ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2012 - 2013

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 21-4-2012 02:56 PM | Show all posts
April 21, 2012

Actor Yun Yong Hyeon's Wife Gives Birth to a Son
Source: CJ E&M enewsWorld Choi, EunHwa Translation Credit : Ju Ahn Lee

Actor Yun Yong Hyeon is a dad once again!

Through a phone interview with enews on April 21, Yun Yong Hyeon said, “On April 18, I became a father to my second child. Both my wife and son are healthy and I couldn’t be happier.”

On April 18, Yun Yong Hyeon’s wife Park Soo Jin gave birth to a healthy 3.2kg baby boy at the Aisan Clinic in Ilsan. It took about three hours for Park to give birth to a healthy and handsome baby boy, and she is currently in recovery. The lucky parents have yet to decide on their son’s name.

Yun Yong Hyeon couldn’t hide his joy and said, “Our daughter Da Im stood by and watched her younger brother come out and said that he looked beautiful. I’m not just saying this as his father, but my son’s well-defined features are very beautiful. You would agree as well if you saw him.”

Yun Yong Hyeon married pianist Park Soo Jin, who was nine years younger than him, in 2007. They met at the wedding of Yun Yong Hyeon’s junior colleague and it was love at first sight for Yun Yong Hyeon. The couple dated for a year before finally tying the knot. Afterwards, their daughter Yun Da Im was born and she has recently gotten a lot of buzz thanks to her appearance in a morning broadcast program.

Photo credit: SBS

Nate

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 21-4-2012 03:12 PM | Show all posts
April 21, 2012

Unknown Starlet Gets Big Break as Korean Lolita

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

The novel "Eun-gyo" by Park Bum-shin revolves around an affair between a poet in his 70s and a 17-year-old high school girl. It sparked heated debate as soon as it began to appear in serialized form on Park's personal blog, and now attention is focusing on the young actress who plays the female lead role in director Jung Ji-woo's film adaptation. The movie, "A Muse," is scheduled to be released on April 26.

In fact, the role has already catapulted 21-year-old Kim Go-eun from obscurity to the center of much media buzz concerning whether she will be able to rise to the challenge. As little is known about the actress, some have speculated that the producers are intentionally keeping her private life under wraps in order to create a more mysterious image for marketing purposes.

However, Kim said this wasn't the case. "I'm leading a normal life. It's not like people recognize me on the street or anything. Not much has changed since filming wrapped up in mid-February."

Kim Go-eun

Kim, who is currently on a leave of absence from the School of Drama at Korea National University of Arts, has never appeared in a film or TV drama before, not even in a minor role. She has only previously acted in student productions or school plays. She met Jung last year through a circle of friends and was not even aware that auditions for the film were being held. "I ended up having an audition after chatting with the director. There wasn't even any time for me to prepare," Kim recalled.

About Eun-gyo, the character she plays, Kim said, "I don't think physical beauty alone could have unleashed so much passion in a man who had lived for over 70 years with a heart of a stone. Eun-gyo is very spontaneous and is too innocent to have thought about the consequences of what she is doing, but she also has a mature side. She lacks parental care and love, so she desires this from a surrogate father figure, and becomes obsessed with the idea. I think her feelings about the poet are not like the normal romantic feelings between a man and a woman, but rather an attachment towards someone who loves and cherishes her."

Apart from its provocative theme, the film has also caused a stir due to its scenes featuring nudity. The film features two graphic sex scenes.

"I felt anxious for days leading up those scenes, and I felt embarrassed whenever I imagined what they would be like. But when the cameras started rolling, I didn't feel ashamed, because I became totally immersed in the character," Kim said.

Kim's family moved to China when she was four and lived there for about 10 years. "I watched 'Together' by [famous Chinese director] Chen Kaige many times when I lived there, and I cried every time I saw it. Since that time, I wanted to become a filmmaker. Then I was led to plays by chance," said Kim. "When I stood on the stage for the first time, I was so nervous that I thought it would be so hard if I had to do this for the rest of my life. But from my second performance, I felt ecstatic, as if I had wings on my back, and I never wanted to step off the stage. I keep on acting because I want to hold on to that feeling."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 23-4-2012 04:06 PM | Show all posts
April 23, 2012
International film festival to kick off in Jeonju on Thursday
kts@yna.co.kr

SEOUL, April 23 (Yonhap) -- The 13th Jeonju International Film Festival (JIFF) will kick off on Thursday in the ancient city of Jeonju in southwestern South Korea on Thursday for a nine-day run.

