Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 1976|Reply: 0

Untuk yang blm pernah baca benda ni sahaja

[Copy link]
Post time 19-10-2007 10:01 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Mungking 'repost', tapi lantaklah

Rasa bangga di hati ini.....  tahniah ATM

I have read about poor command reationships and infighting between the Rangers and the "Delta Force" units during the firefight. How did any of you see the relationship and was it detrimental to your success?... KENI THOMAS: The relationship between the Ranger troops and the Delta NCOs was always one of professionalism and mutual respect. Any discrepencies during the battle would have been at the officer level of the two units. This is understandable because both operate with different SOPs. But I do not think you will find too many negative comments about the performance of either side and their ability to work together during the chaos of battle. They covered for me and I covered for them. I hold all of them in the highest regard and with the utmost respect. They've truly earned their elite status. ...Is there anything that may have been left out [from FRONTLINE'S "Ambush in Mogadishu"]? KENI THOMAS: I first want to reiterate to all my friends [at FRONTLINE and Invision], and, yes, I do consider them friends, just how grateful all of us are that you gave us the opportunity to tell the story. I know from all the letters that many Americans were touched and moved by your presentation. I too have been deeply moved by the overwhelming letters of support and gratitude.... You have helped the healing process and lent to us a sense of validity and added pride in our small piece of history. Next I was asked if there was anything I would want to add to the story. I want to ensure that people know the heroic events that took place at the second crash site. Because of classified information and unit sensitivity very little has been told about SFC Randy Shugart and MSG Gary Gordon, the two Delta operators who roped down to aid CWO Michael Durant and his crew. With nothing but the weapons on their backs the two men roped down and raced through a barrage of fire from the oncoming Somali militia. They made their way to the crash site through a maze of shacks and fought off the overwhelming numbers until their ammunition ran out. When Shugart was finally killed, Gordon grabbed a rifle with his last five rounds of ammunition and handed them to Durant, the only survivor, and said "Good luck." Gordon stepped back out from the wreckage and resumed the fight, armed only with a pistol, until he too was killed. Durant was captured and held hostage for 11 days. But he was alive. Gordon and Shugart were both awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for their actions that day. These men will be remembered. ...Were you briefed on the implications of riding the helo skids and showing the soles of your boots to the Somalis by intel or Psywar types? I'm wondering if it was a concious decision to do so. What happened to the Ranger support group that was part of the original plan (not the larger force that finally was dispatched.) Why didn't they get to your aid as soon as you were in trouble ?
-- John Blume
KENI THOMAS: I don't think that showing the soles of our boots was meant to be anything other than a way to pack 15 men into the body of a Blackhawk. We had been training that way long before going to Somalia. I'm not sure what original plan you are referring to. But I can tell you why there was a delay in sending out the QRF (quick reaction Force of the 10th MTN). Once we set into a perimeter around the crash, we had the situation under control. At least long enough for Gen. Montgomery and Gen. Garrison to get together a thorough and effective plan to come in for the casualties. There has been some concern that we as the US had to go begging for help from the Malaysians & Pakistanis. This is not the case as they were technically under the command of Gen. Montgomery as the UN force commander. In fact they were quick to respond and complied completely and professionally. They too suffered casualties that night . Had we our own armored force, the Generals say, even then they would have taken the extra time. Although they do add that some time in organization may have been saved. We are grateful to the relief force from the 10th Mtn and their Malaysian and Pakistani counterparts. I watched your interview (all of the Rangers) but I was touched deeply when you talked about looking out from the vehicle... observing an old man (Somali) carrying a kid on his back and wondering how many of his family were killed.I am Somali, but I want you to know I feel sorry for both sides.... I wasn't sure about your feelings towards Somalis.
-- anonymous
KENI THOMAS: I never have had nor do I have any ill-feelings for the people of Somalia. For the most part even the people we fought are not to blame. Such is the paradox of war. You fight to kill someone you personally have nothing against except that he's trying to kill you. And that makes him the enemy in that situation. I found it touching when one of our Rangers was given a flight back to Mogadishu for a different news show. He was placed face to face in an interview with Osmond Atto who we had captured back in '93. He was Aidid's second in command. And here they were, two men who had once fought to kill eachother, engaged in pleasant and meaningful conversations. It was good to see. "If you befriend your enemies, have you not defeated them?"   Source:    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/ambush/talk/ranger4.html

[ Last edited by  matamata at 19-10-2007 10:07 PM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

2-5-2024 09:35 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.062917 second(s), 30 queries .