Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2012 - 2013

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 10-7-2013 03:01 PM | Show all posts

July 10, 2013

Girls' Generation to Sing National Anthem at Dodgers Stadium

The Chosun Ilbo

From left, Tae-yeon, Tiffany and Sunny

Sunny, Tae-yeon and Tiffany of Girls' Generation will sing Korea's national anthem and make a ceremonial first pitch when the Los Angeles Dodgers meet the Cincinnati Reds at Dodger Stadium on July 28.

This comes as part of an event called "Korea Week," which is being hosted by the Korea Tourism Organization in Los Angeles in cooperation with the Dodgers to capitalize on the success and popularity of pitcher Ryu Hyun-jin and Reds' hitter Choo Shin-soo.

Various activities will take place inside and outside of Dodgers Stadium between July 25 and 28, when the two teams will play each other four times.

The appearance by members of the girl group will wrap things up on July 28, which the KTO is dubbing "Korea Day." Audiences will also be treated to Korea-themed performances and Taekwondo demonstrations. After the game, Ryu and Girls' Generation will be appointed as promotional ambassadors by the KTO.

This is not their first appearance at the stadium. Tiffany threw a ceremonial first pitch for the Dodgers in early May ahead of a game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 10-7-2013 03:02 PM | Show all posts

July 10, 2013

Lee Byung-hun Ripped and Ready to Thrill in 'Red 2'

The Chosun Ilbo

A still from "Red 2" showing heartthrob Lee Byung-hun flashing his six-pack and sculpted physique has been released ahead of the movie's world premiere on July 18.

Lee is said to have worked out religiously and focused on training for his action scenes for over three months after receiving the script in order to fully immerse himself in the role of a killer.

The film revolves around a group of retired CIA agents who reunite after 10 years to destroy a reactivated nuclear device. Lee acts alongside Hollywood stars like Bruce Willis, Catherine Zeta-Jones and John Malkovich.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-7-2013 03:03 PM | Show all posts

July 10, 2013

'Cold Eyes' Smashes 2-Million Mark in First Week

The Chosun Ilbo

"Cold Eyes" hit the 2-million mark in cinema attendance on Tuesday within a week of its release. According to data supplied by the Korean Film Council, the film sold 204,902 tickets on Tuesday alone to sit atop the local box office. The accumulated number of spectators was 2.17 million.

The film has dominated the local box office since its release on July 3, beating Hollywood blockbuster "World War Z." It received much attention for its star-studded cast, including Sol Kyung-gu, Jung Woo-sung and Han Hyo-joo. As Jung plays a villain for the first time in his career, it drew even more attention from fans. The movie revolves around a group of detectives who track down high-profile criminals.

"World War Z" drew 74,181 moviegoers on Tuesday to rank second at the box office, followed by the Korean thriller "Killer Toon" with 32,812 tickets sold.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-7-2013 03:05 PM | Show all posts

July 10, 2013

'Oldboy' Remake to Premiere in October

The Chosun Ilbo

A poster for the U.S. remake of "Oldboy" featuring lead actor Josh Brolin was unveiled on Monday. Spike Lee has stepped into the director's chair to show audiences his take on Park Chan-wook's 2003 thriller.

As Lee suggested his remake will be "even darker" than Park's version, the poster shows Brolin, who assumes the starring role previously inhabited by Choi Min-sik, emerging from a traveling chest -- after spending 20 years locked in a private cell for reasons unknown to him.

Elizabeth Olsen, Samuel Jackson and Sharlto Copley also appear in the film, which will come out in the U.S. in October.

The release date for Korea has not yet been decided.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-7-2013 06:55 PM | Show all posts

July 10, 2013

From Hero close to zero

By Baek Byung-yeul The Korea Times

When Rain entered his compulsory national duty 21 months ago, he was the life of Korea’s "hallyu" party, a K-pop megastar who leveraged his popularity into Hollywood stardom.

Now, for the first time in his illustrious career as an entertainer, he finds himself at a crossroads leaving the military. After wasting an enormous amount of good will on a slew of scandals involving his behavior as a serviceman, Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, may have been irrevocably damaged as a cultural product.

The 31-year-old was officially discharged Wednesday and was greeted by some 700 fans, many from foreign countries, upon his exit from the Ministry of National Defense building in Yongsan, Seoul.

The screams were as loud as jet engines and tears flew like rivers, but Rain didn’t seem to be in a mood to address his fans for a second longer than he absolutely had to.

