ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2012 - 2013

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 2-7-2012 08:37 PM | Show all posts
July 2, 2012

Ji Hyun-woo delays military service
By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

Actor Ji Hyun-woo has postponed entering the Army due to a back and chin injury sustained while filming his last drama, “Queen In-hyun’s Man.”

Ji’s agency told local media on Sunday that the 27-year-old, who was scheduled to be conscripted today, will enter military service no later than early August.

“We submitted the request to the Military Manpower Administration on June 28 and was granted the postponement until he receives the medical attention needed,” said a spokesperson from Ji’s agency.

Ji is set to be an active-duty soldier, which means he’ll have to enter training no later than August.

The star’s agency explained that the injury sustained by the actor took place while Ji shot scenes on horseback for the drama in which he also found love with his co-star Yoo In-na.

The agency denied rumors that Ji postponed his military service to take part in overseas promotion for the drama.

“It’s true that they recently sold the drama to NKH TV in Japan but Ji won’t be promoting it over there.”

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 2-7-2012 08:45 PM | Show all posts
July 2, 2012

New medical drama 'cheery' and 'goofy'?
By Jean Oh The Korea Herald

‘Pasta’ actor Lee Sun-gyun describes new role as ‘free-spirited’ hospital intern

The medical drama is a tough genre to pull off successfully.

The series needs to be real, but not too gory, humane, but not too sappy, and chock full of likeable characters.

The plot has to have enough believability to keep viewers from having difficulty buying into it.

It’s no cakewalk, which is why it is fascinating to see directors, scriptwriters and thespians tackle the genre over and over again.

MBC’s latest stab at the genre, “Golden Time,” is looking to refresh audiences with “bright,” “cheery” and “goofy” characters in an ER-setting.

“Pasta” actor Lee Sun-gyun, who plays a jaded intern in the series, said at the drama’s press conference in Seoul on Monday, “My character is very free-spirited and goofy.”

“I’m having a good time playing him,” the 37-year old actor added.

Of his decision to cast “High Kick 2” actress Hwang Jung-eum in the role of a medical intern, “Golden Time” director Kwon Seok-jang said, “I wanted a character who gave a bright and cheery facet to the series and Hwang Jung-eum had that.”

The cast of MBC’s “Golden Time” ― (from left to right) Song Sun-mi, Lee Sun-gyun, Hwang Jung-eum, Lee Sung-min ― attend the drama’s press conference in Seoul, Monday. (Kim Myung-sub/The Korea Herald)

“That sort of bright and silly quality gives elasticity to the drama,” Kwon added, referring to Hwang’s role as an upbeat intern who learns about the harsh realities and responsibilities that come with being a doctor.

Hwang, who rose to fame as a cute and girly tutor in MBC’s “High Kick 2,” said something along the same lines when describing her character, adding that the heroine she plays is “very passionate.”

Certainly, Hwang and Lee play a large role in adding a bubbly, slightly offbeat vibe to the series, but it is director Kwon who will prove crucial to spinning out a drama that has both feather-light, slightly comedic moments and intense, serious moments as well.

Though Kwon is known for romantic comedies like MBC’s sleeper hit “Pasta” and the less-successful “My Princess,” he does not put out slow-paced fare, according to Lee.

Lee, who worked with Kwon on “Pasta,” said, “I have worked with the director on ‘Pasta’ before and his dramas have this tempo, a tempo that is faster than the average drama. Given that this is a medical drama, I think the tempo is several times faster than the standard series.”

With MBC’s track record of popular medical dramas like “White Tower” and “New Heart,” it should come as no surprise that the broadcaster is returning to the genre.

The plot of the series, “Golden Time,” rides primarily on its two leads, Lee Sun-gyun and Hwang Jung-eum.

Lee plays an intern who wanted it easy and is jolted out of apathy when a traumatic incident forces him to rethink why he wanted to be a doctor in the first place.

Hwang plays an intern whose initial dream is to become a housewife with a part-time job until she slowly discovers that her real passion lies in the realm of medicine.

