ADVERTISEMENT

Author: katt

Korean Entertainment News 2012 - 2013

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 30-7-2013 11:21 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2013

Culture Ministry introduces standard contract for entertainment industry

By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

TV actors should be given their script at least two days before shooting an episode, cast and crew must not shoot for more than 18 hours a day, and broadcasters should pay the cast and crew if their outsourcing production company be unable.

These are some of the clauses included in the suggested standard contract between the nation’s broadcasters and outsourcing producers, drawn up by the Culture Ministry and unveiled on Tuesday.

“While Korea’s popular culture is a major driving force for hallyu, there are a lot of problems in the local TV industry’s work environment, including the long working hours and industrial accidents,” said Park Young-goog, the director general of media policy bureau of the ministry.

“Actors and actresses get their scripts on the day of their shoots, and many of them don’t get paid. We are introducing this standard contract to improve such conditions and for the betterment of the local entertainment industry.”

While the contract is not legally binding, it can be used as a standard when two parties are involved in a legal dispute or a conflict, said Park.

“Introducing this standard form of contract is practically all that the government can offer,” he said. “It is up to the broadcasters and outsourcing firms to follow it. But we expect most of the public broadcasters will follow it, should there be a legal dispute.”

Other terms in the contract include paying actors and actresses for the portions that have been cut during the editing process, providing staff members with a rest area for long-term productions, and providing accident insurance during production.

Once the shoot is over, the producer can’t ask for more than a total of seven working days from the cast and crew for re-shoots. Should the producer need more days for additional changes, it should pay extra.

Last week, famed TV drama producer Kim Jong-hak was found dead in an apparent suicide, after suffering from legal and financial problems linked with the “outsourced production system” in which the purchasing broadcasters only paid half of the production cost, leaving the rest up to the independent producers.

Kim’s most recent series, “Faith,” which aired on SBS, did not do well and a group of actors filed a complaint in February against the producer for not paying them even after the show ended late last year.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 30-7-2013 11:24 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2013

For 'Snowpiercer' cast, it's all about craft

BY CARLA SUNWOO Korea JoongAng Daily

From left: Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, Go A-sung and Song Kang-ho star in the film “Snowpiercer,” which opens Thursday. [REUTERS/NEWS1]

One week after their movie “Snowpiercer” was unveiled to the press in Korea, Tilda Swinton and Chris Evans flew to Seoul to talk about what it was like working with Bong Joon-ho, Song Kang-ho and Go A-sung.

Although all five were present at the press conference yesterday, it was clear to see that all eyes were on the willowy Swinton, who Bong referred to as “an elf.”

“I’ve been waiting to come here with this film since I met Director Bong,” said Swinton, remembering the time in Cannes, two years ago, when the two first crossed paths.

Although Swinton said that she met Bong at a time when she vowed to never make a film, “a decision I make after every film,” she told Bong that there was one condition to her participation: “I wanted to have fun.”

“I always had a fantasy playing a character with a nose like this,” she said, pushing up on her nostrils.

Describing her collaboration with Bong as “not more sophisticated than a 6-year-old playing dress up,” the 52-year-old British actress said that it was “his person” that drew her to the project.

She suggested that although visibly female, her character Mason is open to interpretation.

“The subordinates call Mason, ‘Sir.’ Who’s to say Mason is female? I’m not saying that.”

Upon first seeing Swinton on set in Europe, Song said he had a moment where he stared at her walking toward him and all he could think was, “That is an actor.”

Meanwhile, the youngest member Go professed that she enjoyed gazing into her co-star - famed for playing Captain America - Evans’s “deep” eyes.

And for his part, the American heartthrob said that he loved getting away from Hollywood for a while.

“It was so refreshing to work with artists outside of America. Even if you are talented, unfortunately they don’t make it on our radar,” said Evans, while emphasizing that he learnt a lot from watching actors who approached the craft differently from him.

But when all’s said and done, Swinton set the record straight.

“It sounds a little strange to hear them (Korean actors) speak about working with such an international cast. For us, we felt like we were working with the international stars.”