"Thank you for coming. I will do my best (as an entertainer)," he said, briefly managing a sorrowful smile between the gloom on his face, before hopping into a van and disappearing less than a minute later.

It would have been difficult for him to stay long enough to soak in the cheers when he has become an uncomfortable presence beyond his shrinking circle of fans.

It seemed that Rain, who had been embroiled in a number of scandals related to business investments before he entered the military, was managing to stay out of trouble wearing the uniform. Then he began to shoot himself in the foot repeatedly in 2013.

In January, Rain was caught taking more days off than he was allowed to as he met with his love interest, actress Kim Tae-hee. After being exposed by the media, Rain was placed under probation for seven days.

Then last month, an in-depth news program by SBS television caught singers Seven (Choi Dong-uk) and Sangchoo (Lee Sang-cheol), who were serving in the same unit as Rain, visiting a massage parlor after midnight following a performance at a function in Chuncheon, Gangwon Province, the previous evening.

Rain wasn’t at the parlor, which doubled as a brothel, but drank with Seven and Sangchoo until 10 p.m. the previous night, breaking curfew.

He signed with a new management agency, Cube Entertainment, in May.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-7-2013 01:38 PM | Show all posts
July 10, 2103

Rain quietly finishes military service

BY LEE SUN-MIN Korea JoongAng Daily

Singer Rain, who real name is Jung Ji-hoon, completed his mandatory military duty yesterday after serving for 21 months. About 800 fans, many from around Asia, gathered at the camp gate to cheer the singer and congratulate his discharge.

Even though many Korean celebrities use their discharge from the military to reconnect with fans and promote themselves, Rain just hurried into a vehicle after a few short words.

“Thank you all for coming,” said Rain stiffly. “I’m always thankful and will strive to do my best.”

The brevity and small scale of the event is believed to have stemmed from the controversy caused by fellow celebrity enlistees to the Defense Media Agency, Seven (real name Choi Dong-wook) and Sangchu (Lee Sang-chul), who reportedly drank alcohol and went to a massage parlor late at night on June 21.

The two celebrity soldiers were caught behaving inappropriately after performing at an event marking the 63rd anniversary of the start of the 1950-53 Korean War.

Rain also served with the Defense Media Agency from March 2012. Before that, he had been an assistant drill instructor since enlisting in October 2011.

However, the Ministry of National Defense said last week that Rain was not involved with the other celebrities’ controversy and is not part of the ongoing investigation into his fellow entertainment soldiers.

Around 800 fans gather to see the singer Rain discharged from military duty yesterday, in front of the Ministry of National Defense, in Yongsan, central Seoul. [NEWSIS]

“We understand that Rain didn’t get a chance to eat with his fellow soldiers but ate with other high-level officers and then went to sleep,” said a spokesperson at the Defense Ministry.

“Even if he had some alcoholic beverages during a meal, we have concluded that such would have happened under the surveillance of high-level officers.”

The other two soldiers are still under investigation and the ministry said it has extended the probe, which had been scheduled to be completed last week.

In January, Rain was caught violating military rules, repeatedly meeting his girlfriend, actress Kim Tae-hee, while on duty. Rain was also seen on duty without wearing his military beret.

After he left Yongsan, Rain went straight to a cemetery in Paju, Gyeonggi, where the ashes of his late mother are held in a local columbarium.

An official who accompanied Rain was quoted as saying that Rain spent about 20 minutes praying quietly as if he was talking to his mother.

Rain’s mother passed away in 2000 from complications related to diabetes, because the family was too poor to afford proper treatment.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 11-7-2013 01:40 PM | Show all posts

July 10, 2013

Lee, Jun named Producers’ Choice

By Lee Sun-min Korea JoongAng Daily

Leading actors Lee Byung-hun and Jun Ji-hyun are the winners of this year’s Producers’ Choice Award at the Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival (PiFan), the festival announced yesterday.

The award, given to the top actor and actress of the year, is selected by Korea’s movie producers associations.

Lee, a long-time star around Asia, starred in last year’s “Masquerade,” the fourth-biggest Korean film ever, and is set to appear in the Hollywood action film “Red 2,” which opens here next week.

Jun has similarly been popular around Asia for more than a decade, from “My Sassy Girl” to last year’s hit “The Berlin File,” the biggest-grossing Korean film in history.

“Lee and Jun are two of the best performers of the current generation,” said a PiFan official, according to local media reports. “They have not only shown their acting abilities, but also made movies popular among audiences.”

The two will make an appearance at the red-carpet opening ceremony of the 17th edition of the festival tonight in Bucheon, Gyeonggi.

