Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 7412|Reply: 80

Buddhism and Islam

[Copy link]
Post time 5-7-2007 05:42 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Salam semua,

Saya harap saya tak menanya soalan yang menyakitkan hati ke apa.

I am interested in Buddhism as an alternative lifestyle. I find lots of wisdom in Buddhism which is simpler to understand than Islam. Don't get me wrong, I am Muslim, I pray, fast, the whole works and I believe in Allah. I think what was sent down to Prophey Muhammad (pbuh) was direct from God and thus I find his sayings, a little bit on the authoritative side, well, that's because it is from God and as God is our Lord, we must actually follow what is being asked without question.

Buddhism on the other hand explains life and universe in a way that I could relate to... more humanly and more day-to-day as well. It is spiritual, it wise, it explains cause and effect well, also the inner workings of life and universe. I can relate to a lot of it... but mainly as a guidance in life and sort of wisdom. Buddhism is a very old religion, and there is no concept of God in it, but there's a lot of wisdom and truths in it.

In Buddhism I find peace, in Islam I also find peace. I know Allah exists and I testify that Muhammad is Rasulullah. But sometimes I just find Islam a little hard to swallow and its wisdom is very hard to understand. Not everybody has come to the ripe age or have many life experience to succumb to Takdir, Takdir. I believe that is bad too because we never know whether it's really Destiny or just our plain lazy ass to give God an excuse for everything that happens. At least Buddhism I find gives a balance of both the human will and the will of the Universe.

I'm wanting to know whether there are any similarities between Buddhism and Islam, and as Islam is my main religion, anything that is against Islam that's in Buddhism I should know and avoid to blindly believe.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 5-7-2007 06:13 PM | Show all posts

Reply #1 merigigi's post

pada pendapat sy yg cetek ilmu ni...semua cara buddism sesuai ngan Islam...

kecuali bab tiada Tuhan itu je...

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 06:19 PM | Show all posts
Merigigi, it was never about takdir. It's about what you truly want to achieve in your life.

If you talking about universe, al-Quran make a lot sense in that matters.

The first who make journey to the sea and map the world?

What did brought light to end the dark ages in Europe?

Science, Astrology and Medical?

When women recover their dignity in society?

When the purgatory of servants end?

It's does not matter how old a religion is, does switching from something that already brought civilization to the world, by letting go the core teaching for the sake of the civilization will put a difference?

First of my thought you are selfish, is it the easiest way is always the best?

Seek out the history of Islam thats so far at least the valid story that you can verified fairly new. I didn't said Buddha wasn't right. But to the point of age and men thinking do you believe that men wont get diluted holding a God's testament once he feel everything in his life inferior. How inferior one's life? how about death?

I believe every religion in this world came from the very same source, even the oldest like Hindus/Buddha. Hindus even got old testament saying the god "ar-rahman"(the merciful). It's in the hand of men a religion turn into what we have seen today. It come to same end for Islam also since the chaos happening now. But I believe truth to be found in the latest version of all testament and religion and it should be in Islam, but do not follow Islam like what you've seen today. Ibadah & Solah wasn't the core of it's teaching; if you fall to that categories you have fall to the treachery of men who evicted the teachings.

".....tetapi kebanyakan manusia tidak mengetahui"  <--- dont follow most people either Islam or not, seek out the truth. Guidence will reveal afterward if you true to your heart, God will let you know.

[ Last edited by  Syarul at 5-7-2007 06:23 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 07:04 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by merigigi at 5-7-2007 05:42 PM
Salam semua,

Saya harap saya tak menanya soalan yang menyakitkan hati ke apa.

I am interested in Buddhism as an alternative lifestyle. I find lots of wisdom in Buddhism which is simpler to  ...

I`m suprise to find this thread here in this board....

You do not have to leave Islam to be Buddhism....

You can take Buddha as prohet of Allah and practise his teaching....

by the way, Buddhism teaching is harder than Islam if you really study

I'm wanting to know whether there are any similarities between Buddhismand Islam, and as Islam is my main religion, anything that is againstIslam that's in Buddhism I should know and avoid to blindly believe.

I think the biggest misconception is reincarnation in Buddhism.. well, there are no reincarnation in Buddhism.... only rebirth...