The annual film festival will feature 184 films from 42 countries through May 4, the event's organizers said. Under the theme of "Change with You! (Sympathize and Change)," films will be screened across downtown Jeonju, located about 240 kilometers south of Seoul. The films to be screened include 137 features and 47 shorts. Eighty-four films will be premieres, including 36 world premieres and 47 Asian premieres.

This year's festival will open with Sister (L'enfant d'en haut) by French-Swiss filmmaker Ursula Meier, which calmly portrays the dragging lives of a brother and sister: Simon, who has learned a dangerous way of life between the poor valley down below and the up high ski resort of the rich, and Louise, who seems to have entered the world of grown-ups at a very young age and wanders through life aimlessly.

Sister, the Meier's second full-length film, won the Special Award-Silver Bear at this year's Berlinale. Along with its strong narrative, outstanding performances by the cast, and the veteran crew, Meier has succeeded in making a great coming-of-age film that will long be remembered, the organizers said.

Organizers said there will be three competition categories: international, Korean feature films and Korean short films.

The international winner will receive US$10,000 in prize money plus another $5,000 in film funds. The Korean feature winner will take home 10 million won ($8,785) and the short film winner will get 5 million won.

The festival will also offer a special program for the audience to meet directors, performers and other guests outside of the closed walls of cinema.

Directors from both the international and Korean feature film competitions will greet the fans during "Offscreen 1: Close Encounters with Competition Directors." Visitors will also have the opportunity to meet performers and directors in "Offscreen 2: Stars in the Cinema Street."

"A Simple Life" by Ann Hui of Hong Kong will close the nine-day festival. The film was premiered last year at Venice International Film Festival and received a huge acclaim from critics, according to the organizers.

For more information, visit the festival's Web site at www.jiff.or.kr.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2012 01:03 PM | Show all posts
April 24, 2012

Nam Gyu-ri, a sensation in China
By Carla Sunwoo [carlasunwoo@joongang.co.kr]

The Korean actress who recently wrapped-up filming the Chinese drama “My Forgetful Girlfriend” has already become a celebrity in China.
The drama’s PR representative reported that those who worked with the star are expecting big things from the Hallyu actress.

As the show’s air date draws near, other Chinese networks have been jockeying to secure Nam in their programs.

Furthermore, the star is being inundated with offers to become the new face of various apparel and cosmetic brands. As Nam has previously been active as a singer, she is also being asked to sing at various events.

Meanwhile, Nam says that she is also looking forward to being more active in her homeland.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2012 01:08 PM | Show all posts
April 24, 2012

Taiwan photo mix-up angers E Jiah
By Carla Sunwoo koreajoongangdaily..com

A major mix-up at a Taiwanese newspaper had a gigantic picture of actress E Jiah set alongside a story about a womanizing Chinese politician, leading to outrage from the star’s agency.

On April 12, UDN Press printed an article about the former mayor of Dalian, Bo Xilai. The newspaper linked him to countless women and emphasized his relationship with newscaster Jang Weijie.

However, instead of printing Jang’s photo, the newspaper placed a large picture of E on its front page. It apparently took the image from a drama in which she starred some time ago.

“As you can guess, E is as shocked as we all are,” the actress’ agency said yesterday. “The newspaper did announce the misprint on the following day, but E’s reputation has already been tarnished. Furthermore, officials from the newspaper haven’t even called us to apologize.”

The agency added that it is contemplating whether it should pursue legal action to remedy the harm done.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2012 02:30 PM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by katt at 28-4-2012 14:32

April 25, 2012

Lee shares his Hollywood experience
Hallyu star returns  as Storm Shadow  in 'G.I. Joe 2'
By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldm.com)

Shooting his second Hollywood film required a number of things of actor Lee Byung-hun, including mastering every script line in a perfect American accent and getting used to the extremely strict shooting schedule.

The hallyu megastar is returning as the famously heroic “Storm Shadow” character in his upcoming sci-fi film “G.I. Joe: Retaliation,” which is a sequel to the 2009 picture “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.”