This year’s PiFan features 230 films from 40 countries, and runs until July 28.

Jun has been making waves recently with rumors that she might be returning to the small screen for the first time in 14 years. Local media say Jun has been offered a part in the new SBS drama “A Man From a Star.”

The new drama, which is scheduled to air beginning in December, is about a man from another planet who has been living in Korea for 400 years, and how he falls in love with a woman in the current time.

In the award’s debut last year, the jury selected actors Ha Jung-woo, also of “The Berlin File” and from “Nameless Gangster,” and Ha Ji-won of “As One” and “The Duelist.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-7-2013 09:42 PM | Show all posts

July 10, 2013

700 fans welcome Rain as civilian

By Julie Jackson The Korea Herald

Around 700 fans from all over the globe including Japan, China, Turkey, Malaysia and the U.S. gathered together in Yongsan, Seoul, on Wednesday morning to welcome back K-pop star Rain during his military discharge ceremony.

“Thank you all for coming,” said Rain. “I will do my best and work hard to show everyone the best side of myself.”

With some fans having waited overnight outside the Defense Ministry gate to catch a glimpse of the star, the entertainer left the base expressing his gratitude to the media and all those who came out that morning. However, many were surprised by his quick exit. Rain kept his discharge speech short and left the scene after only a minute.

While serving nearly two years of his mandatory military service, the singer-actor was involved in his fair share of controversies and scandals concerning his behavior and rule-breaking while on active duty.

Now that Rain has officially completed his duties, he is expected to make a big return under his new agency Cube Entertainment.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 11-7-2013 11:41 PM | Show all posts

July 11, 2013

Ha Jung-woo talks "Terror Live"

Actor Ha Jung-woo poses for the camera at a press conference Wednesday in Mapo District, northwestern Seoul.[NEWSIS]

Actor Ha Jung-woo stares at a press conference Wednesday in Mapo District, northwestern Seoul.[NEWSIS]

Actor Ha Jung-woo speaks while holding a microphone at a press conference Wednesday in Mapo District, northwestern Seoul.[NEWSIS]

Ha Jung-woo, star of “The Berlin File,” smiles while holding a microphone at a press conference Wednesday in Mapo District, northwestern Seoul.[NEWSIS]

Actor Ha Jung-woo of “The Berlin File” will return in a new movie, “The Terror Live,” which is scheduled to be released in local theaters on Aug. 1.

He came to promote the movie at a press conference Wednesday in Mapo District, northwestern Seoul.

“Thanks to the movie, I made a debut as an anchorman,” he said, as he plays a radio broadcaster.

“I was mostly filmed in a limited space [in the radio studio], so I had to think hard to show some detailed varieties of my upper body not to make audiences get bored, as that’s the only angle I get.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-7-2013 03:19 PM | Show all posts
July 12, 2013

Lee Jang-woo Became Actor Due to his Cousin?

KBS Global

Lee Jang-woo revealed the reason he made debut as an actor.

Actor Lee Jang-woo appeared on July 9th broadcast of KBS 2TV "1 vs 100", and participated in the quiz contest as one-man contestant to win 50 million won as prize money.

During the broadcast, Lee revealed that singer and concurrently actor Hwan Hee is his cousin brother.

He said, “As I am the only son, I was grown up together with Hwan Hee. It was wonderful when he rose to the stardom when I was six-grader in the primary school.”  

Lee said, “Because of him, I myself became a celebrity to the people around me. Women gave me many presents for the brother and asked me to transfer them to him.”

He said about the reason he became an actor saying “I myself want to receive spotlight as like him, but I thought I could not surpass the cousin as a singer. So I decided to become an actor and started to play as a supporting actor after passing an audition.”

During the broadcast, Lee Jang Woo also talked about his ideal type to get married.

He said, "I need a lot of energy to go through many shootings, and I hope to meet someone who is a good cook.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-7-2013 03:22 PM | Show all posts

July 12, 2013

Areum's departure raises questions

Netizens raised questions yesterday about an announcement on Wednesday that Areum of the girl group T-ara will no longer be a part of the group after being a member for about a year.

After reading a post that Areum put on her social network service about two weeks ago, fans wonder whether she is stepping down from the team due to any sort of trouble with other members as well as whether the drop-out has been long planned.

“I seriously have nothing more to lose,” she said on her Instagram.

“I’m not even scared of dying either.”

Along with the post, she uploaded a photo of herself wearing a hat that covers one of her eyes.

