bodhisatta or something.

(Warning: movies mostly do not give correct information)

Use magic Report

Post time 30-6-2004 01:12 PM | Show all posts
by Seraphim

Kind of agree with Ariya here ...

While the path of Enlightment is not easy, it is not impossible either.

When one achieve enlightment, he or she has TWO choice ... whether he or she willing to stay on Earth and teach others OR accept Death (of the mortal body) and enter a state of Nirwana. Those who choose to live for sake of others are Buddhas.

Most people who achieve Enlightnment most likely to choose Death rather than to live.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 30-6-2004 01:41 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Sephiroth at 30-6-2004 01:12 PM:
Kind of agree with Ariya here ...

While the path of Enlightment is not easy, it is not impossible either.

When one achieve enlightment, he or she has TWO choice ... whether he or she willing to stay on Earth and teach others OR accept Death (of the mortal body) and enter a state of Nirwana. Those who choose to live for sake of others are Buddhas.
Most people who achieve Enlightnment most likely to choose Death rather than to live.

meaning to say they like Roda (not roda impian)....die now then born back in next brith??? is that what u mean:hmm:

Use magic Report

Post time 30-6-2004 02:26 PM | Show all posts
by Truth.8

meaning to say they like Roda (not roda impian)....die now then born back in next brith??? is that what u mean

Have you watched the 1st Matrix? That movie was based on some Buddhism principles, probably Zen.

Neon believed he was dying because he was shot by the Agent but then the question ... what is Death?

If he was onboard of the ship and what he was experiencing was an illusion of sensors, then he shouldn't die. Which means the death he was experiencing was a lie, thus he is alive and sees the world as what it truly is.

Remember the Buddhist monk boy which was making the spoon bend? The boy said, "In Reality, the spoon does not bend, but it does. Thus the spoon does not exist."

Use magic Report

Post time 30-6-2004 02:30 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Sephiroth at 30-6-2004 02:26 PM:
Remember the Buddhist monk boy which was making the spoon bend? The boy said, "In Reality, the spoon does not bend, but it does. Thus the spoon does not exist."

spoon bend but does not exist:stp: yet people eat spoon and fork....it does not exist:stp:

are we exist in first place:hmm:

Use magic Report

Post time 30-6-2004 02:58 PM | Show all posts
by Truth.8

spoon bend but does not exist yet people eat spoon and fork....it does not exist

In real life, spoons do not bend, but some magician claims to bend it and then straightened it back.

Matter a fact, the only one who claim to bend it properly with mental powers was Uri Gellar (mistake in name?) and even that, some claims to be carefully manipulation of pressure in the finger tips.

So, anyway, if you see a spoon bends, you should know that it is a magic trick or an illusion. Same here.

are we exist in first place  

What exactly are WE?
Why are we here?
Where were we before?

You didn't exist 100 years ago, You will not exist 100 years from now. If you say you exist NOW, that is not logical because you must have a beginning.

If you say your beginning is the time you were "created" by your parents, then I will say your end is the day you will perish (whether by natural cause or unnatural cause like accident).

In that context, were you ever existed? :hmm:

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

20-5-2024 03:08 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.278416 second(s), 49 queries .