And as for what she thought of Bong, she said the he was a “person at the pinnacle of world cinema.”

The film opens Thursday.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-7-2013 11:28 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2013

Newlyweds reunite in England

By Lee Sun-min Korea JoongAng Daily

Actress Han Hye-jin of the film “26 Years” left Korea to reunite with her new husband in England on Monday.

Due to scheduling conflicts of football player Ki Sung-yueng, the newlywed couple has been apart since their wedding on July 1 at the Intercontinental Hotel in southern Seoul.

An official at Han’s agency was quoted as saying that Han avoided getting attention upon her departure, according to local media reports.

The official added that the actress won’t come back until the press conference for her movie “When A Man Loves.” The movie is tentatively scheduled to be released in November.

She finished filming the movie last week and also completed recording the last episode for the SBS talk show “Healing Camp,” which she has hosted alongside comedian Lee Kyung-kyu and Kim Je-dong.

It is said that she can come back anytime when she receives a call from some work because of her passion for acting, although it has not been decided when she is going to come back.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-7-2013 11:30 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2013

Actor Ha Jung-woo reveals his Hollywood dreams

Actor Ha Jung-woo of film “The Berlin File” said that he has dreamt about filming a movie in Hollywood since he was young on Monday during a chat session with fans on the mobile messenger service Line.

During the event, which was streamed live through the Web site Naver, he said he always planned to grab such an opportunity.

“It is not just about going to Hollywood, but it is more about expanding my presence to the world so that I can meet more people through the screen,” said Ha.

When a fan suggested that he would make a good fit filming movies in Eastern Europe, he welcomed the idea and then listed countries such as Poland and the Czech Republic and asked what country he should try first.

The actor will meet local fans for the new movie “The Terror Live,” which hits local theaters today.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-7-2013 11:33 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2013

Sung Yu-ri to host future "Healing Camp" episodes

Actress Sung Yu-ri of MBC’s “Feat of the Gods” and former member of 90s girl group Fin.K.L will join SBS talk show “Healing Camp” as actress Han Hye-jin of the film “26 Years” steps down from the show after getting married.

Sung will participate in her first filming today of the show, which has invited renowned dermatologist Ham Ik-byeog.

One of the officials at SBS was quoted as saying that they will be talking about Ham’s close relationship with his mother-in-law, according to local media reports.

It is not the first time Sung has been a host. A decade ago, she hosted a weekly entertainment show titled “Section TV Entertainment News” on MBC.

“Although she has some experience in being an MC on a show, she is actively reviewing the previous ‘Healing Camp’ shows as it has been too long,” said the official, adding that the production team has high hopes for her.

“I feel delightful and honored to join the show that I had often enjoyed watching,” said Sung, according to reports.

“Although I feel burdened, I think I can have a great time during the filming.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-7-2013 11:36 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2013

So Ji-sub praises female co-star

Actor So Ji-sub of the KBS drama “I’m Sorry, I Love You” spoke highly of the acting skills of fellow actress Gong Hyo-jin of the MBC drama “The Greatest Love” at a press conference of new SBS drama “The Master’s Sun,” in which they are starring together.

“Gong is the best out of all the actors and actresses working in romantic comedy in Korea,” said So yesterday in Mok-dong, southwestern Seoul.

“She is so good and I’m amazed at her ability to take the counterpart’s acting well enough.”

Gong also answered that the two are keeping up with each other in a filming set.

“I worried a little bit before because I heard from other acquaintances that So is not so outgoing and does not talk much,” she said. “However, as we began acting together, [I realized] he is a very positive person.”

In the upcoming drama starting on Aug. 7, So will play a character that owns a large fashion mall. Gong will play So’s counterpart who can see ghosts.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 30-7-2013 11:38 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2013

Han Ga-in may return in new drama

Actress Han Ga-in of the MBC drama “The Moon that Embraces the Sun” may come back to the small screen this year. She is currently reviewing whether or not to take part in a new SBS drama, tentatively named “A Woman That Marries Three Times.”

“We are positive about taking this role, but nothing has been set yet,” said the actress’s agency, according to local media reports.