If you get it wrong, you are lost in Buddhism....

there are no permanent soul... or... you do not exist... if you want I can explain this...

the concept of you die your soul reincarnated into fly, pig etc do not exist.... there are no soul

Other concept I think is the same as Islam...

look deeper

Karma is balasan
Nibbana is what Islam known as Syurga la

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 07:06 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Syarul at 5-7-2007 06:19 PM

".....tetapi kebanyakan manusia tidak mengetahui"  <--- dont followmost people either Islam or not, seek out the truth. Guidence willreveal afterward if you true to your heart, God will let you know..

You are right....

take the teaching and test it... test it whethere it is truth or not.. do not believe what people say

You are your best judge...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2007 07:13 PM | Show all posts
salam syarul,

thanks for your comments.

first of all, the thought of you as me being selfish because of my choice to believe and choose Buddhism as an alternative lifestyle is selfish on your part. my own life experience and the world i see doesn't seem to understand Islam in many parts. i accept most of the religion because Islam has made me know Allah, and I know Allah is real. But there are some sayings/teachings of the Prophet SAW that is difficult to understand (in real world/normal human being/non-ulama') context, so I accept that Muhammad is the Prophet of God and God has revealed to him what is the Truth from God Himself. Compare that with people like you and I, we are too normal to be handed down first-hand Truth compared to Muhammad. And to me, the Truth is wide, deep and difficult to understand, to some extent it takes a leap of Faith to accept what God and what Muhammad says. Like I said before, for most young people like myself whose age is still far from 'natural death age', it's simply hard to just accept "Well, that's God's Will." without no explanation. People who blindly accept takdir, takdir can fall into the trap of letting life pass by itself just like that without any attempt to change it. To strike the balance in the middle takes time, experience and wisdom.

For example is, life after death. How is one supposed to know what life after death is supposed to be like if one isn't dead? Don't assume that you know it all because you obviously never been there. So, for normal people like us, we are supposed to take it in Faith if we believe that Allah is God. What really happens there, we do not know now... until we die of course.

I am not arrogant. I have seen many things in my short span of life and have also worked for my own life too. I live in the fast lane, more and more bleieving in God and Fate than I have ever did. Now, I know what waswas (or deceptions by Satan) really means. Previously, when I was younger and when people like you and I used to argue things rhetorically, one would think it's just suggestion to sin. But waswas is delusion diverting from what is the Truth/reality... Living in the fast lane made it apparent to me that Syaitan whispers waswas that money will solve everything. I've seen people's life get burnt just by that belief and lost almost everything they worked for/have even they have 10 million bucks in the bank account.

I'm sorry to bring that up, but what I'm trying to say is, at this moment in life, I want answers to my life, Life in general and the Universe. Not rhetoric. If you're a man of faith, of course, you will say, that Islam has brought the light to dark-ages Europe, ruled 1/2 the known world at one time, etc. But Buddhism itself is a great religion as well. It pre-dates Islam and it also has achieved (maybe notas grand as Islam) in its time. And from my life experience and my living of life, Buddhism gives me answers. I am in search of peace, self-contentment in life. The wisdoms in Buddhisms gives me that. But I don't forget Islam too. The spiritual aspects of Islam like praying and fasting, and dua to God gives me peace. When it comes to life's advice, the inner workings of life, I find it in Buddhism too.

I'm not really interested in How Islam has changed the world bla bla bla. You can call me selfish, but reading just how Islam is the Truth articles doesn't change my life. What I want is answers, peace and serenity. How can articles on How Islam Bring Light to the Dark Ages help me with that? I don't think it at all I am being selfish, I am, like most people in this world, trying to find peace and happiness.

Okay, to be fair, let's have this thread on Life's Advice from Islam. I think that'll do a lot of good and practicality on how people are living.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 5-7-2007 07:15 PM | Show all posts
merigigi

this is my advice laa.....

take the teaching of Buddhism as one branch of Allah.....

if you cant take Buddhism out of your mind and cant leave Islam,

then practise rightfold path and five precepts.

this is more than enough

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 07:18 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by merigigi at 5-7-2007 07:13 PM
I'm sorry to bring that up, but what I'm trying to say is, at thismoment in life, I want answers to my life, Life in general and theUniverse..

hhmm.....

You are blinded I would say..... by your ego if you think like this....

