CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 17298|Reply: 127

Tolerance.....how can we achieve it?

[Copy link]
Post time 1-7-2006 06:37 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
- Christianity's Golden Rule urges that we: 'Treat others as you want them to treat you.' (Luke 6:31)

-Confucius (a Chinese philosopher) said 'Do not do to others what you do not want the others to do to you.'

-Hillel the Elder, the famous Jewish rabbi from the 1st century BCE and CE summed up the Torah with the expression 'What is hateful to you, do not do to your friend.'

-'Every religion emphasises human improvement, love, respect for others, sharing other people's suffering. On these lines every religion has more or less the same viewpoint and the same goal.' The Dalai Lama (the leader of Tibetan Buddhists)

-A Hindu Holy Book teaches: 'This is the sum of duty; do nothing to others that you would not have them do to you.' (Mahabharata 5,1517)

-The Hadith  teaches: 'No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.'

With all these statements made by different faith groups....we see that what each and every religion teaches are good things. No one religion teaches us to do bad unto others as all human are equal regardless of their beliefs. What can we do to be tolerant with each other.....to be MALAYSIAN...not malay, chinese, indian or lain lain but MALAYSIAN with different religious beliefs. Please discuss rationally and try to make the others understand and maybe we can make a difference.

Thank you.

[ Last edited by  yusmar at 6-7-2006 06:41 PM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 1-7-2006 08:45 PM | Show all posts
This is what has to be emphasize by all leaders of respective communities, patrents and most important teachers of regualr and relgious schools. It has to be instiled in the minds of children from the day one of school otherwise it is only talk and no result. Only a handful of adults have such thoughts whereas most woudl not agree as they each have different opinion of teir respective faith. When leaders like Nik Aziz does not believe in Kongsi Raya or DeepaRaya how could his followers accept unity in diversity. Your thoughts are good and I appreciate and welcome it but are all people like you and me, surely not and that is why it should begin from the young ones so that the future generation of Malaysians could live in harmony without fear of each other.

"Never quarrel about religion. All quarrels and disputes concerning religion simply show that spirituality is not present." - Swami Vivekananda.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 1-7-2006 09:21 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by barney50 at 1-7-2006 08:45 PM
This is what has to be emphasize by all leaders of respective communities, patrents and most important teachers of regualr and relgious schools. It has to be instiled in the minds of children from  ...

that's why the postings i did here just to defend my religion and some witty jokes..
why should i wrote about other religion when i don't fully understand my own religion?
if everyone just try to deepening their own religion understanding, we can avoid holier that thou attitude...

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 1-7-2006 10:12 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by juwaini at 1-7-2006 09:21 PM

that's why the postings i did here just to defend my religion and some witty jokes..
why should i wrote about other religion when i don't fully understand my own religion?
if everyone just tr ...

You are right to defend your own religion as i believe that is what the others are doing too.....but instead of arguing....why don't we explain dengan tenang....walaupun di hina bagaimane sekalipun.

I believe they themselves do not fully understand that is why you get posts that are discriminating and belittling.

Just my two sens worth.

[ Last edited by  yusmar at 1-7-2006 10:13 PM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 2-7-2006 12:13 AM | Show all posts

This should be a beautiful discussion. I hope no one will ruin it.

[ Last edited by  BeanDiesel at 3-7-2006 04:34 PM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-7-2006 01:08 AM | Show all posts
I  believe that  Racism is a negative view of people of other ethnic backgrounds, but tolerance is a code of behaviour when faced with people we don't  like, for whatever reason. In a multicultural society - taking that term in its widest sense, and not just the cultural differences associated with ethnicity - there would be few of us who manage to take an equally positive view of all those around us.

It is impossible to achieve agreement or consensus on many subjects. But it is possible to achieve tolerance, a peaceful co-existence. This is why people can be racist and tolerant at the same time. They may not like people of other ethnic groups, but this is not a prejudice they would act on.

The underlying problem is mainly cultural rather than racial , however, it doesn't make it easier to deal with. Discrediting the idea that race and behaviour are intrinsically linked isn't  going to solve anything unless either behaviour changes or attitudes to behaviour change. To be able to accept the other for what they believe in could be the key but to do that......the mentality of the people has got  to change and understand that we are all the same regardless of our beliefs. These has to be taught from young to instill these values.

