Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to list New
Author: frisky_mango

Paulo Coelho - What say u...

[Copy link]
Post time 18-7-2006 10:05 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by MillionIdeazKid at 18/7/06 11:11 AM

puas aku cari topik aku..tiba2 hilang....ingtkan kat us je bnda missing tiba2..kat mesia pon ada.....mod x bitau pon dah merge.

chief mod seri melakukan kerja yang sepatutnya, takkan hilang topik tu.. merge iya.. faham-faham je la, kalau isinya sama, mesti la kena merge

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 19-7-2006 09:28 AM | Show all posts
y not just pm to inform as other ladies n gentlemen mod did.courtesy begets courtesy.x gitu?

Use magic Report

Post time 30-6-2009 03:28 PM | Show all posts
‘Liberating’ souls                                        Review by AMY DE KANTER                                                                                       
  Enjoy this easy read with its strong message about the evils of materialism.

THE WINNER STANDS ALONE
By Paulo Coelho
Publisher: Harper, 368 pages
ISBN: 978-0061776335
  I DO not want to preach to the choir here. For his millions of fans worldwide, Paulo Coelho needs no introduction.
Heis consistently on best-seller lists. Several people I know await hisnew books with as much anticipation as the rest of us had for a newHarry Potter book. These people do not need a review of The Winner Stands Alone. They finished the book before I started typing.
So this is for the rest of you.
The first book I read of Coelho’s was Veronika Wants to Die.In the world of fiction, where most books revolve around a limitednumber of plots, Veronika was a real find. A young woman tries tocommit suicide for no better reason than she thinks her life is as goodas it is ever going to be. She wants to die at the peak of her life,before she starts sliding downhill.
She both succeeds and failsin her attempt; she is rescued, but the overdose she took has done itsdamage. She only has a few days left to live and spends them in asanitarium, dying slowly and at the same, free from the expectationsput on young women, finding that life has far more to offer.
Though Veronika did not convert me to the Church of Coelho, it did earn my immediate respect.
Coelhois the king of modern cautionary tales, using interesting situations topreach his gentle wisdom about life and understanding.
The Winner Stands Aloneis quite different. For one thing, it is a thriller. Coelho starts usrunning on the first page and keeps the pace all the way to a gallopingend.
The story takes place during the Cannes Film Festival.
Therich, the beautiful and the powerful are all there to realise a dreamor to keep the dream they have from ending. One man, a telcobillionaire, has arrived with his own agenda; to get his ex-wife’sattention and get her back.
He sends her messages by “liberating’’ souls from their dark existence. In other words, by killing them.
Coelho’scharacters may be succeeding or failing at what they want from life,but they are all unhappy. The only one who feels he has found thesecret of happiness is the murderer. He believes he is doing hisvictims a favour.
There is no rhyme or reason to who he choosesto kill. As he zeros in, Coelho takes his readers deeper than thekiller sees, into the victims’ minds.
A young woman sells craftsto help her parents, whom she loves. She also loves her boyfriend, eventhough he hits her. The killer singles her out.
Also in thecrosshairs is a fantastically rich film distributor who carries arounda bitter list of things that are considered normal, such as “making funof anyone who seeks happiness rather than money and accusing them of‘lacking ambition’”, and “being equally convinced that aggression andrudeness are synonymous with having a ‘powerful personality’”.
Coelho’scharacters are his voice and there is nothing subtle to its delivery.The characters never talk, they orate. It may not be very realistic,but it gets the message across without any effort on our part.
Hetakes on superficiality, smashes the illusion that actors are rich(most don’t own anything they live in, drive or wear), that modelingcan be a career (certainly not one that lasts more than a few years),that anything can buy happiness.
His description of a woman’sfirst walk onto the red carpet is mind-bending in the planning,calculation, fear and desperation that stars go through for theall-important 10 seconds in front of the cameras.
If you do notalready boycott diamonds, his description of how they only reachconsumers after several baths of human blood will have you joining theranks.
And I sincerely hope that his message about the revoltingsacrifices we make in the name of beauty finally gets heard. I want tolive to see a generation of girls grow up without that neck-breakingyoke.
Reading Coelho is as easy as watching TV or readingclassic Sydney Sheldon. There are no lines to read between, what yousee is what you get.
By all means read The Winner Stands Alone.But do not stop there if you want to read the books that brought Coelhohis worldwide following. Try some of his older work next if you want totruly understand why the United Nations named Coelho its Messenger ofPeace.

Use magic Report

Post time 1-7-2009 02:57 PM | Show all posts
I never read Coelho's work. Little I know about this writer but I believe he writes spiritual fictions in Portuguese. Frankly I am done with such mode of writing....Herman Hess is enough.

Use magic Report

Post time 1-7-2009 04:01 PM | Show all posts
The Alchemist satu phenomena literati yang telah mengejutkan dunia penulisan pada abad 20. Meraih tahap best selling dilapan belas negara. Jjumlah penjualan hingga 30 juta naskah.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 1-7-2009 09:26 PM | Show all posts
saya pun dah baca alchemist,baca yang terjemahan dalam BM.
memang best.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 5-7-2009 03:40 PM | Show all posts
Pnah baca The witch of portobello sj.. sy rasa bosan crita ni.. lelain x pnah baca.

Use magic Report

Post time 8-7-2009 06:32 PM | Show all posts
the zahir...mmg dalam maksudnye sbb sepanjang pembacaan buku tu aku nangis saja.

cerita tentang tahap sayang/cinta + pengorbanan
pastu ada sentuh pasal kehilangan + pertemuan

the zahir tu buat aku tersentuh hati, sbb tak selalu buku dpt buat effect mcm nih kat ati aku.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 9-7-2009 11:57 AM | Show all posts
saya pun dah baca alchemist,baca yang terjemahan dalam BM.
memang best.
willy_wonka Post at 1-7-2009 21:26

tak tau pulak i alchemist dah translate ke bahasa melayu sebab ada few frens yang tanya..

Use magic Report

Post time 10-8-2009 11:56 AM | Show all posts
so far, i've read The Alchemist, Veronika Decides To Die, The Witch of Portobello and now in the midst of reading By The River Piedra I Sat Down & Wept. (ada satu lagi, Devil & Miss Prym tpi put on hold kejaps)....

nk baca buku paolo ni kene slow & steady & faham betul2, sbb intipati dia berat esp. with the "signs", "the Goddess" thingy...tpi menarik & interesting la to read.

now looking forward to complete the collection...nk beli Eleven Minutes, The Zahir (tapi dua2 ni susah dah nk carik kt bookstores), Brida and the latest, The Winner Stands Alone.

Use magic Report

Post time 5-10-2009 10:48 AM | Show all posts
Kengkawan..

Sapa sapa yang berminat untuk mendapat novel terpakai…good price and good condition…

http://toko-buku-terpakai.blogspot.com

Use magic Report

Post time 18-11-2023 12:03 AM | Show all posts
With its extensive online platform that caters to tech enthusiasts as well as avid readers, tcb scans manga is a vibrant example of the fusion of literature and technology. On this website, cutting-edge design and contemporary technology are skillfully blended to produce an engaging and simple-to-use experience.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

2-5-2024 04:07 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.058678 second(s), 32 queries .