The whole process of awakening from a moment of jaded apathy or lack of self-awareness is nothing viewers have not seen before.

What will matter is how compelling Lee and Hwang will be at fully realizing their characters’ internal dilemmas and moments of enlightenment onscreen, and how well director Kwon will helm a drama that should have audiences gripping at the edge of their seats, cheering those doctors on.

“Golden Time” starts airing July 9 on MBC on Monday and Tuesday nights at 9:55 p.m.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-7-2012 11:32 AM | Show all posts
July 3, 2012

Stamps to feature Girls' Generation
Yonhap News

SEOUL, July 3 (Yonhap) -- The leading K-pop girl group Girls' Generation will be honored with postage stamps, the group's entertainment agency said Tuesday.

Korea Post will issue a set of postage stamps featuring the group early next month to mark its 5th anniversary, S.M. Entertainment said.

The girls will be the first celebrities to be on stamps issued by Korea Post, it added.

The set is composed of 14 stamps, including nine featuring images of each member contained in their third full-length album titled "The Boys" and of their handwritten signatures, according to the agency.

The stamp set, which is priced at 20,000 won (US$17), is scheduled to go on sale at some 50 postal offices across the country in early August.

"We expect the Girls' Generation stamps will greatly contribute to developing the culture of postal stamps and spreading the boom of Korean pop culture," Kim Tae-wan, an official at Korea Post, said.

The popularity of Korean culture, known as "hallyu" in Korean, meaning the Korean wave, has been strong mainly in other Asian nations, including Japan, China and Taiwan, but spread to Europe and North and South American countries last year.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-7-2012 11:29 PM | Show all posts
July 3, 2012

Hallyu star Kim Bum picked for Chinese clothing line
By Elli Park, intern reporter Korea JoongAng Daily

Actor Kim Bum was chosen as the new face of Chinese clothing brand Eichitoo, once again proving his popularity in China.

At the photo shoot, Kim collaborated with the renowned Chinese actress Lin Yi Chen to express the brand’s modern, urban style.

A spokesperson from the company said “Kim’s perfect acting and looks in the past got the love of many Chinese fans. He is the new rising star in China’s commercial industry; he had a successful photo shoot for Eichitoo, as expected.”

Kim’s popularity is rocketing in China; the star has starred in advertisements for numerous clothing and cosmetic lines and magazines in the country.

Recently, Kim successfully released his first album, “Home Town,” in Japan last month.

Meanwhile, Kim will make a return to the big screen with the movie “Miracle,” in theaters later this year.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-7-2012 11:33 PM | Show all posts
July 3, 2012

Ko So-young is "cool" with her husband's kiss scenes

Actress Ko So-young showed her professional side by remaining nonchalant about her husband’s steamy kiss scenes in the current drama “A Gentleman’s Dignity.”

From June 30, the show took a new turn as the main character played by Ko’s husband Jang Dong-gun officially began dating Kim Ha-neul’s character.

There was a passionate kiss scene that stole the hearts of the audience and despite expressing her qualms earlier about Jang taking part in the drama, Ko reportedly told her husband that she enjoyed the episode.

“I enjoyed it,” Ko said to Jang, according to Ilgan Sports.

Meanwhile, at a press conference for the show earlier, it was said that Ko didn’t want Jang to take part in the drama “because it’s written by Kim Eun-sook who always writes stories with a lot of kiss scenes.”

Allegedly, the staff fooled Ko by telling her that there’d be no steamy moments in order to get Jang to sign the contract.

The show starring the Hallyu actor is the most watched weekend program at the moment.

Ko is also set to appear on SBS’s “Healing Camp” on July 9, which will mark her first talk show since marrying Jang in more than two years.

On the highly anticipated show, Ko is set to shed a few tears and talk about how she met and fell for the Hallyu star as well as reveal details about the couple’s high-profile marriage.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-7-2012 11:39 PM | Show all posts
July 3, 2012

Lee Honey's scandal turns out to be false

Actress Lee Honey denied the report that she is in a relationship, on July 3.