[ Last edited by  yusmar at 2-7-2006 01:17 AM ]

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 2-7-2006 09:27 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by yusmar at 1-7-2006 10:12 PM

You are right to defend your own religion as i believe that is what the others are doing too.....but instead of arguing....why don't we explain dengan tenang....walaupun di hina bagaimane sekalipun.

I believe they themselves do not fully understand that is why you get posts that are discriminating and belittling.

Just my two sens worth.

yeah, but i believe that if i really love my religion, i need to defend it with passion. if not, i'm just a robotic defender...

they're not fully understand, i agree. but we need to look back at the purpose of their question.. i'll give the examples :
1) i read today's newspaper and see that wahhabi kills another shiah muslim. why did something like that happened? u're from the same religion isn't it?
2) look at muslims, under the name of jihad, they killed their brothers.. wahhabi kills shiah... this is what muhammad taught u to do..

between the 1st and 2nd statement, the 1st one show that the person don't have enough knowledge about islam and need some explanation. how about the 2nd one? the statement show offensive stance towards islam. did they even know that jihad is not only practised by war? did they know that make a business to fulfill our family needs is also a jihad? it doesn't need a rocket scientist to differentiate between 2 statements...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-7-2006 05:06 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by juwaini at 2-7-2006 09:27 AM

yeah, but i believe that if i really love my religion, i need to defend it with passion. if not, i'm just a robotic defender...

they're not fully understand, i agree. but we need to look bac ...

that is the whole point....they don't know and they don't understand. what they are asking and saying is sarcasm and belittling needs....not to understand. non muslims were brought up to only see the negative side of the muslim....and it doesn't help when there are issues pertaining to islams that made mor ppl think of us otherwise.....but it is our duty to make them understand that WE......are not terrorists....WE are not idiots.....we understand what it is all about to live in harmony and respecting others.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 3-7-2006 05:10 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by yusmar at 3-7-2006 05:06 PM

that is the whole point....they don't know and they don't understand. what they are asking and saying is sarcasm and belittling needs....not to understand. non muslims were brought up to only s ...

why did in this thread, relatively only small number of person posting here?
because this is not a holier that thou thread?
or because there's no clown?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-7-2006 05:33 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by juwaini at 3-7-2006 05:10 PM

why did in this thread, relatively only small number of person posting here?
because this is not a holier that thou thread?
or because there's no clown?

lol because....discussing constructively towards the better of human kind are not their main agenda. Lets discuss civilly cam ne nak live together in this country in harmony........of course not  many will discuss coz they themselves chances are do not know how to.....or they refuse to co exist therefore put the blame on others....;)

for me....this is where we learn how to be tolerance....explain their concept on living harmoniously without blaming anyone......:geram:

Use magic Report

Post time 3-7-2006 08:58 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by yusmar at 3-7-2006 05:33 PM

lol because....discussing constructively towards the better of human kind are not their main agenda. Lets discuss civilly cam ne nak live together in this country in harmony........of cour ...

:setuju:
what else i can say...
when the world is mushroomed by anti-islam muppets..

Use magic Report

Post time 4-7-2006 09:58 AM | Show all posts
The best words I think is the Islam one... the Quran questions the belief / the faith of man who does not love others. Other 'holy' book do not question the man's faith, so generally the people would not care about loving others. They still a christian though they act unlovingly. They still a hindu if they act unlovingly. They still a buddhist if they act unlovingly. The worst is jews, none from their 'holy' book, but rely on words from a rabbi. So, In Islam, if you care your faith, you care other people. This statement is very clearly linking faith with loves. Other than Islam, faith has nothing to do with caring.

Use magic Report

Post time 4-7-2006 10:12 PM | Show all posts
Hindu Vision of a Harmonious World:

* Where harmlessness to all creatures is the highest culture, service to the poor is the highest worship, compassion is the highest religion, truth is the highest law, and love for all God's creatures is the highest philosophy.
    * Where political, social and religious institutions and their leaders strive tirelessly to accept people of all races, colors and creeds, and respect their faiths and beliefs.
    * Where all forms of life are revered as various expressions of the Supreme Lord and ahimsã is the governing law.
    * Where educational, political and economic systems are designed to assist individuals to unfold their highest potential.
    * Where mothers, fathers, teachers and elders are revered, children are brought up with self-esteem, and the young are taught to respect intrinsic human values.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-7-2006 10:42 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by barney50 at 4-7-2006 10:12 PM
Hindu Vision of a Harmonious World:

* Where harmlessness to all creatures is the highest culture, service to the poor is the highest worship, compassion is the highest religion, truth is the ...