Such doubts came after former member Hwayoung left the group in August 2012. Rumors at the time said that Hwayoung had been estranged within the group.

However, the group’s agency previously said that Areum wanted to pursue her own music career and that’s why she’s going solo.

“Don’t forget Areum of T-ara, and thank you for the love you have shown me,” said Areum.

“[You] will be able to see a much better and cooler version of Areum, but never forget the performance and the songs I gave as a part of T-ara.”

The group will not have any new members, according to the agency. However, T-ara’s subunit group, T-ara N4, will have a new member named Dani.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-7-2013 03:24 PM | Show all posts

July 12, 2013

Wheesung clears his name

Singer Wheesung cleared his name yesterday after being accused of habitual anesthetic injection.

“The military prosecutor’s office that has been investigating the case had concluded that it is not pressing any charges against Wheesung on Wednesday,” the singer’s lawyer said.

“It has been acknowledged that he got such an anesthetic injection according to doctors’ prescription as he gets treatment for his back pain and hair loss.”

The singer, who is serving his military duty as an assistant drill instructor in Nonsan, South Chungcheong, went through two rounds of investigation in April and May for possible propofol abuse.

Since the beginning of the case, the singer strongly denied that he had abused the substances and only used them for medical purposes.

Wheesung, who began his military service in November 2011, had been receiving rehabilitation treatment as he suffered from habitual dislocation of his shoulder. Because he insisted on serving his military duties at a military base, he started his service, but he collapsed during training in February, which required him to receive further treatment.

He will be discharged from the army on Aug. 6.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-7-2013 03:30 PM | Show all posts

July 12, 2013

Next up? Ball-swatting ape
A roundup of this year’s quirky summer blockbusters that are generating serious buzz

By Yuh Suh-young The Korea Times

A scene from “Mr. Go,’’ a much-anticipated 3D movie based on a 1980s comic about a baseball-playing ape. / Korea Times file

The plot of “Cold Eyes,” a crime thriller that sold more than 2 million tickets a week into its release, revolves around a police investigation unit that tracks criminals.

The emphasis is on the word “track” because this group of gifted weirdoes will find the most elusive wrongdoers and stick to them like bedbugs, only to disengage at the moment when their brawnier colleagues attempt to nab them.

This is a rare action movie that is economic with physical elements and doesn’t get much from its excuse for a mental chess match between the good guys and bad guys.

Instead, the film depends entirely on its smart editing, which rapidly shifts back-and-forth between the special police unit pursuing the bad guys and the tech-savvy bad guys monitoring the police, effectively building up to a dramatic conclusion.

The impressive box office numbers justfiy director Joh Ui-seok’s gamble to focus more on the battles between the eyes than fists.

“Pluto” is a biting commentary on Korea’s notoriously hierarchical education system. / Korea Times file

“Pluto,” which opened Thursday, is another notable experiment.

The subject this time is Korea’s notoriously hierarchical education system, which locks students into exam hell and often pushes them to the edge. The story is about a group of elite high school students who are willing to do anything to improve their chances to get into a top university, even if it means someone has to die.

The title of the movie refers to the talented students who are sidelined from the ruthlessly competitive education system, just like Pluto, which was disqualified by scientists as a planet in 2006 due to its low mass.

Director Shin Su-won, who had been a middle-school teacher for 10 years before pursuing her passion in movie-making, manages to harness just enough of all the craziness to give this movie a level of plausibility and therefore qualifying it as an effective social commentary.

“Cold Eyes” and “Pluto” will be competing with a giant, baseball-playing ape. “Mr. Go,” a three-dimensional (3D) film based on the popular 1980s comic of Huh Young-man, is the story of gorilla Ling Ling, who is signed from China by a sports agent to play for a Korean baseball team. He encounters all sorts of drama after dominating the league of hapless humans.

“Snowpiercer” by director Bong Joon-ho, which will be released in August, is another anticipated Korean movie with a unique plot. The thriller is based on a French graphic novel “Le Transperceneige” by Jacques Lob and Jean-Marc Rochette, but heavily rewritten by director Bong.

The movie is set in the future where a new ice age kills humanity except for people on a train called “Snowpiercer” which circulates around the globe. Gradually, a class struggle erupts between “the poor” living in the back of the train and “the elite” living at the front as the poor progresses to the front.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-7-2013 11:47 PM | Show all posts

July 13, 2013

Jeon Ji-hyun Returns as Most Bankable Advertising Model

The Chosun Ilbo

Is actress Jeon Ji-hyun en route to regaining her position as the most bankable advertising model? It would appear so, in the wake of her resurgent appeal after the box office success of "The Thieves," in which she makes up part of an ensemble cast.