“In Korea, things can be flexible if an actor is sick or isn’t in his or her best condition,” Lee told reporters in a press meeting promoting his upcoming action in southern Seoul, Wednesday.

“So if you are seriously ill, you can re-schedule your shooting schedule. But that’s simply not the case in Hollywood. The production cost for each and every shooting day is just colossal there, so even if you’ve broken your leg you’d still have to show up at the set. Everything is pre-planned in every single detail, so you’d always start and finish each day’s work on time. I found the system very efficient, but also a bit scary and intimidating at times.”

Actor Lee Byung-hun speaks at a press meeting held in promotion
of his upcoming film “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” at CGV Apgujeong, southern Seoul, Wednesday. (1st Look)

Both the 2009 and the upcoming films are based on American board game company Hasbro’s toy and cartoon series. While Lee is returning as the same Storm Shadow, the heroic character who works as a ninja bodyguard in the first film, other casts and director have been changed.

The upcoming picture is directed by Jon M. Chu, while starring top Hollywood actors Bruce Willis and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson along with Lee. The hallyu star said shooting the sequel was certainly easier than the first one, but the language barrier and getting used to the strict schedule were still a challenge for him to overcome.

“I’d memorize each and every line perfectly before going to the shoot,” the actor told reporters.

“But I’d just forget every line ― literally every single line ― when I’m told that I’ve pronounced one word wrong while acting. Having to think that I somehow have to fix my pronunciation for that one word would just make me totally lost at the set. There’s a huge difference between making conversation in a foreign language and acting in a foreign language. I feel the most comfortable when I perform for pieces that are based on Korean culture. So I can’t help but feel that I could’ve done better if this were a Korean movie.”

Though he felt it was too “strict” at times, Lee said the efficient Hollywood system offers a lot to learn.

“Compared to Korean movies, pre-production phase is much longer for Hollywood films,” said Lee. “Because they perfectly plan out everything in advance, the actual production period is a lot shorter. I think it’s a lot more efficient that way and maybe things can be done in a similar way here.”

When a reporter asked if it bothers Lee in any way that his Storm Shadow character can be seen as another American stereotype of Asian men, the actor said he thought the character was “something that he had to do” in his foray into Hollywood.

“I didn’t necessarily decide to play this character because I loved it so much,” Lee said. “Right now I’m not given with a lot of choices in Hollywood. I thought this character was something that I had to do in my first steps of breaking into their world. And maybe I will be given with more choices once I do this character very well, though he maybe another Asian male stereotype.”

The top actor was reported to be dating popular actress Lee Min-jeong earlier this month. Both he and Lee denied the reports. Prior to the press meeting, reporters were asked not to ask him any “personal questions” and inquire only about the upcoming movie.

Lee is currently shooting his first period drama “King of Joseon,” which is slated to be released in late fall.

“G.I. Joe: Retaliation,” opens in local theaters on June 21.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 28-4-2012 02:35 PM | Show all posts
April 26, 2012

Ahn Sung-ki, Lee Byung-hun to Leave Handprints in Hollywood

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

Ahn Sung-ki (left) and Lee Byung-hun

Actors Ahn Sung-ki and Lee Byung-hun will leave their hand and foot prints on the forecourt of Mann's Chinese Theatre on June 23 when they participate in a Korean film festival held in Hollywood, California.

Until now, Hong Kong director John Woo is the only Asian celebrity to have left his prints there, making the two Koreans the first actors from the region to do so.

Opened in 1927, the theater used to host the Academy Awards. It remains a famous sightseeing spot, with the streets outside featuring the hand and foot prints of some 250 stars and directors including Charlie Chaplin, Marilyn Monroe and Harrison Ford.

The host of the festival, Look East, said that Lee was selected as the first Asian actor to leave his prints there because he has emerged as a rising star in Hollywood due to his role in the "G.I. Joe" series. Veteran actor Ahn Sung-ki was recommended by the Korean Film Producers Association.

Look East, founded by Korean-American film producer Martha Chang, said it decided to inaugurate the film festival this year to promote Asian culture and films. Star directors like Quentin Tarantino and Oliver Stone will attend, it added.

