ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2012 - 2013

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 2-6-2012 12:25 PM | Show all posts
June 2, 2012

Actress Park Bo-young Expands Repertoire with Horror Flick
Source: ChosunIlbo

Following her four-year absence from the limelight, actress Park Bo-young has returned with the new thriller "Don't Click." The 22-year-old, who rose to fame after her hit comedy "Scandal Makers" drew 8.3 million viewers in 2008, hit the silver screen in the flick about sisters who are haunted after watching cursed video clips, leading them to do battle with evil spirits.

In an interview last week, the Chosun Ilbo asked what prompted her to gamble on a horror movie, which has a relatively limited fan base at the domestic box office.

"The movie deals with the issue of abusive online comments which hurt people. After reading the screenplay, I became deeply interested in the movie and also the genre."

"In many scenes, it was just me acting, with computer graphics to be added in later. This meant I didn't have any other actors to bounce off, which made it harder to focus and hit the right emotional pitch. After wrapping up shooting, I felt that I may have expressed too much or too little in couple of the scenes."

Asked what kind of movies she wants to concentrate on in the future, Park said, "I want to build a rich filmography and don't want to limit myself to a certain role or character." Although her voice was hoarse from several days of promoting her new film, she added, "Once you begin something, you must give it your best shot."

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 4-6-2012 01:32 PM | Show all posts
June 3, 2012

Actress Kim Ji-soo unveils picture of boyfriend
Source: The Korea Herald

South Korean actress Kim Ji-soo posted a photo of herself with boyfriend Roy Kim on Facebook, Saturday.

In the shot, the 40-year-old actress is staring at the camera, smiling, while her boyfriend looks at his cell phone in a café.

In March, Kim admitted that she was dating by changing her Facebook status to ‘in a relationship with Roy Kim’ and gained the public’s attention due to their 16-years age difference.

Roy Kim allegedly graduated from the school of business at the University of British Colombia in Canada and now works as the CEO of RK Motor’s.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-6-2012 11:05 PM | Show all posts
June 4, 2012

Oh Ji-ho wants to be in TVXQ
By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

Actor Oh Ji-ho held a fan meet in Tokyo on June 2 titled “Beginning of a New Journey” and took to the stage by singing the song “I Am a Man” which he sang for the OST of the drama “Stranger 6.”

“This is the first time that I’ve sung in front of so many people, so excuse me if I was a little bit nervous,” explained Oh.

During the talking portion of the fan meet, Oh opened up about his latest productions.
“We are wrapping up production of ‘Gone with the Wind’ and it is set to hit cinemas in September,” Oh said.

Oh also briefly mentioned the drama “The Third Drama” in which he will star alongside Sooyoung from Girls’ Generation.

On the topic of idol groups, Oh was asked which boy band he’d most like to be in, if he was given the choice.

The 36-year old actor set the fans head a-spin by replying, “Super Junior seems like a cool group, but then I’d have to choose TVXQ as there are fewer members and I’d want the spotlight.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-6-2012 11:10 PM | Show all posts
June 4, 2012

Lee Tae-gon to hold fan meetings and hopes to spread Korean culture

Actor Lee Tae-gon will hold fan meetings in Japan from July 1, starting with Katsushika in Tokyo where residents will be picked to attend the event free-of-charge.

In an unusual move, Lee hopes to exemplify the charitable deeds and beliefs behind Korean culture by making the event free.

“I’ve been involved with period dramas that shed some light onto Korean culture. I just wanted to show my gratitude towards the Japanese fans in a befitting manner so I thought that this would be it,” said Lee about the Tokyo based fan meet.

Meanwhile, after the meet in Tokyo, Lee will travel to Osaka and Fukuoka for additional meets.

T.G International said that its talent plans on expanding his activities in Japan and hopes to come up with various activities in a bid to appeal to both Japanese and Korean fans alike.

Lee has rocketed to fame of late through the historical drama “King Gwang-gae-to the Great,” which ended in April.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-6-2012 11:13 PM | Show all posts
June 4, 2012

Drama starring Kim Hyun-joong is already making money

The drama “City Conquest,” starring singer Kim Hyun-joong, hasn’t even gotten underway. Despite this, four locales in Asia have signed contracts to purchase rights to the drama, which means Kim has made 118 million won ($9,986,254) for his production company.

“So far we have signed contracts with Japan, China, Hong Kong and Taiwan before the drama has even been made. This is a testament to just what a force Kim is in Asia,” said a spokesperson from the drama production company.

