Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to list New
Author: Greenbottle3

another reason why we need to read good books

[Copy link]
Post time 7-11-2005 01:55 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by seribulan at 2-11-2005 12:10 PM

redsinner...hope this would be useful...n the link given below...

Orange Prize for Fiction's "50 Essential Reads by Contemporary Authors"

thanks seribulan for your recommendations...i end up making list of books that i'm going to buy...sort of making a check list so that i could keep track of my readings. cannot help it, i just love good books  :love:

kak siti...u can start with teen readers yg tulisan besa2...easier for you to sort the words out... it might sound cheesy but mmg i pun start dgn teen readers....baru bleh bergerak maju ke buku fiction biase...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 10-11-2005 08:11 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 2/11/05 12:01 AM
Kak siti...

kalau anda beginner dlm BI the safest and surest way to learn good english ia lah dgn baca newspapers...tapi saya suggest   JANGAN baca local newspapers macam nst atau STAR...sebab papers ni are very shallow...ia tidak akan menajamkan minda anda...saya suggest anda baca papers online especially  GUARDIAN UNLIMITED, TIMES (london) , THE INDEPENDANT atau NEW YORK TIMES terutama dalam section 'BOOKS'

I think THE STAR is quiet good.. the news are precise and short compared to NST.. hmm, but to improve English, the 'Mind our own English' column in the Star is very very very good.. and the book reviews, excellent stuff!

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 10-11-2005 07:49 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by limau_nipis at 10-11-2005 08:11 AM

I think THE STAR is quiet good.. the news are precise and short compared to NST.. hmm, but to improve English, the 'Mind our own English' column in the Star is very very very good..

here's the link...
http://thestar.com.my/english/

Use magic Report

Post time 11-11-2005 07:57 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by seribulan at 10/11/05 07:49 PM

here's the link...
http://thestar.com.my/english/

thanks a lot cik mod :cak:

Use magic Report

Post time 12-11-2005 10:24 PM | Show all posts
buku yang kita baca memberi impak kpd kelakuan kita...
so simple jerr alasannya

Use magic Report

Post time 9-12-2005 12:33 AM | Show all posts
aku suka thread ni. tapi aku rasa dah penah buat dah but for my personal sake (and it will spillover to some of u too) boley tak suggest sites2 yang interesting to read (AND FREE........!)

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 9-12-2005 11:28 PM | Show all posts
Reading is a sort of mental nourishment. I does matter what materials you read. As in the  computer parlance " Garbage  In and Garbage Out"'. It is unthinkable to see adult growing up reading comics and god knows what....

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 10-12-2005 12:39 AM | Show all posts
Ttg cara2 untuk improve BI, Hami rasalah dari pengalaman sendiri, bagi yang dewasa, selalu mendengar cara bahasa itu digunakan. Cari program BBC ....sekarangni Hami ingat ada program seperti talk shows Michael Parkinson, Hard Talk, dan ada lagi saya tak ingat. Rahsianya, kalau kita selalu mendengar cara mereka bertutur, kita lebih cepat cekap. Tak percaya boleh cuba......

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 10-12-2005 01:42 PM | Show all posts
[size=-2][size=-2]Different individual has different taste and passion. The spectrum is too wide and it ranges  from novel, history, philosophy, psychology, religion, essays, biography, allegory, satire, politics, economics, travel etc.etc.

The question is what is a great book? There  are there principles that should guide our selection :

• Outstanding literary merit;
  • The most highly original thinking in various branches of knowledge;
  • The writer's spiritual insight.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-12-2005 12:16 AM | Show all posts
thamrong;

this is my take on GOOD books....

1) the book must be WELL written, with the author's personal original style
2) must have challenging or tought provoking premises ,ideas and stories...this does not mean that what is written is 'right' or wrong'
3) non judgemental,formulaic,  allegiac , or blind praise or paens to personallities (in case of biographies) or the opposite
4) have fine sense of humour

some examples of authors that i consider very good

1) vladimir nabokov....he's russian and english is his second language..but the way he writes is so brilliant that it makes you want to cry....example of his books...Despair, lolita, Pale fire etc
2) Gunther Grass...A german nobelprize winner....his early books especially are phantasmagoric! ...see Tin Drum, Dog Years,   the Flounder , the meeting at Telgte for examples
3)Kurt vonnegut...this american satirist have written some of the best 'science fiction' with a very pessimistic outlook but  with a style of his own
4) Franz Kafka... what can I say...there's even a word 'kafkaeque' to denote strange situation wre're in as per his crazy books...
etc etc.....

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 11-12-2005 11:15 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 11-12-2005 12:16 AM
thamrong;

this is my take on GOOD books....

1) the book must be WELL written, with the author's personal original style
2) must have challenging or tought provoking premises ,ideas and stor ...

Very refreshing and well presented points. You have depth and very mystical person.

When I first try to pick up reading I wasn't too sure what  I wanted to read. My old man always  told me about the 2nd WW . My english was very poor ( and today is still poor....:cry::cry and I begin to read about Pacific war, however, when I met a liberal arts student  from Mauritius   in college he introduced me Khalil  Gibran and Lord Byron. And the journey begins......

[ Last edited by thamrong at 11-12-2005 02:01 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-12-2005 12:14 AM | Show all posts
thamrong;

i wish you well on your journey to discover books....a journey well worth taking....and how i wish i can live a thosand years...so that i can have time to read all those marvellous books.....

i'm a book addict....thank god no government punish you for being this kind of addict....

Use magic Report

Post time 13-12-2005 02:12 PM | Show all posts
A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever..;)
Martin Farquhar Tupper(1810-1889)

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 14-12-2005 12:34 AM | Show all posts
Thamrong,

This may not be Khalil Gibran......but something close..

No painter touched it,
No poet wrote it,
No singger sung it,
No politician changed it,
No soldier stopped it.

No one ordered it,
Framed it,
Packed
Bought or sold it.

It came and went
Ablaze
Afire,

It was the sky
Whilst the sun did retire.

-Deborah Bell

[ Last edited by hamizao at 23-1-2006 12:55 AM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 14-12-2005 02:00 AM | Show all posts
eyp greenbottle3, have always wanted to read Kafka....can u suggest his most interesting book?

i only know of his diary...suggest one of his book for me?

Use magic Report

Post time 26-12-2005 12:27 AM | Show all posts
Novel Kafka terlampau panjang (itupun tak habis!) sampai terasama macam menonton filem melayu - poinnya diketuk pada kepala berkali-kali-kali sampai bosan hingga termuntah.

Lebih baik cari cerpen Kafka, metamorphosis, the hunger artist, the great wall of china dan parabola (parables) dia.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 26-12-2005 08:39 AM | Show all posts
thanks for the input pessoa...

Use magic Report

Post time 17-11-2023 11:56 PM | Show all posts
For readers who are interested in literature and books, harimanga is a cutting-edge and enriching online resource. Readers may explore and immerse themselves in engrossing stories on this vibrant website, which showcases a wide and varied selection of books, novels, and literary works.

Use magic Report

Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

2-5-2024 06:18 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.304346 second(s), 52 queries .