As her former colleague and producer Elli Samaha purchased Mann's Chinese Theater in June last year, Chang reserved the right to take care of Asian actors’ hand printing events there for five years from 2012, and selected Ahn and Lee as the first invitees.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2012 02:38 PM | Show all posts
April 26, 2012

Jeon Hye-bin to launch diet application

Jeon Hye-bin

Actress Jeon Hye-bin launched a diet application for the iPad on April 25.
The application follows in the successful stead of the book Jeon published last year entitled, “Jeon Hye-bin’s Stylish Body.”

The application contains easy exercise tips and moves for the public to follow and is a first for a Korean actress. Pictures for the application’s promotion were released a day earlier, generating much buzz.

Jeon is a well-liked entertainer who is known for her vibrant personality and affinity for exercise.

In many ways, the application was a natural follow-up the success of her fitness book.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 28-4-2012 02:41 PM | Show all posts
April 26, 2012

Um Sung-mo to marry girlfriend

Um Sung-mo
Actor Um Sung-mo is set to walk down the aisle in May with his girlfriend, who is five-years his senior. The 26-year old actor will get married at the Banyan Tree Hotel & Resort in Seoul to a woman surnamed Park, whom he met through a friend last year.

Um’s close celebrity friends Jang Keun-suk, Ju Ji-hoon and Gong Hyo-jin are expected to attend the ceremony.

Um made his debut in 2003 through the movie “My tutor friend,” and has been in hit movies such as “Tae Guk Gi: Brotherhood of War” (2003) and the drama “Palace” (2006).

Apart from his achievement in the entertainment industry, Um is best known for his family connections.

Um’s father owns various pediatric hospitals throughout the nation and Um’s brother operates a dermatology clinic in Apkujeong, southern Seoul.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2012 07:02 PM | Show all posts
April 26, 2012
Lee Soo-kyung buys her manager a car

Actress Lee Soo-kyung has purchased a car for her manager of five-years to express her gratitude.

According to a source close to Lee, she purchased her manager a car worth around 30 million won ($26,366) because “she wanted to say thanks for sticking by her through thick and thin.”

Lee has been busy filming the dramas “Come, Come, Absolutely Come” and “Color of Woman” since December last year until March this year.

The 30-year old actress was apparently touched by her manager’s devotion to her during the last few months.

As Lee’s manager didn’t own a car, Lee thought it a befitting gift.

The actress is currently taking a well deserved break, and contemplating her next career move.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2012 11:46 PM | Show all posts
April 26, 2012

Actress Shin Ae-ra starts podcast against school violence
By Alexander Tehoon Ahn koreatimes.co.kr

Actress Shin Ae-ra has launched a podcast to help address school violence in cooperation with the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.

On Monday, she aired the first broadcast titled, “Pencil Case School with Shin Ae-ra.” She held a discussion with Moon Jae-hyun, an expert on school gangs and violence. Moon is head of a community education research center.

As a mother of three children, including a first-grader, Shin created the podcast to raise awareness on the prevalence of school violence, with the help of the education ministry. The podcast targets parents with children who are increasingly worried about rampant school violence across the nation.

In 2005 and 2008, Shin and her husband, Cha In-pyo, made headlines when they adopted Korean baby girls. Their case highlighted the issue of adoption in Korea. Now, she is grabbing attention as she focuses on the important issue of school violence.

During the podcast, Moon said, “All groups, the perpetrators, victims, and bystanders must be seen as third parties. If bystanders help victims of bullying, then the problem of school violence will begin to disappear,” he said.

At the end of the program, Shin added: “As a mother, my main concern is not how to solve school violence, but how to avoid it. I hope school officials and parents will reflect upon my broadcast and work together to come up with helpful ideas and strategies.”

“Pencil Case School” will be broadcasted every Wednesday, with five more episodes scheduled to come. The podcast will address diverse themes and topics each time concerning school violence and children’s education.

A ministry official said the podcast is available on a smartphone application to allow people, especially working parents, to have easier access.

It can be downloaded from the ministry’s Facebook (www.facebook.com/mest4u) and through iTunes podcasts.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2012 11:55 PM | Show all posts
April 26, 2012

Ahn Sung Ki and Lee Byung Hun to Leave Handprints in Hollywood
Source: KBS Global

Actors Ahn Sung Ki and Lee Byung Hun will leave their handprints in Hollywood, a first for Asian actors.