The movie's cult status has dovetailed with Jeon's renascent popularity, and she is now seemingly as hot as she was during the peak of her career in the early 2000s.

The actress is expanding her presence in TV commercials that she previously relinquished to younger celebrities such as actress Kim Tae-hee and figure skater Kim Yu-na.

Jeon has boasted a sophisticated "housewife" image in commercials ranging from makgeolli, or traditional Korean rice wine, to cosmetics, refrigerators and kitchen accessories. It is now easy to spot her on TV promoting such products throughout the day and night.

Jeon wed in April 2012, and advertisers have since become sold on the idea that being married brings her closer to a key target demographic: housewives.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-7-2013 11:48 PM | Show all posts

July 12, 2013

Go A-ra Steps Up Charitable Endeavors to Help Kids

The Chosun Ilbo

Go A-ra /News 1 Go A-ra /News 1

Actress Go A-ra was appointed a promotional ambassador for Good Neighbors, an international humanitarian and development non-governmental organization, at an event held at its headquarters in Yongsan, Seoul on Thursday.

While talking about her volunteer work, Go burst into tears at the memory of the children she encountered in Rwanda in September. Go took care of two kids, one of whom had a large tumor on his face, while the other could barely walk due to a parasitic infection.

The actress has been working to help African children by appearing in an advertisement to raise awareness of their poor living conditions. In May, she took part in a program to help abused children in Korea.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-7-2013 01:02 AM | Show all posts

July 15, 2013

Lee Byung Hun appears at 'Red 2' premier

Actor Lee Byung-hun poses on the red carpet Thursday at the premiere of “Red 2” at the Westwood Theater in Los Angeles.[JoongAng Ilbo]

Actor Lee Byung-hun of “Red 2” went to the Westwood Theater in Los Angeles on Thursday to attend the premier of his third Hollywood film, “Red 2,” there.

He was photographed with fellow actors and actresses at the premier and then had several interviews with local media there.

Also, world star Psy made a surprising visit to the event showcasing his friendship with the actor.

Actor Lee Byung-hun, right, poses with Psy at the premiere of “Red 2” at the Westwood Theater in Los Angeles.[JoongAng Ilbo]

Actor Lee Byung-hun talks to local media at the premiere of “Red 2” at the Westwood Theater in Los Angeles.[JoongAng Ilbo]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 16-7-2013 01:04 AM | Show all posts

July 15, 2013

Uhm Ji-won, architect are dating

Actress Uhm Ji-won of the JTBC drama “Childless Comfort” is dating architect Oh Young-uk, Uhm’s agency confirmed after local media reported on the possible relationship.

“The two started dating after [their] acquaintances introduced one another in the end of last year,” an official at Chaeum Entertainment said yesterday to Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily.

“They go to church together on the weekends and grow their love based on their religion.”

Before this relationship was confirmed, Uhm was rumored to be getting married soon as she caught the bouquet at the wedding of actress Han Hye-jin of the SBS talk show “Healing Camp” and footballer Ki Sung-yeung earlier this month.

Her agency said that she doesn’t have a wedding plan yet.

The boyfriend is also not so unfamiliar to the public, as he has published multiple essays he wrote during his travels across Spain. He also recently published another book, “Proposal” last month.

Given the title of the book, many are speculating whether the publication is Oh’s way of proposing to Uhm and wedding bells might be imminent.

Uhm, who made her acting debut in 2002, recently completed filming a movie named “Wish.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-7-2013 01:08 AM | Show all posts

July 15, 2013

Ha back with deskbound thriller
'.. there was a rough side to the character - a roughneck can be a newscaster, too'

BY CARLA SUNWOO Korea JoongAng Daily

Ha Jung-woo is back on the big screen. The star of last year’s hit action film “The Berlin File” will take on another thriller, this time in “The Terror Live,” directed by first-time feature film director Kim Byung-woo.

As the title suggests, the subject matter is terrorism, and the trailer has attracted plenty of attention for its explosive attack on the Mapo Bridge.

But, unlike in his previous films, this time around Ha does most of his action while sitting down, as he plays a panicked radio host who broadcasts a live phone conversation with the terrorist.

With less than a month until the film’s release, Ha took the time to talk about “The Terror Live,” which will see him play one of his most serious characters yet.

Q. What is so intriguing about this work?

A. The fact that there is just one lead from start to end was new, and despite this, the scenario was entertaining. I wondered how it would be possible to film it, but as I worked on it, I realized that the scenario was really quality stuff.