Earlier in the day, a source reported that “Lee has been dating an older boyfriend since 2010, and the couple travels abroad on trips together.”

“Rumor that Lee is currently dating is far from true,” said a spokesperson from Lee’s agency.

“Lee’s recent trip was with a female colleague, not a boyfriend; we don’t understand why the scandal broke out, as Lee clarified her position yesterday at an interview,” added the agency.

The scandal claimed that Lee’s older boyfriend works at a foreign advertising company and that the two have been dating for two years already.

Lee, who made her debut as Miss Korea 2006, has starred in dramas such as “Pasta”, “Iron Daughter-in-Law” and “Immortal Masterpiece.” Moreover, the movie “Yeongasi,” starring Lee, premieres July 3.

Meanwhile, Lee had previously received criticism for eating meat as a vegetarian. However, the controversy was ultimately disproved.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 3-7-2012 11:41 PM | Show all posts
July 3, 2012

Seo Do-young prepares for a wedding later this year

Sports Donga reported on July 3 that actor Seo Do-young, 31, will walk down the aisle this winter.

According to the report, Seo started dating his fiancée at the start of 2011 and first brought up the idea of marriage earlier this year.

“The exact date for the wedding hasn’t yet been set, but the two are planning to tie the knot during the coming winter,” a source close to the couple said.

The couple frequently travels together, much to the envy of Seo’s friends, acquaintances said.

Seo’s most recent performance was in the KBS drama “Only You,” which aired until May.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-7-2012 11:46 PM | Show all posts
July 3, 2012

Shin Se-kyung interviews herself for an exhausted reporter
By Elli Park, intern reporter [url=http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsm ... le.aspx?aid=2955513]Korea JoongAng Daily[/url]

In a segment titled “Today E! Reporters” on the June 25 episode of tvN’s “ENews,” entertainment reporters revealed stories behind their hard work.

As the reporters featured on the program shared episodes of their interviews with celebrities, reporter Park Hyun-min confessed his experience with actress Shin Se-kyung.

“There was one time when, being exhausted, I dosed off during an interview with Shin. She probably felt bad for me, so she asked for my interview questions and the voice recorder and told me to take a nap,” Kim said.

“At the end, Shin had to ask and answer the interview questions herself,” Kim added, praising the star for the kind gesture.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 3-7-2012 11:49 PM | Show all posts
July 3, 2012

'90s star Lee Bon returns to television

Sexy ’90s star Lee Bon is set to make a comeback to television after a 14-year hiatus.

A representative from KBS 2TV’s new sitcom “Shut Up Family” said yesterday that Lee will take part in the program, marking her first starring role on a television show since “Pure” back in 1998.

“She’s as beautiful as ever and is set to bring her unique personality and charisma that charmed viewers back in the ’90s,” said a spokesperson from the show, who added that they were expecting great success thanks to Lee’s eagerly awaited comeback.

The sitcom is based on a single mother with seemingly perfect kids who falls for a single father with kids who are a handful.

Lee will play the role of an aunt on the mom’s side of the family.

Sistar’s Dasom is also set to star in the comedy show, which is set to broadcast from next month.

Despite the fact that the 39-year-old actor has been absent from dramas, she has hosted the ’90s music show “Comeback Show Top 10.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-7-2012 12:13 AM | Show all posts
July 3, 2012

Put a Girls' Generation stamp on it

Korea Post announced yesterday that stamps featuring members of Girls’ Generation will go on sale nationwide from early next month.

The limited-edition stamps come complete with the girls’ autographs and were created to mark the girl group’s fifth year since debuting. They consist of images from the band’s third album, “The Boys.”

There are 14 different stamps on one sheet: five of the band collectively and nine of each individual member.

Sets cost 20,000 won ($17.50) for one page and will go on sale at some 50 post offices nationwide as well as going on display at the Korea Philatelic Exhibition to be held at COEX, southern Seoul, from Aug. 9 to 13.