According to film PR company First Look on April 25, Lee Byong Hun will visit Mann's Chinese Theater located on the Hollywood Walk of Fame from June 23 to 24 to leave his handprint on the street. His stamp will be the first Asian person's hand print in the past 85 years besides the Asian movie director John Woo, who directed the film "A Better Tomorrow."

Lee Byung Hun, who participated in the press conference for the movie "G.I. Joe 2" in Apgujeong on April 25, said, "I heard the news while filming the movie in the USA and I could not believe it at first."

Legendary actors such as Charlie Chaplin, Marilyn Monroe, Clint Eastwood, and Tom Cruise have left their handprints on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Look East, which is the host agency of the event, said, "Lee Byung Hun has already become recognized worldwide for his excellent acting in the movies 'A Bittersweet Life' and 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird.' And he has also become recognized as one of the influential Asian actors in Hollywood in 2012 with his appearances in the 'G. I. Joe.' series. Nobody will raise an objection to his appearance on the Hollywood Walk of Fame as the first Asian star."

Actor Ahn Sung Ki will also participate in the handprinting event by the recommendation of the Korean Film Commission on the same day. First Look explained that An Sung Ki has been selected as he is the most respectable actor in Korea who has appeared in around 100 movies up to now.

"G. I. Joe 2" will be released in Korea in June. [Yonhap]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-4-2012 11:59 PM | Show all posts
April 27, 2012

Jang Keun-suk named most popular actor of the year

Hallyu force of nature Jang Keun-suk has again proved his popularity by taking home the Best Male Star award at the 48th annual Paeksang Arts Awards on April 26.

Jang took the award which is presented to male actors in the film category for his role in last year’s hit movie “You Are My Pet.”
Jang secured 49.4 percent of the votes in a popularity survey, taking the No. 1 spot. He overtook Hallyu actors Gong Yoo and Shin Ha-kyun to claim the prize.

This isn’t the first time that the 24-year-old entertainer has been awarded a prestigious Paeksang award.

In 2010 he was awarded for his role in the movie “Itaewon Murder” (2009) and back in 2008 he took the prize for the Best New Male Talent for his role in the movie “Happy Life” (2007).

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-4-2012 12:01 AM | Show all posts
April 27, 2012
Lee Hyori apologizes for comments after horrific video went viral
By Carla Sunwoo koreajoongangdaily.com

Singer Lee Hyori apologized for comments she made on Twitter regarding the owner of a dog who unintentionally dragged the pet down a highway. The dog had jumped from the trunk of his sedan with its leash attached to the rear.

When the video went viral, it was not clear whether or not the act was intentional.

Outraged by the horrific footage, the singer posted her thoughts online.

“This incident testified just how far behind Korea is in dealing with animal abuse issues. I’m ashamed to be a human,” she said on Twitter.

But after a series of rumors and miscommunication, the owner of the pet turned out to be an apologetic man in his 40s who was unaware of the viral video because he seldom goes on the Internet. Lee Hyori apologized on Wednesday.

“I let my emotions get the better of me,” Lee tweeted. “Without knowing the full story, I attacked the owner who never intended the accident to happen.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-4-2012 12:22 PM | Show all posts
April 27, 2012

Lee Byung-hun sees 'G.I. Joe' films as stepping stone in Hollywood
By Cho Jae-eun [jainnie@joongang.co.kr]

With his second Hollywood film “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” slated to open in theaters this June, Hallyu superstar Lee Byung-hun spoke frankly about his foray into the biggest film market in the world.

“Every day during filming, I came on set nervous,” Lee confessed during a press conference for the new film in Apgujeong, southern Seoul, this week.

“In Korea, if an actor is injured or sick, the production can be delayed and there is some leniency. However, in Hollywood, because the budget for films is enormous, even if you are injured, you still need to be on set as the film schedule is very precise.”

In the film, a sequel to 2009’s “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra,” Lee reprises his role as Storm Shadow, the ninja bodyguard of Cobra Commander, the film’s terrorist organization leader. Compared to his relatively small role in the first film, the sequel features a deeper portrayal of Storm Shadow and his conflicted stance in his loyalty to both Cobra and G.I. Joe. As with the first movie, Lee stars alongside some of the biggest names in Hollywood, including Bruce Willis, Channing Tatum and Dwayne Johnson.