You will be lost and know nothing if you try to understand everyting....

if you understand yourself, you understand everything

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 5-7-2007 07:20 PM | Show all posts

Reply #6 merigigi's post

please again note your problem that Islam does not answer...

and what is the answer in buddism...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2007 07:21 PM | Show all posts
what is rightfold path?

thanks...

i am in need of spiritual guidance... i am sorry, but Islam answers are difficult to understand compared to Buddhism

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 07:21 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by wei_loon5063 at 5-7-2007 07:18 PM

hhmm.....

You are blinded I would say..... by your ego if you think like this....

You will be lost and know nothing if you try to understand everyting....

if you understand yourself ...

hehe...same path of Islam...

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 07:22 PM | Show all posts
alamak smayang magrib dulu...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2007 07:25 PM | Show all posts
Okay, I may sound simplistic when I say this... but I have done many things that Islam teach me to do... still I have problems in my life. But recently I read some stuff on Buddhism (no, I'm not intending to research it too deeply, just being practical for the answers to the questions in my life), that suffering is part of life, etc. Some really truthful, deep and wise wisdoms that really does gives me the answers that I've been searching for in life.

Look, let's not argue Islam vs Buddhism here, okay? I'm not a scholar. I am just a normal person, seeking for anwers, seeking to live a peaceful and happy life. That's all.

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 07:27 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by merigigi at 5-7-2007 07:21 PM
what is rightfold path?

thanks...

i am in need of spiritual guidance... i am sorry, but Islam answers are difficult to understand compared to Buddhism

sorry... eightfold path...

1. Right UnderstanginWisdom
2. Right Intention
3. Right SpeechEthical Conduct
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right EffortMental Development
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

First is right understanding of the Dhamma... or dependent arisin
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/depend.htm

Can any muslim here comment on this dependent arising thing in the point of Islam?

then you practise it from 2nd to 8th

7th and 8th is meditation.. the hardest one....

if you want guidance you can go to Buddhism board...

Buddhism is harder to understand than Islam...that is why many Buddhis fail to understand and converted into christianity

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 07:31 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by merigigi at 5-7-2007 07:25 PM
Look, let's not argue Islam vs Buddhism here, okay? I'm not a scholar.I am just a normal person, seeking for anwers, seeking to live apeaceful and happy life. That's all...

Buddhist do not care what other people say about it...

Life is suffering due to our desire.. this is explained in four noble truth....

you seek answer? You do not ahve to leave Islam...

Truth that reveal by Buddha is one.. but not the ultimate by saying Islam is fake etc...

the truth is juzt one way of saying life as it is...

But recently I read some stuff on Buddhism (no, I'm not intending toresearch it too deeply, just being practical for the answers to thequestions in my life), that suffering is part of life, etc.

suffering is not part of life... life is suffering... or to be specific.. there are suffering...

[ Last edited by  wei_loon5063 at 5-7-2007 07:37 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 10:39 PM | Show all posts
But sometimes I just find Islam a little hard to swallow and its wisdom is very hard to understand. Not everybody has come to the ripe age or have many life experience to succumb to Takdir, Takdir. I believe that is bad too because we never know whether it's really Destiny or just our plain lazy ass to give God an excuse for everything that happens.

Saya rasa ni kena huraian lagi apa maksud merigigi.

"never know whether it's really Destiny" terjemahan = tidak tahu samada ia adalah takdir

atau

"just our plain lazy ass to give God an excuse for everything that happens" - sifat malas untuk memberi alasan bahawa Allah yang menentukan semuanya.

Setiap perbuatan kita itu adalah sebab pilihan dan jalan yang kita ambil.  Dan Allah dengan sifat maha mengetahuiNya tahu apa pilihan kita itu sejak belum kita dilahirkan.  Tak payah lah merigigi fikir-fikir tentang sifat Allah, tu nanti pening kepala.

Cuma fikirkan saja.  Adakah merigigi tahu apa yang berlaku esok?  Memang rasanya tak tahu.  Jadi kalau tak tahu apakah yang merigigi rasa patut buat?  Buat sesuatu atau duduk relax tunggu takdir?

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 5-7-2007 10:42 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ibnur at 5-7-2007 10:39 PM

Saya rasa ni kena huraian lagi apa maksud merigigi.

"never know whether it's really Destiny" terjemahan = tidak tahu samada ia adalah takdir

atau

"just our plain lazy ass to give God ...

setuju ngan ibnur....

tapi apa2 pun megerigi silalah perjelaskan lagi masalahnya...Islam pasti ada jawabnya....

silalah...

