Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 3230|Reply: 8

Network Tutorial: Sharing with Microsoft ICS

[Copy link]
Post time 21-2-2004 07:42 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
The Microsoft ICS Zone

Microsoft ICS, or Internet Connection Sharing
is Microsoft's answer to sharing internet acccess on a home network.  Microsoft ICS comes built in to Windows 98SE, Windows 98ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.  Using NAT, ICS allows all the computers on your home network to access the internet through a single computer with ICS installed.  The ICS Zone at HomeNetHelp will guide you through installing, troubleshooting, and configuring Internet Connection Sharing for advanced internet applications.

Unfortunately, ICS is limited in a few ways. First, it has no logging capabilities and no filtering features. In addition, advanced applications like h.323 (netmeeting) and VPNs refuse to work with it.  If however you are simply interested in basic connection sharing for your home network and do not wish to invest in a Router, ICS may be the way to go.

ICS Zone Articles

The tutorials here look at ICS when setting it up to share a broadband connection but the same concepts can be applied to a dial-up modem.

Plan for and install Microsoft ICS on your home network. This installation guide covers Windows 98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP!
Basic Troubleshooting
ICS Resources

[ Last edited by Remy_3D on 21-2-2004 at 07:46 PM ]

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 21-2-2004 07:55 PM | Show all posts

Installing ICS - Architeching Your Network

ICS, or Internet Connection Sharing, is microsoft抯 solution to sharing internet access on your home network. A version of ICS server is included in Win98SE, WinME, Windows 2000, and WindowsXP (home and professional editions). This article covers only broadband connections (cable/dsl) but can be adapted to dial-up modems very easily.

ICS can be installed on most Home Networks in four steps
architect your ICS solution
set up your network
install and configure ICS
configure your clients

Architect Your Home Network for ICS
Architecting means understanding where Microsoft ICS server fits into the physical layout of your home network.  It is important to realize that ICS needs to be run on only one computer. This computer, referred to as your 慖CS computer

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-2-2004 08:06 PM | Show all posts

My main ICS server computer runs:

Windows98SE/ME

Installing ICS - Network setup for Win98/ME

Getting your Windows 98SE or Windows ME network running.
Before attempting to install ICS, we need to make sure your home network and your internet connection is running ok. If either of these things is not functioning, ICS will not work.  If you have any internet sharing services running, remove them before continuing. This includes proxy servers like Sygate. Also remove ICS from your computer if you already have it installed.

CAUTION:  ICS and AOL can not exist on the same computer.  If you have AOL installed on the ICS computer, please uninstall it.

On your ICS computer (the one with two network adapters), your network properties should look something like this. Note:  NetBEUI is not shown in this picture.

Network Properties
One Client for Microsoft networks
Two network adapters
Two TCP/IP, one for each network adapter
Two NetBEUI, one for each network adapter
One File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.

If you are missing any components, you can install them with the 'add' button.  hint: TCP/IP and NetBEUI are protocol>Microsoft.

IPX are not needed and should be removed if present.

Configure Home Networking Connection
Next, configure the TCP/IP protocol that goes to your home network adapter.  Set this computer to TCP/IP address 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 - don't worry about the other properties for now.

Confgure Internet Connection
Click on the copy of NetBEUI that is associated with your network card that connects to the cable/dsl modem and click the remove button - you do not need NetBEUI on your internet connection.  Click on the copy of TCP/IP that is associated with your network card that connects to the cable/dsl modem.  Configure TCP/UP as described by your Internet service provider.

(close the network properties and let the computer reboot)

More things to configure
On your network properties screen, set your Primary Network Login to 'Client for Microsoft Networks'.  Lastly, click the 'file and print sharing' button and enable file sharing.  This is required if you wish to share files on this computer with the rest of your network computers.

Test the Internet
Bring up internet explorder and test your Internet connection. You should be able to access the internet from this computer. Do not proceed until you are successful.

Configure a second computer
Testing your Local network (LAN) is very important.  Follow this tutorial to configure a second computer on your network.  Second computer is Windows 95/95/ME or Windows 2000/XP.  Return to this page when you are finished.  Hint: Set your ICS server computer to the same workgroup name as the other computers.

Setting up ICS on your ICS Computer
Now that your network is running and your ICS computer can reach the Internet, it is time to install ICS.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-2-2004 08:23 PM | Show all posts

My main ICS server computer runs:

Windows 2000/XP

Installing ICS - Network Setup - Windows XP

Getting your Windows 2000 or Windows XP network running.
Before attempting to install Microsoft ICS, we need to make sure your home network and your internet connection is running ok. If either of these things is not functioning, ICS will not work.  If you have any other internet sharing programs running, remove them before continuing. This includes proxy servers like Sygate.  Also, disable all firewall software.  You can re-enable it after we get everything running.