Were there any challenges that came with filming a movie where most of the scenes are of a studio?

The movie goes by in chapters lasting from five to 12 minutes each. We recorded each chapter without stopping, so we had to tackle it like a play rather than a movie. It had to flow and you had to know your material well. We wanted viewers to not be bored as 95 percent of the movie was me sitting at a desk. It was frustrating, to be confined to one space from start to end. It was just [me] speaking nonstop. The amount of script was insane. The only way was to learn my lines, again and again.

On your commute to the set, you must have travelled on the Mapo Bridge, which of course gets blown up. Was it strange driving on it?

Sure, but not to an unusual degree. I’d be travelling on it and think “Oh, this is that bridge.”

You’ve played a lot of tough guys before. Playing an anchorman must have been a new thing. What was your first thought upon landing the lead?

I thought “Wow, I’ll be speaking in a Seoul dialect for the first time in a long time.” But then I was burdened by the amount of it all.

Also, playing an anchorman, as I was speaking I’d ponder over whether a word was the right one, and so on. Plus, there was still a rough side to the character - a roughneck can be a newscaster, too.

What were your initial thoughts about working with Kim, who of course is a newcomer compared to you.

Even before filming I went down to the location for a month to prepare, because I thought I had to soak up as much as I could.

When I met Kim he handed me a graph depicting a character’s emotions. When I saw it, I realized it was going to be intense and knew it would be a great film. I felt like I could trust him.

You are famous for your trademark eating scenes. Can we expect some comical moments of you eating in this movie?

In this film, sitting at the desk I consumed a lot of tea and water.

Because of the pace of the plot, we couldn’t really slot in an eating scene. At first we did plan for some sandwich and gimbap scenes, but we couldn’t really fit it in. I know that it is an element of my acting that viewers look forward to and I’m grateful for that, but because it broke the rhythm of the film, we had to be mindful of that.

You are up against some stiff competition with some major Korean films coming out next month. How do you feel about your competitors?

I like and respect director Bong Joon-ho [“Snowpiercer”] and would like to work with him at some point. Kim Yong-hwa [“Mr. Go”] I’ve worked with on “Take Off” and we’ve remained close. Then there’s my film, which stars just me. We are all paving the way for Korean cinema and I hope we will all at least break even and be rewarded for our hard work.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-7-2013 12:54 PM | Show all posts

July 16, 2013

Uhm Ji-won Dating Architect

The Chosun Ilbo

Uhm Ji-won (left) and Oh Young-wook Uhm Ji-won (left) and Oh Young-wook

Actress Uhm Ji-won is in a romantic relationship with architect Oh Young-wook.

"The two met through a mutual friend and recently started dating," her agency Chaeum Entertainment said on Monday. "They don't have any specific plans" to get married.

When Uhm caught the bridal bouquet at actress Han Hye-jin and footballer Ki Sung-yueng's wedding on July 1, she said, "I caught the bouquet just because I'm her friend. It doesn't mean anything."

Uhm (36) has appeared in various soaps and films since she debuted in an MBC series in 2002.

Oh (37) graduated from the architectural engineering department of Yonsei University, and runs Ogisa Design. He is also known as a travel writer.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 16-7-2013 12:59 PM | Show all posts

July 16, 2013

Sci-fi film 'Snowpiercer' sold to 167 countries before release

YonhapNews

SEOUL, July 16 (Yonhap) -- South Korean filmmaker Bong Joon-ho's English debut film has set a pre-sales record for a Korean film, the movie's local distributor said Tuesday.

"Snowpiercer," the post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie set on a massive train traveling around a frozen world, has been exported to 167 countries before its release in August, CJ Entertainment said.

Wildside, a French distributor, has recently secured distribution rights in France, East Europe and South America while the English-language rights went to The Weinstein Company, a major U.S. distributor, last year, CJ said.

The movie stars top Korean actor Song Kang-ho alongside Hollywood players Chris Evans from "The Avengers," Ed Harris, Octavia Spencer from "The Help," and Jamie Bell and Tilda Swinton, both British. Bong and the American screenwriter Kelly Masterson wrote the screenplay based on the graphic novel "Le Transperceneige."

The US$40 million project is scheduled to hold a world premier in Seoul on July 29 where some of its American stars will attend, according to CJ. The film is set to open in local theaters on Aug. 1, but no dates have been set for its release in foreign countries.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

18-5-2024 05:57 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.258605 second(s), 41 queries .