Reports also added that the script reading, which is scheduled to happen tomorrow, will be pushed back further.

If she decides to join the new drama, it will be her comeback to the small screen for the first time in a year and a half.

The drama will describe the lives of a mother and two daughters and will be aired in November.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-7-2013 11:40 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2013

Park Si-hoo thanks his fans

Actor Park Si-hoo, who faced sexual assault charges earlier this year until the complainant withdrew her accusations in May, went online Monday to share his feelings over the lawsuit and show his gratitude toward the fans who believed in him.

“After the case, it was so hard for me to meet with families, relatives and close acquaintances,” he wrote in a letter titled “From America at 2 a.m.” on his online fan cafe on Monday.

“I was afraid because I felt like everyone in the world who knows my face was saying bad things about me.”

Park said that, although the charges hurt him badly, he also learned from the events.

“Thank you for being on my side,” he said. “That really helped me get through all of this.”

“I can’t promise when I can make a comeback, but I’ll make sure I present myself as a stronger and more mature actor.”

The case against Park was dropped in May after the aspiring entertainer who filed it against him in February withdrew her complaint.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 30-7-2013 11:42 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2013

Suzy hurt by expectations

Suzy of girl group Miss A says her nicknames - “The Nation’s First Love” and “The Nation’s Younger Sister” - can be quite a burden as she tries to live up to those expectations.

Suzy shared her thoughts on the SBS talk show “Healing Camp” on Monday, talking about her debut in the entertainment scene in 2010 as a girl group member.

“I think it hurts when people just ignore me, saying that I’m just a kid, but still expect me to act like a grown-up,” said Suzy.

“I have suffered from a sort of depression.”

However, what made the audience burst into tears came later as Suzy watched a video letter from her parents that was pre-recorded for the show.

Her dad, a taekwondo instructor, said he was particularly strict on her when she was young because she looked so cute and he was worried that she might be harassed.

“Now that I think about it, I am sorry,” he said. “My daughter, I love you.”

Her mother added that she was especially proud of Suzy’s role in the film “Architecture 101” (a hit romantic-drama from last year) and went to see the movie in a theater alone more than 10 times.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 30-7-2013 11:46 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2013

All in on romance

Actress Lee Min-jung of SBS drama “All About My Romance,” left, poses with her fiance, actor Lee Byung-hun, in a pre-wedding photo released by the actress’s agency yesterday. A friend who is a photographer reportedly took the photos for the couple. The two celebrities will get married on Aug. 10 at the Grand Hyatt Seoul Hotel in Hannam-dong, central Seoul. [JoongAng Ilbo]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2013 02:30 PM | Show all posts

July 31, 2013

Standard Contracts to Protect Entertainers from Exploitation

The Chosun Ilbo

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism on Tuesday came up with a recommended standard contract form for entertainers aiming to prevent major production companies and broadcasters from abusing young aspiring performers. The contract was hammered out with input from broadcasters, independent production companies and groups representing entertainers.

Actress Han Ye-seul in a scene from a TV soap opera aired in August 2011, when she went AWOL from the set complaining of the hectic shooting schedule. Actress Han Ye-seul in a scene from a TV soap opera aired in August 2011, when she went AWOL from the set complaining of the hectic shooting schedule.

It will go into effect on Aug. 1 and aims to end so-called slave contracts that tie especially aspiring entertainers into unreasonable demands in the small print. A probe of such contracts found clauses that infringe on the freedom of contracted entertainers, for example by requiring them to take part in promotional activities for their management agencies for free or even constantly report their whereabouts to the agency.

Under the new standard contract, entertainers must be paid for their services before the middle of the month after their performance, daily filming cannot exceed 18 hours, and teenage actors must be allowed to attend school and get enough sleep.

It also requires broadcasters or production companies to provide proper rest facilities for entertainers when filming on location for extended periods. Broadcasters or production companies are also required to provide scripts to actors at least two days before filming to prevent last-minute extension of schedules.

A separate standard contract between broadcasters and production companies requires both sides to clearly identify who is paying for what. It also contains guidelines on intellectual property and copyright depending on which party contributed the most, as well clarifying ownership rights to facilitate sales.

