CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 3319|Reply: 14

WRC: Colin McRae feared dead

[Copy link]
Post time 16-9-2007 05:22 AM | Show all posts |Read mode
Colin McRae, the former world rally driving champion, is feared dead in a helicopter crash in Scotland.

The aircraft burst into flames after it came down in woodland near Lanark, at around 4.10pm, killing everyone on board.

Jean-Eric Freudiger, McRae's agent, last night told The Sunday Telegraph he had spoken to the driver's brother and that he had confirmed the former champion had been piloting the Squirrel aircraft.

Speaking from his home in Switzerland, Mr Freudiger said he was still in shock and fighting back tears as he said he could not reach Mr McRae's wife, Alison.

He added: "I have heard that it was his aircraft. He was in the helicopter. I cannot believe it was a helicopter pilot error because as my best friend and the godfather of my daughter I know he was a very safe pilot.

"We have been close business partners and friends for seven years. He is the best person I have ever met in my life. I have to try and understand what I have just been told."

The aircraft, which was registered to McRae, came down in Jervis Wood, around a mile from Mr McRae's home at Bellefield Road in Lanark.

The 39-year-old McRae

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 16-9-2007 08:50 PM | Show all posts
Police confirm identity of crash victims  

Police have confirmed that Colin McRae and his son, along with another adult and a child, have been killed in the helicopter crash yesterday at McRae's estate in Scotland.

The 1995 World Rally Champion was piloting the helicopter carrying his five-year-old son Johnny, his six-year-old friend Ben Porcelli and 27-year-old family friend Graeme Duncan.

The helicopter crashed shortly after 4:00pm in Jerviswood after the party were returning from a nearby village, the police said.

"It has now been confirmed that there were four people, two adults and two young children on board," the police said in a statement.

"Although a post mortem has still to take place, the four involved are believed to be Mr Colin McRae (39) of Jerviswood House and his son Johnny Gavin McRae, aged 5; Ben Porcelli (6), of Cleghorn Road, Lanark, who had been over playing with Johnny; and family friend Graeme Duncan (37), of L'Ile Degaillot, Faycelles, France.

"A full report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal."

Chief Superintendent Tim Love, Divisional Commander, South Lanarkshire Division, said: "We believe that the group were just returning from a visit to the nearby village of Quarter around 1605 hours yesterday, when it appears that the helicopter got into difficulty and crashed within the grounds of Mr McRae's family home.

"Our officers are working closely with the Air Accident Investigation Team who are presently at the scene.

"Family Liaison Officers have been appointed and are with the families to help them through this distressing and difficult time."

The cause of the crash has not yet been established, but those who knew McRae have been adamant it could not have been a pilot error.

"It was a mechanical failure on the helicopter," a close family friend told autosport.com.

"As anybody who flew with Colin knew, there was absolutely no correlation between the way he drove a rally car and the way he flew a helicopter.

"I have flown with many professional helicopter pilots, and Colin would have put them to shame. His attention to detail as a pilot was second to none."
-------------------------------------

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2007 12:52 AM | Show all posts
HELICOPTER CRASH

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2007 12:56 AM | Show all posts
heli terhempas.....
lagipun dia ni bukannya hebat sangat pun....
menang sekali ja....sebab dia org british glamer ja lebih...

[ Last edited by  hyphrigian at 17-9-2007 12:58 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2007 12:57 AM | Show all posts
kompom dah mati la

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2007 12:48 PM | Show all posts

RIP: Colin McRae

Rally star Colin dies in crash
By ONLINE REPORTER
September 15, 2007

RALLY driver Colin McRae and his five-year-old son Johnny have been killed in a helicopter crash that happened near his Scottish home on Saturday afternoon.

Two family friends, six-year-old Ben Porcelli of Lanark and Graeme Duncan, 37, who lived in France, were also killed when the Squirrel helicopter burst into flames at around 4.10pm.

The Scot, 39, was a licensed pilot and owned a helicopter which he flew around his home town of Jerviswood, Lanark.

Strathclyde police confirmed that there were "no survivors".

A team from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) arrived at the scene at first light this morning, after travelling from Farnborough in Hampshire overnight.

A thorough investigation of the area is continuing today, after police remained at the scene during the night.

A spokesman for Strathclyde Police said this morning: 揥e will be working in tandem with investigators from the AAIB."

McRae hit the headlines in 1995 when he won the World Rally Championship.

His friend, rally journalist Jeremy Hart, described the star as "the Michael Schumacher of rally driving".

The champion was married to wife, Alison, and had a daughter, Hollie.

----------------------------

RIP~ Its a great loss indeed

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 17-9-2007 01:00 PM | Show all posts
kehilangan besar bg sukan rally keta..
emm tak silap aku dia drive ford focus kan

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2007 01:45 PM | Show all posts
innalillahiwainnailaihiraji'un.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 17-9-2007 01:46 PM | Show all posts
yg game Collin McRally tue... bawah pengawasan dia lar kan......sadisnyaaaaaaaaaa

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2007 01:48 PM | Show all posts
FEELIN SAD.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2007 02:21 PM | Show all posts
dalam sportscenter malam ni mesti ada ni ..

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2007 03:09 PM | Show all posts
Lepas Possum Bourne n Richard Burns, Colin McRae pulak yang pergi. What a lost to the Rallying world. Semua racing dia try: WRC, Dakar Rally, LeMans 24-Hours.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2007 05:52 PM | Show all posts
Ish... mcm tak percaya jer. Aku dah ler still main lagi game dia.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-9-2007 08:16 PM | Show all posts
game mcrae aku maen kat hp sabun aku aritu
hahahaha

Use magic Report

lobak_sawi This user has been deleted
Post time 17-9-2007 09:45 PM | Show all posts
da mati dah.aku pun main kete rali subaru mcrea tu kt hp.hahaha

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

13-5-2024 10:51 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.086284 second(s), 48 queries .