Meanwhile Kim’s agency added that the Hallyu actor is currently concentrating on his acting skills to give it his best performance yet.

“Despite the fact that he is in the middle of a fan meeting tour, he spends every spare minute in training,” said a spokesperson from Keyeast Entertainment.

Kim will begin filming the drama from early July.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 4-6-2012 11:17 PM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by katt at 4-6-2012 23:18

June 4, 2012

Shin Se-kyung injures herself

Actress Shin Se-kyung recently tore a ligament while shooting a new drama. Her agency said that it wasn’t a major injury and that she was well.

To reassure fans, Shin uploaded a picture of herself with her leg in a cast on June 2.

With the picture she said, “I’m fine.”
Fans were pacified and praised the actress for maintaining a positive outlook despite being harmed.

Just last week, Shin was named the new face of the cosmetics brand Nature Republic.

The skin care and makeup brand announced on May 31 that Shin’s popularity as a Hallyu actress will help the brand’s image in the seven nations in which it has outlets.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 4-6-2012 11:19 PM | Show all posts
June 4, 2012

Sung Yu-ri named book ambassador

Actress Sung Yu-ri has been picked by the Korean Publishers Association as honorary ambassador for the Seoul International Book Fair June 20 to 24 at Coex.

Sung will begin promoting the international event in order to increase awareness and promote visits to the show in its 18th run.

“It’s an honor to be the face of the biggest book fair in Korea. I will give it my best for the success of the event,” said Sung, adding that she will take part in various activities to promote the event.

The actress who rose to fame from being in the ’90s idol band FIN.K.L has captivated audience in the MBC weekend drama “Feast of the Gods.”

The drama was based on Korean royal court cuisine and Sung played a hot-tempered yet compassionate chef named Go Joon-young.

The 31-year-old star is starring in the comedy movie “Detective Cha,” which opened May 30. In the film, Sung plays the role of a clueless fashion designer named Heo Young-gi.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-6-2012 11:55 AM | Show all posts
June 5, 2012
Chosunilbo

Actress Kim Tae-hee poses at a fan meeting in Seoul on Monday.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 5-6-2012 11:59 AM | Show all posts
June 5, 2012

Comedian Baek drops 40 kilos
Source: The Korea Herald

Comedian Baek Jae-hyeon said he lost 40 kilograms through nearly a year of rigorous exercise.

Baek used to weigh 118 kg and went to a hospital for a general medical checkup in February last year.

The doctor said Baek had six years left due to high risks for diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure.

Once he lost 40 kilos, he went on to have plastic surgery on his mouth, eyes and nose.

His story will be featured on a TV morning show on Thursday on KBS.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-6-2012 01:21 PM | Show all posts
June 4, 2012

Kim Myung Min returns in disaster thriller
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

Award-winning actor Kim Myeong-min, whose previous works include MBC’s “Beethoven Virus” (2008) and period thriller “Detective K” (2011), is returning to the screen as a desperate father in the upcoming disaster thriller “Deranged” (Yeongasi).

In the blockbuster flick which portrays the outbreak of virus-infected parasites in Seoul, Kim plays an ordinary man in his 40s named Jae-hyuk who works for a medical supplies company. The film begins as a number of dead bodies are found floating in the Han River. The public is even more shocked when they find out the men and women jumped into the water as if they were on drugs, as seen on CCTV footage.

Actor Kim Myeong-min stars in an upcoming disaster thriller “Deranged.” (CJ Entertainment)

The experts finally discover that there is an outbreak of fatal virus-infected horsehair worms. Once infected by the deadly parasitic animal, one becomes unbearably thirsty and hungry, and eventually jumps into a body of water out of severe dehydration.

When the government desperately seeks the cure for the disease, Jae-hyuk finds out his family, too, is showing similar symptoms as the victims.

Kim, whose previous characters include a renowned conductor, a marathon runner and a Joseon-era detective, is famous for his versatility. He has won a number of awards, including the Grand Prize at the 2009 MBC Drama Awards and the 2009 Blue Dragon Film Awards. “Deranged” is his ninth movie, following last year’s sports flick “Pacemaker.”

Co-starring Kim in this 10 billion won film is former Shinhwa member Kim Dong-wan.

A CJ Entertainment release, “Deranged” is slated to open in theaters on July 12.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-6-2012 06:33 PM | Show all posts
June 5, 2012

'No one can act against self-interest'
By Kwaak Je-yup The Korea Times

Kim Dai-seung, director of the film “The Concubine,” opening today in theaters nationwide, says the characters’ self-serving pursuits mirror the social ills of today. / Korea Times photo by Kwaak Je-yup

Its characters may don the royal garb of centuries ago, but “The Concubine,” released today, is a thinly-veiled critique of modern Korean society, according to director Kim Dai-seung.