Are all these in the Hindu's holy book? if I am not mistaken there are a few right or am I wrong? What about the Bhagavad Gita, The Mahabharata, The Brahma Sutras and others ? Is it consider a holy book ?:hmm:

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2006 01:19 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by yusmar at 1-7-2006 06:37 PM
-The Muslim Holy Quran teaches: 'No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.'

You can stop lying about Islam.

because there are no such verse in the Quran.

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2006 01:39 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Oreng at 4-7-2006 09:58 AM
The best words I think is the Islam one... the Quran questions the belief / the faith of man who does not love others.

So, In Islam, if you care your faith, you care other people.

Let me show you how Quran teaches you to "care" about others.

Qur抋n:9:5  So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Qur抋n:9:112          Surely Allah has bought of the believers their persons and their property for this, that they shall have the garden; they fight in Allah's way, so they slay and are slain; a promise which is binding on Him in the Taurat and the Injeel and the Quran; and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? Rejoice therefore in the pledge which you have made; and that is the mighty achievement.

Qur抋n:9:29          Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Qur抋n:9:123          O ye who believe! Fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you, and let them find harshness in you, and know that Allah is with those who keep their duty (unto Him). 揊ight the unbelievers around you, and let them find harshness in you.擺/color]

wonderful isn't it.. with verses like that, you can see why muslims are "so loving" to the non-muslims.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 5-7-2006 02:05 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by FaithHealer3 at 7/4/06 09:39 AM

Qur抋n:9:5  So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them  ...

yeah, and thn somebody will come and show intolerance in the Bible and all other books. Great, that's how we can acieve tolerance huh?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2006 02:29 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by FaithHealer3 at 5-7-2006 01:19 AM

You can stop lying about Islam.

because there are no such verse in the Quran.

Not one of you is a believer until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.
Forty Hadith of an-Nawawi 13

FaithHealer......what we want to achieve here is trying to understand each other......have you ever thought that those verses were during those days when the muslims were at war. I have read a lot of books and no religion teaches anyone to be at war....I remember the Hindu  war....the nazi's killing the jews....the sunni killing the shiites......the jews killing the muslims......it is not the religion.....it is the people that uses religion as their up most weapon....and for those who are easily swayed.....they blame it on the religion.

We are in Malaysia....and TOLERANCE is part of our Vision 2020.......why do we keep bringing up issues that would create detrimental arguments that would lead to name calling and religious bashing? Haven't we had enough ?

Why don't you give your point on TOLERANCE......and maybe you can make a difference.

Thank you.

[ Last edited by  yusmar at 5-7-2006 02:30 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2006 08:29 AM | Show all posts
[quote]Originally posted by FaithHealer3 at 5-7-2006 01:39 AM

Qur抋n:9:5  So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Qur抋n:9:112          Surely Allah has bought of the believers their persons and their property for this, that they shall have the garden; they fight in Allah's way, so they slay and are slain; a promise which is binding on Him in the Taurat and the Injeel and the Quran; and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? Rejoice therefore in the pledge which you have made; and that is the mighty achievement.

Qur抋n:9:29          Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Qur抋n:9:123          O ye who believe! Fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you, and let them find harshness in you, and know that Allah is with those who keep their duty (unto Him). 揊ight the unbelievers around you, and let them find harshness in you.

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2006 10:19 AM | Show all posts
by BeanDiesel   

yeah, and thn somebody will come and show intolerance in the Bible and all other books. Great, that's how we can acieve tolerance huh?  

You achieve tolerance by practising tolerance.

Is Islam a tolerance religion toward other beliefs? History and the religion itself says NO, therefore, Muslims have no right to ask others to be tolerance toward them. :no:

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

23-5-2024 10:42 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.145263 second(s), 47 queries .