“G.I. Joe: Retaliation,” the sequel to 2009’s “G.I. Joe:
The Rise of Cobra,” features Lee Byung-hun, bottom,
in a more prominent role. Bruce Willis, upside, also stars. Provided by 1st Look
The actor, best known for his weighty film roles including in “I Saw the Devil” (2010) and “Joint Security Area” (2000), admitted that he at first thought his character was “quite silly,” but after reading up on his history, he was charmed by the “lonely, melancholy fighter aspect” of Storm Shadow.

Lee’s venture into Hollywood comes after those of other Korean superstars, including Jang Dong-gun’s 2010 Hollywood debut in “The Warrior’s Way,” which failed at the box office and received poor reviews.

When the Korea JoongAng Daily asked Lee whether he feels that his role in the new film feeds the stereotype of knife-wielding Asian fighters in Western blockbusters, the actor replied noncommittally.

“To be honest, I didn’t decide to play this role in the ‘G.I. Joe’ series because I felt the role was 100 percent to my taste, but rather because I was chosen for the role,” Lee said. “I think roles like these are something I have to go through to introduce myself in this market .?.?. I want to portray this character in a multilayered way so that later on I can be in the position to choose the roles I want to play.”

Regardless, the actor’s foray into North America has been well received, and Lee was recently chosen, along with fellow Korean actor Ahn Sung-ki, to be the first Asian actors to leave their hand prints at Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood. His co-star, Bruce Willis, also praised the Korean heartthrob, saying in a recent interview with MTV, “[Lee] showed some action moves that I could never do ... I want to make another movie with him if I ever get the chance.”

There was one struggle, though, that Lee said made him feel as if none of his success in Hollywood even mattered.

“Whenever I got feedback from the staff on set about my Korean accent while speaking English, my mind went blank and I forgot all my lines,” he said. “In those moments, it felt as though I was a newcomer to this scene all over again.”

He was also unaccustomed to the diehard fandom that follows many of Hollywood’s trademark films, with audiences wielding influence on producers’ decisions about their films.

Lee said he was startled when fans petitioned against revealing Storm Shadow’s face in the film, even threatening to boycott all G.I. Joe-related toys, comics and films if they didn’t get their way.

But even regarding this, the actor said he has now adjusted.

“The franchise is such a well-known, popular one and has been for decades, so I understand their point,” he explained.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-4-2012 12:24 PM | Show all posts
April 28, 2012

Shin Min-a featured in New York Times

Korean actress Shin Min-a, often called the “Asian Kate Moss,” has been featured in the March 7 edition of The New York Times’ T Magazine, her agency said yesterday.

“It was a small profile piece introducing Shin to the U.S. audience along with a picture,” a representative from the agency explained. “Shin was described as both a talented actress and a fashionista.”

The newspaper called her “a triple threat” as “a model, actress and singer who’s made 10 movies and 5 TV dramas in her home country.” It featured pictures of the actress in a pale blue Prada skirt and pointed out her expanding global presence.

Although her agency said Shin has no immediate plans to break into the U.S. market, she is said to be diligent in keeping up with her English.

Meanwhile, Shin was also featured in the May edition of U.S. fashion magazine Vogue in a two-page photo spread. In Korea, Shin is busy making preparations for her role in the drama “Arang and the Magistrate.”

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 30-4-2012 12:27 PM | Show all posts
April 28, 2012

Kim Soo-hyun's win is hotly debated
koreajoongangdaily.com

Actor of the moment Kim Soo-hyun was named Best Actor of the Year on Thursday at the Paeksang Arts Awards, which took place at Olympic Hall in Jamsil, eastern Seoul.

But Kim wasn’t all smiles after his win, which recognized his performance in the hit drama “The Moon Embracing the Sun.”

“I’m so grateful for the award, but on the other hand, it feels like I’ve just been given a hefty amount of homework,” he said. “I’ll keep trying to become a better actor in order to remain worthy of this award.”

Kim has only been active in the industry for five years, and contestants who lost to him include some of the most esteemed actors in Korea. Park Si-hoo from “Princess’s Man,” Shin Ha-gyun from “Brain” and Cha Seung-won from “The Greatest Love” were among the nominees.