Much has been said in the local media about the ample nudity and the theme of carnal desire in the film, but Kim asks the audience to look beyond the libido.

Behind the plot, every protagonist is driven by self-interest — and not much else — and that is where Kim points his finger.

“I told the crew and actors from the beginning there’s not a single good guy or girl here,” said the director in a recent interview with The Korea Times. “It’s perfectly easy to do good when it doesn’t affect us. But when it actually comes to serving our own interests, none of us can be good or just.”

He consequently summarizes his work as a story without a hero: “They are just four people mired in love and hate relationships,” referring to the powerless king (Kim Dong-wook, “Take Off,” 2009), his mother and regent (Park Ji-young, “The Show Must Go On,”2006), his object of unrequited love Hwa-yeon (Jo Yeo-jung, “The Servant,” 2010) and her former lover and now eunuch Gwon-yu (Kim Min-jun, “Love,” 2007).

The film delves into the psychologies of the four characters, each with a singular motive. The queen mother and former concubine works tirelessly to assassinate the current king and put her son — his stepbrother — on the throne. The sole objective for the son, who later becomes king — is, however, to secure the love of the beautiful Hwa-yeon, even after she becomes his stepbrother’s second wife. She, at first, is bold enough to abandon everything for love and elope with Gwon-yu but after the birth of her own child goes through a transformation into someone who would do anything to protect her child, like the queen mother. (The castrated Gwon-yu works for no one but himself, taking sides only with those holding power.)

In this vicious cycle from Hwa-yeon to queen mother, which Kim calls the central message, a satire of the modern-day Korean mother and son appears.

“Some critics say the women (in the film) are monsters and the men their sacrifice, but it’s not that simple. The queen mother only wanted to make her son king and let him reign over a peaceful kingdom. She must have given him rigorous training, kind of like the mothers today with their children, driving them to after-school academies without giving them any time to rest. That is considered motherly love here. But is it really maternal? Is there no desire of her own reflected in this pursuit (of success)? Also, the children, they are robbed of their dreams by their teens. If they are unhappy now, will they be happy later? Moms say it is in their children’s best interest, but is it really?”

Another subject that excited him during the interview was the voyeuristic palace set, created expressly to induce fear.

Servants, who are always present outside every chamber, are watching and overhearing royal intrigue. The wedding night of the new king and his eerily lifeless bride is observed (through papered wooden doors) by top-ranked aristocrats and even his mother. He is even instructed by a eunuch on the process of lovemaking. Another powerful scene takes place in the underground prison, in which Hwa-yeon discovers terrorized inmates trembling behind a single rope — not a set of bars in sight.

“In the scene, the head female servant to the queen mother threatens the prisoners with so much cruelty... They are so scared that even a rope can deter them from breaking out. It’s because they know what would happen if they even attempted to escape. The more iron bars there are, the less fear there is for me.”

In the end, the film gives no answers about the way out of this horrible world, other than death. Another possibility is “Painful Regret,” the title of a poem by Hwang Ji-woo the director gave to his cast before the shoot.

“It saddens me,” it begins, “Every place I loved / is now destroyed.”

“The Concubine” opens in theaters nationwide today. Runs 122 minutes. Rated 18 and over. Distributed by Lotte Entertainment.

jay@koreatimes.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-6-2012 06:37 PM | Show all posts
June 5, 2012

Cho Seung-woo wins 3rd best actor prize
By Kwon Mee-yoo The Korea Times

Singer and actress Oak Joo-hyun, left, and musical theater superstar
Cho Seung-woo pose at The Musical Awards 2012 ceremony Monday
in Seoul. / Courtesy of The Musical Awards

Actor Cho Seung-woo affirmed his overwhelming presence in musical theater once again by winning the Best Actor at The Musical Awards 2012, Monday, for his role of Yuri Zhivago in “Doctor Zhivago.”

It’s Cho’s third trophy as Best Actor — he was named the most prominent musical actor for portraying Don Quixote in “Man of La Mancha” in 2008 and Dr. Jekyll in “Jekyll and Hyde” last year.

Cho, who finished “Doctor Zhivago,” Sunday, thanked the cast and crew of the musical.

He joined the production just two weeks ahead of opening, after Ju Ji-hun quit due to health problems. “Doctor Zhivago,” which premiered in Australia and then headed to Seoul for another tryout, received a lukewarm reception at first, since the show was not a proven hit.