The Hallyu group’s fame is skyrocketing in many parts of the world.

Just one day after releasing the Japanese single “Paparazzi,” the band landed second on Oricon’s daily chart on June 26. More than 42,525 copies of the new EP, which is being described as somewhat different from the band’s previous hits, were sold in less than 24 hours.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-7-2012 01:17 AM | Show all posts
July 4, 2012

Kim Ji-woon talks Arnold, Hollywood debut film
By Lee Kyeong-min Korea JoongAng Daily

Director Kim Ji-woon makes his Hollywood debut with action film “Last Stand.” [JoongAng Ilbo]

LOS ANGELES - Film director Kim Ji-woon, 48, is often dubbed a “cinematic stylist” in the Korean film industry. With a filmography that spans a variety of genres, from the horror film “A Tale of Two Sisters” (2003) to noir film “A Bittersweet Life” (2005) to the Korean spaghetti western “The Good, the Bad, the Weird” (2008), Kim has shown the Korean public a versatility as an auteur and a talent for stylish cinematography.

With his latest film, “Last Stand,” to come out early next year, Kim makes his foray into Hollywood. The action film, distributed by Lionsgate with a $50 million budget, has also grabbed headlines as the comeback film for actor and former governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger.

In “Last Stand,” Schwarzenegger plays Ray Owens, who leaves the Los Angeles Police Department after an unsavory operation and becomes a sheriff in a small border town in New Mexico. The film follows the action-packed chase between the police and a notorious drug baron and his gang, who try to cross the U.S. border. The JoongAng Ilbo met with Kim in Los Angeles during final production for the film.

Q. Can you describe what it’s like shooting your first Hollywood film?

A. Hollywood has wanted new blood to inject a fresh take on films for a while now. Making it to Hollywood was not necessarily my goal as a director, but somehow I got here doing something I like. But I don’t think of my role here as a representative of Korea. I just want to give the audience a chance to enjoy a film that speaks of a universal experience.

The film feels almost like a western.

The plot revolves around ordinary people along the U.S.-Mexico border who risk their lives to fight off a strong enemy. It’s a character-based action film. I think that the film’s lighthearted spectacle can be enjoyed in the same way as “The Good, the Bad, the Weird.”

“Last Stand” has already created a lot of buzz.

Maybe it’s because it’s an entertaining, commercial film. I like the fact that it’s a commercial action film that deals with ordinary, universal situations.

Arnold Schwarzenegger, center right, poses with fellow cast members on the set of “Last Stand.”

How was it working with Schwarzenegger and the rest of the cast?

Schwarzenegger is always full of energy. He is a diligent and smart actor. Regardless of the nationality, I felt lucky to be working with good actors and being able to achieve an end result with them. I also realized that there is something that reaches beyond language in the art of cinema.

Did you have any trouble communicating?

There are a lot of talented experts in Hollywood and they have a logical, scientific system. I don’t expect to have an emotional bond here like I do in Korea. In Korea, the filmmaking process is centered on the director, but not in Hollywood. You need to constantly request things and appeal to those you work with. I felt the need to form my own logic in how to persuade others.

You must have been lonely in Hollywood.

I found I was just another foreign worker here. [Laughs] I don’t have a lot of friends here and all I did was work, so in a way, I felt empathy toward foreign workers. I felt myself getting stronger when I set the goal for myself not to give up and to endure this loneliness. I liked the fact that here I had more time to read books and think more.

You must feel a mix of a sense of accomplishment as well as anxiety.

I feel the same way as when I debuted in Korea. Like then, it’s difficult and I feel nervous about my debut. Also, I feel pleasure in the fact that I was able to make a film with top actors in Hollywood, the center of the global film industry.

You’ve made noir, action, thriller and even horror films. What’s next?

When I finished shooting the crime thriller “I Saw the Devil” (2010), I spent a lot of time just thinking. After a lonely year in the U.S., I thought a lot about love. Maybe that’s why, but I think I’ve changed a lot. I now like beautiful melodramas rather than cruel ones.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-7-2012 09:36 PM | Show all posts
July 4, 2012

Song Seung-hun sings for "Time Slip Dr. Jin" OST

Hallyu star Song Seung-hun is featured singing on the OST for his current drama “Time Slip Dr. Jin.”