The fact that these actors lost to the 24-year-old newbie was a topic of much debate among entertainment industry insiders. Kim has skyrocketed to fame since his appearance in the hit drama, with companies here and abroad vying for his endorsement.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-4-2012 01:10 PM | Show all posts
April 30, 2012
Two Korean films won Audience Award at Far East Film Festival
Source: kts@yna.co.kr

SEOUL, April 30 (Yonhap) -- South Korean films "Silenced" and "The Front Line" won Audience Awards at the 14th Udine Far East Film Festival which closed Saturday in Udine, Italy.

According to the official homepage of the festival, "Silenced" directed by Hwang Dong-hyuk and "The Front Line" directed by Jang Hun won awards with scores of 4.40 and 4.16 points, respectively. China's "One Million Above" won the same honor with 4.20 points.

"Silenced" is based on real-life events at a school for the deaf where young students were cruelly treated and even sexually abused by their teachers and administrators. The movie was a huge box-office hit in South Korea, attracting 4.7 million viewers and provoking debate on such issues.

The film incited a storm of commentary on the Internet, together with increasingly louder calls for measures to address the issues raised in the film.

The prosecutors conducted reinvestigations into the alleged sexual abuse at the school and lawmakers passed a bill to provide additional protection to the disabled and others considered at risk.

"The Front Line," which attracted 3 million moviegoers, is about the 1950-1953 Korean War. It portrays the battles that took place on just one of many hills that were fiercely contested by the South and North Korean armies in February 1953 while the two sides were engaged in armistice negotiations. During the negotiations, soldiers stationed on the front line battled desperately to secure even small amounts of territory.

The Udine Far Easter Film Festival is a representative European film festival to introduce Asian films in Europe.

A total of 10 South Korean films, including the two award winners, were invited to the festival. Others included "Unbowed," "Sunny" and "Dangerously Excited."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-4-2012 01:57 PM | Show all posts
April 30, 2012

Song Hye Kyo to Fund Production of Korean Language Guidebook at Yoon Bong Gil Memorial Hall in China
Source: KBS Global

Actress Song Hye Kyo and a guest professor, Seo Kyung Deok from Sungshin Women's University, provided a Korean language guidebook to Yoon Bong Gil Memorial Hall in Shanghai, China.

Professor Seo said on April 27, "We provided 10,000 copies of the new guidebook with a brand-new design to Yoon Bong Gil Memorial Hall located in Hongkou Park in Shanghai to celebrate the 80th anniversary of Yoon Bong Gil's patriotic deed on April 29." Song Hye Kyo willingly fully funded the production of the guidebook.

The guidebook includes various information and pictures about independence movements such as a chronological table of independence movements, Yoon Bong Gil Memorial Hall, the Provisional Government in Shanghai, the accommodation of provisional government officials in Gaheung, and a refuge of Baekbum Kim Gu.

Song Hye Kyo has already supported the production of the Korean guidebook at the Modern Art Museum in New York in January and the Shanghai Privisional Givernment on April 14.

A person representing Song Hye Kyo said, "Song Hye Kyo realized the importance of Korean language services while she was holding various activities overseas centering on Asian countries such as China and Taiwan, which led her to support the production of the Korean guidebook." Professor Seo Kyung Deok also revealed that he will continue to provide Korean language services to the world's famous art galleries, museums, and Korean historical sites all around the world. [Yonhap]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-4-2012 02:03 PM | Show all posts
April 30, 2012
Actress says Africa was a shock

Actress Shin Eun-kyung revealed that touring Africa was no bed of roses at a press conference on Thursday for SBS’s new charity-based program “Hope TV.”

“It was such a shock being there. It’s about 100 times worse than what you see on TV. I feel bad for saying this, but I really hated being there as you feel like you really can’t do much to alleviate their suffering,” said Shin.

During her three-day visit, the actress said she felt as if three years had passed and she spent most of her time crying in despair.

“During those times, I thought a lot about myself, about my life, and it really made me want to seek God.”

The 30-year-old said visiting Burundi made her realize just how grateful she should be for her life back home.

The TV personality also asked the public to continue its support for those living in poverty-stricken areas.

The new SBS show, which airs for the first time on May 4, will sponsor and report on developments in Africa and other third-world nations.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

28-3-2024 06:16 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.060581 second(s), 39 queries .