However, it was Cho who reversed the situation and expressed the subtle emotions of Zhivago, a doctor and poet who loved two women, onstage.

Singer-turned-actress Oak Joo-hyun received the Best Actress award for her portrayal of Austrian empress in “Elisabeth.”

“Elisabeth” was the hottest musical of the year, grabbing eight trophies out of 12 nominations. Including Oak’s Best Actress, the show won the Musical of the Year, Best Featured Actor (Park Eun-tae), Best Musical Director, Set Design, Costume, Lighting and Sound Design.

Jun-su of JYJ, who gave charismatic performances as Death in “Elisabeth,” and Kim Sun-young of “Elisabeth” and “Zorro” received the male and female Popular Star Award respectively, which was voted for by the audience.

meeyoo@koreatimes.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-6-2012 11:12 PM | Show all posts
June 5, 2012

China popularity puts Kim on cover

Hallyu actor Kim Bum has proved his popularity among Chinese fans, after appearing on the cover of “Men’s Uno,” which is distributed in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Kim is pictured exuding a macho look and a 1980s hairdo.

Inside the June edition of the magazine there is a four-page spread dedicated to the actor.

HS Media, which publishes the magazine, said Kim’s fame at the moment in China knows no bounds.

“Visually, he’s attractive to the Chinese population. Kim is being flooded with offers from apparel companies as well as other industries that want him to star in their commercials. It’s this popularity that landed him the cover on the magazine,” said an HS spokesperson.

In addition to his good looks, it is the 22-year-old’s acting skills that captivate the Chinese audience, the spokesperson said.

Meanwhile, Kim is wrapping up filming on the crime thriller “Miracle,” in which he plays a suspicious graffiti artist who is a suspect as well as a key figure in solving the mysterious disappearances of children.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-6-2012 12:19 PM | Show all posts
June 6, 2012

JYJ's Park Proves Himself a Prince of Primetime Soaps
Source: ChosunIlbo

Many boy band singers try their hand at acting but few have managed to pull it off with such aplomb as Park Yu-chun of JYJ. He has garnered praise for his acting abilities in a series of dramas over the last three years, but it was his role in the recently-ended SBS TV series "Rooftop Prince" that really impressed critics as he showed a greater maturity as a master of his craft.

In the drama, he played the role of Lee Gak, a Chosun Dynasty prince who traveled through time to the present. Park initially won over viewers with his comic antics, but as the story developed he gradually fleshed out the character and got the audience more involved in the drama by showing the prince's hidden charisma and hinting at his secret.

"I was lucky that I got to act in a drama where I felt totally connected to the script, and was able to work with other great actors and a terrific production crew," he said. "If I had let the responsibility of playing the male lead overwhelm me, the job would have been exhausting. But I was able to immerse myself in my role and it was great fun."

Park is scheduled to head to the Indonesian surfing Mecca of Bali for a photo shoot this month before he meets with fans and shoots commercials in Korea. He said he will be sifting through more TV scripts before JYJ

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 6-6-2012 05:36 PM | Show all posts
June 6, 2012

Actor Yoo posts controversial comments on Twitter

Source: The Korea Times

Actor Yoo Ah-in’s opinionated comments have always been an issue.

Yoo posted a comment about the general election results in his twitter feed, on April 12 after the progressive party side was only able to win 148 seats, far less than expected.

“I wish the progressive party were more progressive. Election isn’t a war. I hope progressiveness doesn’t rot away in the current political state. Don’t even say we lost. Opposition party protagonists aren’t remnants of the defeated. I want to see what the party can do in a progressive way of the results and so forth.”

Ten days earlier, he posted his strong opinion about the age regulation on world-renowned pop star Lady Gaga’s concert in Seoul, prompting a controversy online.

“Were standards and evidence for sexually aggressive content of the concert given to the underage audiences who aren’t able to attend? Are we still teaching sex-education from the 80s?”

The tickets to the concert, which was held at Jamsil Stadium on April 27, were first sold as parental guidance(PG) age of 13 but later on changed to PG-18 on grounds that the Lady Gaga concert had controversial expressions and therefore was not fit for minors.

“There isn’t a place other than twitter where I can express my opinion,” Yoo said. “I wish to be respected as a part of society and cannot ignore such things.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 7-6-2012 04:34 PM | Show all posts
June 6, 2012

Actor Kwon Sang-woo Attends Fan's Funeral
Source: KBS Global

Kwon Sang-woo has showed his fans another soft side to his cool, collected, and chiseled exterior.