From the computer with two NIC's, the ICS server, right click on "My Network Places" and select properties. The first thing you should do is rename your network connections to something easily recognizable. The default is 慙ocal Area Connection

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-2-2004 08:46 PM | Show all posts

My Client computer runs:

Windows98SE/ME

ICS Client Setup - Windows 98/ME

Configure a Windows 98/ME computer to be an ICS client
Now that you have ICS running, it is time to configure your other computers on your home network.  Open your network properties and ensure that yor setup contains the following items.  Note, the picture does not show NetBEUI installed but it should be

Network Properties
One Client for Microsoft networks
One network adapters
One TCP/IP
One NetBEUI
One File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.

Select TCP/IP and click properties.
Configure TCP/IP in the following way
IP Address: Obtain IP Address Automatically
Gateway: blank or 192.168.0.1
Bindings: Check both Client for MS Networks and File/Print Sharing Click

OK Reboot your computer.

Configuring Internet Explorer (5.x)
First close all copies of Internet Explorer. Next, right click on the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop and click properties. Select the connections tab. If you can, select 憂ever dial a connection

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-2-2004 08:51 PM | Show all posts

My Client computer runs:

Windows2000

ICS Client Setup - Windows 2000

How to Configure a Windows 2000 computer to be an client for and ICS network
Now that you have ICS running, it's time to configure your other computers on your home network.

Right click on the 慚y Network Places

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 21-2-2004 08:55 PM | Show all posts

My Client computer runs:

WindowsXP

ICS Client Setup - Windows XP

Configure a Windows XP computer to be an ICS client
Now that you have ICS running, it is time to configure your other computers on your home network.

Click the start menu and right click on the 慚y Network Places

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 21-2-2004 09:01 PM | Show all posts

Basic Troubleshooting:

Diagnosing ICS - Getting ICS Running

INFO: How to un-install ICS
In your control panel, double-click the "Add/Remove Programs" icon.  Select the "Windows Setup" tab.  Double click "Internet Options", and unselect the Internet Connection Sharing box. Click OK and OK again.

Problem: Slow transfer Rates with Cable Modem or DSL modem
NOTE: NOT FOR ANALOG DIAL-UP MODEM USERS
Applies to: Windows 98SE and WindowsME
Remove this Registry Key from the computer running the ICS service
Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\ (continued)
Services\ICSharing\Settings\General\InternetMTU

Problem: No Tools\Mtsutil\ICS folder on the Windows ME CD
When troubleshooting your network in Windows ME, the wizard may tell you to to turn DHCP on by going to the Tools\Mtsutil\ICS folder, but it does not exist on the CD.  See this microsoft link for details.

Problem: NetMeeting is not functioning
Netmeeting and ICS are not fully compatable with each other. You will experience problems with the white board, the file sharing, and possibly other features.  You will definitely not be able to receive calls with NetMeeting with ICS running.

Problem: 揘umber of Computers Connected

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 21-2-2004 09:02 PM | Show all posts

ICS Resources on the web

W.I.P

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic
Dividen KWSP 2023 5.4% dan 5.5%
AbahmungDividen KWSP 2023 5.4% dan 5.5%
Views : 1718 Replies : 0
[Edisi tahniah] Selamat Pengantin baru Afifah Nasir!
doubleA[Edisi tahniah] Selamat Pengantin baru A
Views : 27720 Replies : 214
Akibat Boros Duit KWSP RM700,000 ‘Licin’ Dalam Masa Tiga Tahun, terpaksa bekerja semula di umur 70 tahun kerana terdapat komitmen besar seperti kad kredit dan pinjaman rumah
YgBenarAkibat Boros Duit KWSP RM700,000 ‘Licin
Views : 19943 Replies : 218
Eizlan Yusuf selamat bernikah
BoomibulatEizlan Yusuf selamat bernikah
Views : 22493 Replies : 135
Suami kecewa isteri yang dinikahi selama ini rupanya lelaki
mojarean_XSuami kecewa isteri yang dinikahi selama
Views : 7450 Replies : 43
PMX kata penjawat awam yang lembab dan bermasalah tidak naik gaji secara automatik.
YgBenarPMX kata penjawat awam yang lembab dan b
Views : 19834 Replies : 24
Restoran Kantan Datin Isma
AngelFreakyAFRestoran Kantan Datin Isma
Views : 25627 Replies : 175
tajuk apa yg sesuai
Mrperfect2tajuk apa yg sesuai
Views : 7074 Replies : 32
Isteri curang?
Lavender85Isteri curang?
Views : 9501 Replies : 31
comel
rospinkicomel
Views : 7133 Replies : 46

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

6-5-2024 03:33 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.061561 second(s), 35 queries .