According to a spokesperson from the drama, Song sang the theme song for his character Jin Hyuk titled “Last Love.”

The track will be released on online music Web sites at midnight, July 6.

“Song completed the recording even throughout his busy schedule. Thankfully, his sweet voice came in great harmony with the soundtrack,” added the source.

“Time Slip Dr. Jin,” a story of a time-traveling doctor from the 21st century to the Joseon Dynasty, airs Saturday and Sunday on MBC.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-7-2012 09:41 PM | Show all posts
July 4, 2012

Jung Yong-hwa to make cameo appearance in 'A Gentleman's Dignity'

CN Blue’s leader Jung Yong-hwa is set to make a cameo appearance on “A Gentleman’s Dignity.” The episode featuring Jung’s stint will air on July 7, on the show’s 13th episode.

Filming for Jung’s scene in the show dubbed “The Korean Male Version of Sex and the City” took place at an Italian restaurant in Ilsan on July 3.
The scene was made up of interaction between the boy band member and the show’s leading man and woman Jang Dong-gun and Kim Ha-neul. Those on set said the three got on great, and overall Jung had a great time too.

“It’s such an honor to take part in such a great piece of work. I also enjoyed working with entertainers whom I’ve always looked up to,” said Jung upon filming.
Jung was asked to take part in the show by the program’s writer Kim Eun-sook.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-7-2012 10:34 PM | Show all posts
July 4, 2012

ChosunIlbo

Actors Lim Soo-jung (left) and Lee Byung-hun speak after being named promotional ambassadors for the 2012 Gwangju Biennale on Tuesday. /Yonhap

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2012 01:07 PM | Show all posts
July 4, 2012

Actress Kim Min-seo pickpocketed

Actress Kim Min-seo used her Twitter account to vent her fury and anguish at being pickpocketed yesterday.

“I was walking down the street when it happened. I saw the bike getting further away from me and kept screaming and crying. Then, I went to the police station,” said Kim, adding that she was physically unscathed.

“I know I should be grateful that I wasn’t injured, but I’m still devastated. I need consolation .?.?. oh my iPhone,” Kim vented.

The shocking post grabbed the attention of netizens. “I hope they catch the guy,” one follower said.

Kim rose to fame by starring in the hit MBC drama “The Moon that Embraces the Sun” alongside Kim Soo-hyun and Han Ga-in.

She played the queen to Kim’s king and won the sympathy of the public by portraying the role of a spouse who failed to win the love of her husband. The show began airing in January and came to an end in March.

Kim made her debut back in 2008 through the SBS drama “I Love You.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2012 01:13 PM | Show all posts
July 5, 2012

'Lost' Star Daniel Dae Kim Meets Fans in Yeosu
ChosunIlbo

Star of the hit TV series "Lost" on ABC, Daniel Dae Kim visited Korea as a cultural ambassador for the U.S. Pavilion at the Yeosu Expo. Even though he claims to speak Korean poorly, Kim greeted his fans with a fluent accent, unlike the character he portrayed in the TV series that ran from 2004 to 2010.

Kim was born in the southern port city of Busan and immigrated to the U.S. at the age of two. He debuted in Hollywood playing a bit part in the 1991 movie "American Shaolin" and went on to play minor roles in other movies and TV dramas.

He got his big break playing the husband of Korean actress Kim Yun-jin in "Lost" for six seasons. He is now playing one of the main characters in the remake of the hit 1960s and 70s TV show "Hawaii Five-0" on CBS.

Kim recalled that he was able to perform on the global stage for the first time in his 20-year acting career due to "Lost." "It's also because of 'Lost' that I got a chance to star in 'Hawaii Five-0,'" he added.

Kim is considered one of the most successful Korean-American actors in the U.S. But he said it was tough for him in the beginning.