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 10:56 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by ussopp at 5-7-2007 10:42 PM

tapi apa2 pun megerigi silalah perjelaskan lagi masalahnya...Islam pasti ada jawabnya....

semua benda ada jawapannya.... dan adakah kita lihat jawapan dengan apa yang kita nak lihat atau lihat jawapan sebagai jawapan itu sendiri?

Cuma tak harap dia jadi Lina Joy seterusnya la

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2007 11:07 PM | Show all posts
salam semua,

maafkan saya, tetapi bukan maksud saya untuk menghina islam dalam apa cara sekali pun.

persoalan saya tentang buddhism dan islam juga berkisar tentang kehidupan saya. banyak juga saya telah tempuhi dan beberapa kali saya jatuh dan terluka (bukan cinta, tapi kehidupan itu sendiri) dalam kehidupan ini. saya cuba mencari jawapan dalam agama Islam sendiri, tapi tidak menjumpai jawapan praktikal terhadap permasalahan saya. saya tahu, saya tidak akan ketemu jawapan itu hari ini, esok juga atau lusa. mungkin bertahun-tahun saya akan jumpa jawapan yang sedang saya cari dan saya harap, saya akan ketemu dengan kedamaian.

The problem is spiritual and reality. I live in the fast lane and work within the A******n culture. I'm sorry to drag the country (which I really DO NOT want to start a flame war about the country here). But in the industry I work in, the people I work with, money is the root of everything. I have been tricked (yes, now I REALLY believe the Devil exists) that money will solve everything and make you immortal. Have made money and been burnt, I keep on chasing and chasing after that something (money, I thought) that will solve all of my life's illness. Hey, I am not an heiress, I still have car/rent to pay like most people, but I've always dreamed of having it more than others.

Then recently, the company I worked with and helped built, not really to say it retrenched me, but rather politely asked me to search a job elsewhere. It was a real shoker to me, but also self-revealing that I am, in business sense, not capable of making it to the next level. But I stayed for a bit, that's out of their gratitude, and I am more convinced that I cannot cope with the 'fast-lane' and in this industry that is so money driven. Money can be made here through the roofs, and can dissapear in one whiff of the wind. It has happened to two close acquintances and it's a norm in this industry. If you're working in the industry I'm in, you'll just see money everywhere. The couple green years you could be excited about it, but now to the extent that I am 'jelak' and nak muntah.

Here I am, after a couple of months of being depressed, sitting down, re-thinking of my life's objectives. I can't keep still, I can't keep calm, my thoughts are racing. Praying and reading the Quran helps, a counselor helps to. And I have to honestly say, Buddhism helps me too...

Problem with being in a socity that is too materialistic is how to de-meterialize the attachment and cravings. I hope to find the answer in Buddhism, and I hope Islam can give me some answers too. The cravings for material wealth and money, if you been there, it is endless, it's never enough... and once you thought it's enough, it can all dissapear.

If you know what I'm trying to say, from a spiritial point of view or world view either Islam or Buddhism can help me... really appreciated...

Use magic Report

Post time 5-7-2007 11:11 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by wei_loon5063 at 5-7-2007 10:56 PM

semua benda ada jawapannya.... dan adakah kita lihat jawapan dengan apa yang kita nak lihat atau lihat jawapan sebagai jawapan itu sendiri?

Cuma tak harap dia jadi Lina Joy seterusnya la  ...

hehe....you are rite...dont worry...

Dengan Nama Tuhan.....

surah 91.....

[1]Demi matahari dan cahayanya di pagi hari,

[2] dan bulan apabila mengiringinya,

[3] dan siang apabila menampakkannya,

[4] dan malam apabila menutupinya,

[5] dan langit serta pembinaannya,

[6] dan bumi serta penghamparannya,

[7] dan jiwa serta penyempurnaannya (ciptaannya),

[8] maka Allah mengilhamkan kepada jiwa itu (jalan) kefasikan dan ketakwaannya,

[9] sesungguhnya beruntunglah orang yang menyucikan jiwa itu,

[10] dan sesungguhnya merugilah orang yang mengotorinya.

[ Last edited by  ussopp at 5-7-2007 11:19 PM ]

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

12-5-2024 06:39 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.305806 second(s), 50 queries .