Kwon recently made a condolence call as soon as he landed in Korea from the 65th Cannes Film Festival to honor the death of a long-time fan of his.

In fact, earlier this year in April, when the now late fan was still alive fighting stomach cancer in the hospital, Kwon had paid a visit.
He was informed of the fan's illness through a fan letter sent on her behalf by a friend, telling the actor about the dying girl's wish to meet him.

Months later, with the passing of that very fan, Kwon attended her wake. Even his management reps responded to questions that they had no idea Kwon had even attended the fan's wake alone. The reps cited Kwon's upset feelings upon the news being that this was indeed a fan that knew him and supported him for a long time.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 7-6-2012 11:08 PM | Show all posts
June 7, 2012

S.E.S. reunited after 10 years

Girl group S.E.S. recently reunited some 10 years since it disbanded. The three ladies, Bada, Eugene and Shoo, took part in shooting an advertisement for the fashion magazine Harper’s Bazaar.

In the interview accompanying the pictorial, the girl group members said that they parted in order to leave the girl group’s name untarnished. “We were young and we promised that years from then we’d work again as S.E.S., but we’d be better than before,” said the girl group.

Currently, the trio is working on a charity project titled “Green Heart,” a charity sale geared towards helping out a young cellist living in poverty named Min-ho. Personal items belonging to the three as well as a T-shirt designed by Eugene will be on sale at the bazaar, scheduled to take place on June 9 in Nonhyun-dong, southern Seoul.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 7-6-2012 11:10 PM | Show all posts
June 7, 2012

Movie production company wants to ban "Love Rain"

A movie production company which produced the film “The Classic” back in 2003 has asked the Seoul Central District Court to put an injunction on airing the drama “Love Rain,” as it is said to be a work of plagiarism.

A lawyer for the movie company said that the KBS drama stole the plot, scenarios as well as character relationships from the movie and thus the program, featuring Hallyu actor Jang Keun-suk, is thought to be in violation of the film’s copyright.

“We filed a complaint to the network and the drama production company but failed to come to an agreement. Thus we are seeking guidance from the court,” said the lawyer.

Themes of choosing friendship over love, breaking-up and parents reuniting as a couple due to children falling in love with one another were themes from the movie, which also appear in the KBS show that finished airing last month.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 7-6-2012 11:13 PM | Show all posts
June 7, 2012

Sooyoung has TV role as K-pop star

Girls’ Generation member Sooyoung will appear on an episode of the new SBS weekend drama “A Gentleman’s Dignity.”

In the episode to be aired Saturday, Sooyoung will make a cameo appearance as herself.

The scene involves the four male characters - played by Jang Dong-gun, Kim Su-ro, Kim Min-jong and Lee Jong-hyuk - talking about who is their favorite Girls’ Generation member.

Sooyoung appears, flabbergasting the four friends and eliciting some laugh lines from the Kim Min-jong’s character, who had told his friends he wasn’t a fan.

In fact, the appearance was the idea of Kim Min-jong himself who is close to Sooyoung in real life.

The filming took place on May 28, and Sooyoung was praised for her professional and friendly demeanor. She took time to pose for photographs with various staff members.

The weekend drama is written by Kim Eun-sook and directed by Shin Woo-chul, who co-wrote the 2010 hit drama “Secret Garden.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 7-6-2012 11:15 PM | Show all posts
June 7, 2012

As face of Kanu, Gong Yoo gets refill

Actor Gong Yoo has signed up for the second time to promote Maxim brand’s Kanu line of instant coffee.

“Coffee conjures up images of Gong Yoo’s face. He embodies the sensitivity that lines up perfectly with the beverage and his appeal as an actor to people from all demographic groups is what led us to choose him again as Kanu’s model,” said a spokesperson for Maxim.

The spokesperson added that the 32-year-old actor was instrumental in enhancing the product’s image as a sophisticated coffee mix.

Gong Yoo has made headlines of late for returning to drama genre in “Big” on KBS. The new show also stars actress Lee Min-jung and Suzy from Miss A and is based on a wacky plot that involves an 18-year-old boy and a successful man in his 30s switching bodies.

The drama is Gong Yoo’s first in more than five years. He last starred in the 2007 hit drama “Coffee Prince.”

Last year he was acclaimed for his role in “Dogani” (“The Crucible”), a history-making film about sexual abuse of disabled children.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

27-4-2024 08:39 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.085589 second(s), 39 queries .