He said most writers did not have Asian actors in mind when they penned scripts, so it was tough to pass auditions. When they were looking to fill Asian parts, it was still grueling because he had to compete with a multitude of Asian and Asian-American actors.

He said this heavy competition and lack of demand explains the scarcity of lead roles for Korean-American actors, with Steven Yeun in "Walking Dead" and Aaron Yoo in "Disturbia" serving as the exceptions rather than the rule.

"There are no borders when it comes to talent, so Korean filmmakers will create completely new movies that show a Korean perspective on things," Kim said, referring to Park Chan-wook directing the upcoming Hollywood film "Stoker," and Bong Joon-ho directing "Snow Piercer."

He said he enjoyed watching the Korean TV dramas "Winter Sonata" and "My Name is Kim Sam-soon," while his favorite Korean movie is Park's revenge trilogy, including "Oldboy."

Kim plans to serve as a promotional ambassador for the Special Olympics. He said he became interested in the Special Olympics and was recently offered a position working as a promotional ambassador for the event. He expects to have his work cut out for him when Korea hosts the competition in Pyeongchang in 2013.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 5-7-2012 01:32 PM | Show all posts
July 4, 2012

Park Chan-wook: Director with blood-coated lens
By Andrew Salmon The Korea Times

Director Park Chan-wook, left, waves as he is awarded with actor Choi Min-shik for the grand prix for the film “Old Boy” during the award ceremony of the 57th Cannes
Film Festival in Cannes on May 24, 2004. / Korea Times file

Tension and violence sell, but this may not be apparent to the vast majority of fans of “hallyu,” the much-discussed “Korean Wave” of pop culture that has swept outward from the shores of the peninsula since, roughly, the turn of the millennium.

The two standout genres of hallyu, in sales terms, are clearly K-pop and K-soaps. Of the former, Korean management companies have come up with a winning formula, churning out a range of cute, well-trained and above all wholesome boy- and girl-bands whose appeal is very different from the rebellious, opinionated, drug-spattered figures who stagger across the stage of Western rock ‘n roll. Soap is similarly sugar-coated: Most dramas are centered upon pretty boys and pretty girls in pretty clothes and pretty houses/landscapes engaging in genteel, “no-sex-please-we’re-Korean” romances.

Clearly these two genres speak to Asians: Hallyu has generated a massive wave of positive equity for Korea’s national brand across the continent, making Korea (arguably) the coolest country in the region.

But ― despite hopeful hype in the vernacular media to the contrary ― neither has won significant critical or commercial success in the West. To date, Korean pop artists have had no more luck scoring Billboard Chart hits in the United States than Korean soap operas have had in winning prime-time television viewing slots from Western Europe broadcasters.

However, the third arm of hallyu ― Korean film ― is on the cutting edge. Unrestrained by the fluffy-but-strict parameters that cage K-pop and K-soaps, new-generation Korean cinema has had no qualms in presenting spectacles that challenge audiences, embrace risks and shatter taboos.

As such, contemporary Korean film has taken on everything from shadowy Cold War bloodbaths (“Silmido;” Director Kang Woo-suk, 2003) to social critiques wrapped around man-eating monster yarns (“The Host;” Director Bong Joon-ho, 2006); from sizzling serial killer thrillers (“Chaser;” Director Na Hong-jin, 2008) to Korean War blockbusters (“Brotherhood of War;” Director Kang Jae-kyu, 2004); from zany action adventures (“The Good, The Bad and the Weird” Director Kim Ji-won, 2008) to harrowing real-life crime dramas (“The Crucible;” Hwang Dong-hyuk; 2011).

Of the new generation of Korea auteur, none is more avant garde in his mastery of the cinema of tension and violence than Park Chan-wook. Park’s “Vengeance” trilogy has done what no K-popster or K-soap has yet managed to do: Break beyond Asia and win both critical and popular acclaim among Western audiences.

