CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 4057|Reply: 5

How does the scam work?

[Copy link]
Post time 14-12-2003 06:21 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Ada maklumat yg sangat menarik perhatian saya, rupa-rupanya ramai Netizen (internet users) yg ditipu bagi mengelakkan maklumat terdahulu (history) dikesan...

The Scam

The whole goal of the scam is to scare you -- to use the minimal publically available information above (your computer's Internet address, ISP name, and city) to state that you're being "investigated", that you're "broadcasting personal information to the Internet", or otherwise need their product. Said product generally being unnecessary and overpriced, of course.
So let's lay out your publically available information:

Your IP address: 203.106.143.197
Your ISP or company: Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
Your City: (Sorry, reverse-lookup to find your city based on your IP address is a pay service, and I'm not paying.)

... ..

Propoganda is all about being sneaky with your lies -- making sure there's just enough truth surrounding them to make them seem plausible. So here we go.

You are being investigated -- lie.
Your ISP, Asia Pacific Network Information Centre, is cooperating with this investigation. -- lie. But note how a piece of true information (your ISP or company name) is used to make this false information seem plausible, and thus make the previous lie seem plausible.

Your computer is broadcasting your IP address, 203.106.143.197, to the Internet. -- Lie. Your IP address is sent only to web sites where your computer requests web pages, so that they have an address for sending the requested information. But note how a piece of true information (your IP address) is used to make this false information seem plausible, and thus make the previous lie seem plausible.

You can be fired for what you browse at work - True. This has nothing to do with the scam products, which won't protect you from being fired for what you browse at work, but is tossed in to make the rest of the scam seem more plausible.

The Internet is placing hidden evidence onto your computer. Lie. Your web browser does cache information on your hard drive, but this isn't "hidden".
When you erase files, they are not really erased. True. This truth is typically interspersed somewhere with all the lies, to make the lies seem plausible.

baca lagi kat sini
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://evidence-eliminator-sucks.com/how-work.php

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 14-12-2003 06:39 PM | Show all posts
File Deletion Isn't

The first thing to note is that file deletion isn't. A simple software tool can bring a file back from the grave.

Here's how it works. A file actually consists of two parts: Information ABOUT the file ( its name, size, etc.) stored in the directory or folder, and a list of actual data blocks containing the actual information in the file. When you "delete" a file, what you are actually doing is two things. First, you mark it as "deleted" in the directory or folder, so it will no longer show up in the directory or folder when you go into it. Secondly, you add the list of blocks to a "free" list so that they can be reused for new files. But all the data is still in those blocks!.

So if the blocks haven't been reused yet, the entire file can be resurrected, quite intact.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 14-12-2003 06:42 PM | Show all posts
Real Security is more than Snake Oil

In the security business we call it "snake oil": products which are overhyped and claim to perform the impossible, which in actuality are pure bunkum. Security is not a product. Security is a process.

The first rule of security: Always keep your operating system patched and up to date! To my chagrin, I found that even my beloved Linux can be hacked if you fail to keep it up to date. I set up an automated job on my Linux box that downloads any security patches every night at 3am and installs them without human. With Windows, you can get the same general effect by making a point of running the update wizard every night.

Next, you want to remove programs from your computer that are a security risk. Especially: DO NOT USE MICROSOFT OUTLOOK EXPRESS! This program spreads every virus except AIDS (and Microsoft is working on that!). Use Eudora or Netscape Communicator instead -- since most EMAIL viruses are aimed at Outlook Distress, they'll pretty much bounce off of Eudora or Mozilla (I have verified this myself -- I have read mail via Mozilla that would have spread a virus via Outlook Distress).

Use magic Report

winzip This user has been deleted
Post time 14-12-2003 09:26 PM | Show all posts
itu semua business.. mula2 bagi customer takut.. then bagi product..

Use magic Report

Post time 15-12-2003 04:48 AM | Show all posts
malas nak baca..

Use magic Report

Post time 15-12-2003 12:50 PM | Show all posts
scam?spam?scam?spam?
dua dua nyusahkan ajer!!nf:

Use magic Report

Follow Us
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

6-5-2024 10:01 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.060268 second(s), 32 queries .