Park was born in Seoul in 1963. While a philosophy major at Sogang University, he ran a cinema club and wrote on film. After graduating, he entered the industry, working as an assistant director, before moved up to direct his first feature, “The Moon is the Sun’s Dream” in 1992, followed by “Trio” in 1997. Neither made enough of a splash to permit him to make a full-time living as a director, forcing him to write as a film critic to make ends meet. His next feature would change that, dramatically.

“JSA” (“Joint Security Area”) exploded across screens in 2000. Released at the height of hopes for President Kim Dae-jung’s bold and unprecedented “Sunshine Policy” of engagement with North Korea, it was perfectly positioned to capture the zeitgeist. In common with the previous year’s North-South auctioneer “Shiri” it did indeed, portray what had been rarely seen before on Korea screens: Well-defined and sympathetic North Korean characters.

That, however, did not explain “JSA’s” success. Based on a novel, it was a tautly plotted thriller about two pairs of South and North Korean soldiers who, stationed near the infamous JSA, the tense truce area in the middle of the demilitarized zone between the two nations, forge a dangerous amity. Working via a non-linear storyline, the film brilliantly blends the pathos of characters from a divided nation becoming acquainted with a mounting tension as their forbidden friendship spawns its inevitable tragic consequences.

The success of “JSA” ― it was, at the time, Korea’s biggest ever box-office hit ― granted Park considerable artistic freedom for his next project. “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance” (2002) was a very different film from “JSA.”

Starting with a laid-off man attempting to obtain a kidney transplant for his terminally ill sister, it careens off into left field with organ trading gangs, kidnapping and terrorism. Stunningly shot, gruesomely violent and spiked with moral conundrums ― Do evil means justify good ends? ― it was a hit in Korea but only gained niche visibility in the United States.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2012 01:32 PM | Show all posts
Park’s international profile would soar with his next film, “Old Boy.” Based on a Japanese manga (comic book), the central idea of this 2003 film is compelling in its simplicity: A man is locked up in a shoddy motel room for 15 years with no idea why. When he is suddenly released, with no explanation, he swears to track down his tormentors and deliver bloody vengeance. Noted for both its action set pieces and a brilliant central performance by Choi Min-sik, it was voted by CNN viewers one of “The Ten Best Asian Films of All Time;” the BBC called it “a sadistic masterpiece.” Its greatest tribute, however, came from the enfant terrible of action cinema himself.

American filmmaker Quentin Tarantino had been deeply impressed by “JSA” and was blown away by “Old Boy,” a film closer to his own oeuvre in both style and subject matter. As the head of the Cannes Film Festival Judging Panel in 2004, he reportedly lobbied for “Old Boy” to win the Palm D’Or, the festival’s top prize; it eventually won the Grand Prix, the number two gong, that year. An American remake is reportedly in the works; Spike Lee has been named as a possible director.

Park obviously had a winning formula. He topped off “Old Boy” with the third film in his loose “Vengeance Trilogy,” 2005’s “Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.” This featured a kind-hearted and beautiful young woman leaving prison after being unjustly jailed for a murder she did not commit and dedicating herself to tracking down the real killer. In what was, perhaps, an effort to top the shock grade of his earlier films, Park makes the villain in this one (Choi Min-sik, the wild-looking protagonist from “Old Boy”) a child murderer and producer of snuff films.

Like its predecessors, “Sympathy” was beautifully, if gruesomely framed and filmed. While acknowledging the vengeful emotion many parents of murdered children may feel, “Sympathy’s” dark climax has a strong suggestion of Nietzche (“He who fights demons must beware, lest he thereby becomes a demon himself”). The film netted three awards at the Venice International Film Festival in 2005, and Park was invited to join that festival’s jury the following year.

“Old Boy” created an audience for both its prequel and its sequel; the three films have since been released internationally in a boxed set, and are frequently discussed together. Some may recoil from their graphic sadism, but their ferocious power is undeniable, and what raises the “Vengeance” trilogy beyond those of most contemporary auctioneers is that Park acknowledges and shows the results of violence, rather than using it simply as a cinematic device to leverage excitement.

Since “Sympathy,” Park has made a range of award-winning films. His “I’m A Cyborg, But That’s OK,” a quirky romantic comedy set in a mental institution, won the Alfred Bauer Price at the Berlin Film Festival in 2007; his vampire film, “Thirst” won the Jury Prize at Cannes in 2009; and his horror short “Night Fishing” (2011) - shot entirely on an I-phone ― won the Golden Bear award in Berlin in 2011 for Best Short Film. For his latest project, Park has looked further afield.

Korean actors Rain, Lee Byung-hoon and Jang Dong-gun have all fared far less well in Hollywood than in Chungmuro. In 2011, Park ― who, among all Asian directors, has name value thanks to “Old Boy” ― dipped his toe into American waters with his English-language debut. “Stoker” a horror movie starring Nichole Kidman, is reportedly in post production. How it fares remains to be seen, but if Park seizes full artistic license and overcomes Hollywood convention, the film will no doubt be fascinating.

Speaking more generally, Park has continued to make interesting, quality films, but thus far, none of his subsequent works have managed to re-capture the Hitchkokian tension that animates “JSA,” nor generated the shockwaves that his “Vengeance Trilogy” spread worldwide.

While members of Korea’s fine arts community may well question whether blood-spattered revenge flicks are in any way an appropriate representative of modern Korean art, there can be no question of Park’s global influence any more than they can be of the perplexing popularity of violent films. “Old Boy,” ― and to a lesser extent, the other two movies in the trilogy ― are firmly embedded in the cult of noir cinema worldwide.

That ― plus the international honors showered upon him ― makes Park one of the most influential and iconic Korean artists of our time.

Andrew Salmon is a reporter and the author of three works on modern Korean history ― “U.S. Business and the Korean Miracle: U.S. Enterprises in Korea, 1866 — the Present,” “To the Last Round: The Epic British Stand on the Imjin River, Korea, 1951,” and “Scorched Earth, Black Snow: Britain and Australia in the Korean War, 1950.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2012 11:43 PM | Show all posts
July 5, 2012

Kim Kang-woo writes about trip to Thailand
By Elli Park, intern reporter  Daily Korea JoongAng Daily

Actor Kim Kang-woo published a travel book of his trip to Thailand.

According to Kim’s agency Namoo Actors, on July 5, Kim recorded his Thailand experience in a book titled “Two Men’s Unstoppable Thailand Trip” with his close friend and filmmaker, Lee Jung-sub.

“In the book, Kim included anecdotes of his experience meeting actor Thanayong, taking part in the Songkran Festival, and his hopeless sense of direction,” the agency said.

“Although the writing process took longer than we thought, we were surprised and captivated by his writing. Readers will be able to see the honest, fun parts of Kim,” said a spokesperson from PaperBook, the publisher of Kim’s book.

Meanwhile, Kim will begin filming on July 5 at Busan for the KBS drama “Haeundae Lovers,” superseding the current show “Big.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2012 11:47 PM | Show all posts
July 5, 2012

Lee Sun-jung to marry fellow entertainer

Actress Lee Sun-jung has been revealed to be dating, and to soon walk down the aisle with entertainer LJ.

The couple who are both 34-years-old have been dating since last fall and will tie the knot come their one year anniversary.

A representative from LJ’s agency told Ilgan Sports on July 5 that the two began their relationship as friends before things turned a romantic turn.

“LJ’s brother got married quite recently, so the couple won’t be getting married anytime soon. They are thinking around fall,” said the representative, before stressing that both parties are cautious individuals, which means they were hesitant about going public.

Lee made her debut in 1995 as “Mambo Girl,” dancing with singer Kim Boo-yong on stage. She rose to fame through the sitcom “Three men, Three women” (1996-99) and the movie “Shall We Kiss?” (1998).

Meanwhile, LJ has been a minor celebrity while dabbling in the managerial side of the business and has represented Brown Eyed Soul in the past.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

10-5-2024 02:41 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.182145 second(s), 39 queries .