To ensure that entertainers are paid, new guidelines require production companies to provide payment guarantees and broadcasters to stop dealings with production companies that fail to pay performers.

But these contracts are not compulsory, so it remains to be seen how much impact they will have on industry practice. A ministry official said, "We expect these guidelines to be applied in disputes between parties and plan to improve any shortcomings in continued consultations with the industry."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2013 02:31 PM | Show all posts

July 31, 2013

Lee Byung-hun, Lee Min-jung Unveil Pre-Wedding Pics

The Chosun Ilbo

Actor Lee Byung-hun and actress Lee Min-jung revealed their pre-wedding photos on Tuesday.

Lee's agency BH Entertainment said on Monday that the couple had a photo shoot two weeks ago with only their families and close friends in attendance.

The photos look like scenes from a classic black-and-white movie and were reportedly shot by a famous photographer that they have a close relationship with.

The couple will have a private wedding at the Grand Hyatt Hotel on Aug. 10.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2013 08:22 PM | Show all posts

July 31, 2013

Lee Joon-gi back in summer thriller
Hallyu star plays hero out to save daughter in 'Two Weeks'

By Jean Oh The Korea Herald

MBC’s “Two Weeks” stars Lee Joon-gi (left) and Park Ha-sun attend the drama’s press conference in Seoul on Wednesday. (Yonhap News)

Actor Lee Joon-gi is returning to the small screen this summer with a season-appropriate thriller.

After a year-long television hiatus, the hallyu star is back as a hero out to save his daughter.

Lee also released an album this January before jumping on board the upcoming drama, further cementing his pan-Asian star power as an acting-singing double threat.

“I am back after a long time,” said Lee, 31, at the drama’s press conference in Seoul on Wednesday. “I am touched that so many have showed up for this event.”

Of returning to set, Lee said, “I was very worried at first because I like to be playful on set and create a comfortable vibe but that might not work with my costars. Thankfully, it turns out that we are all on the same wavelength.”

“I am very happy and look forward to going to the set,” Lee added.

In a departure from last summer’s horror-comedy “Tale of Arang” in which he plays a spirit-seeing government official, Lee tackles a real-time-style action-melodrama in MBC’s aptly titled “Two Weeks.”

In the upcoming drama, Lee plays a down-and-out thug with little purpose in life until his old sweetheart ― played by actress Park Ha-sun ― pays him an unexpected visit, revealing to him that he not only has an 8-year-old daughter, but that his daughter is suffering from leukemia and he might be the key to saving her.

Faced with the chance to redeem himself, Lee’s hero Jang Tae-san discovers he is a match for a bone marrow transplant for his daughter. Poised to do something good for once, his plans are foiled when he becomes embroiled in political intrigue and framed for murder.

A fugitive on the run, Jang (Lee Joon-gi) must make it in time for his daughter’s surgery, which is scheduled to take place in two weeks.

As with any chase thriller, the protagonist must always be on the run, giving potential rise to speculation as to how this take on the fugitive genre might stand out from the crowd.

At the press event, Lee shied away from giving away too much, only saying, “Jang Tae-san finds a lot of different ways to hide from the authorities.”

One of those ways was to bury himself in dirt and mud, a scene that Lee revealed was a bit frightening to film.

“It was truly scary to feel, for a brief moment, what it might be like to die,” said Lee, jokingly adding, “But the staff seemed to be having a good time piling dirt over me.”

“Two Weeks” director Son Hyung-suk shed further light onto the upcoming series, saying, “It is shot in a two-week time frame so each episode will show a day’s worth of the story, and I think that might be novel.”

Joining director Son is scriptwriter So Hyon-gyeong, who wrote the smash hit series “My Daughter Seoyeong.”

“Two Weeks” starts airing Aug. 7 Wednesday and Thursday nights on MBC at 10 p.m.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2013 08:26 PM | Show all posts

July 29, 2013

'Snowpiercer' depicts humanity's struggle for life

By Yun Suh-young The Korea Times

From left, director Bong Joon-ho and the cast of “Snowpiercer,” Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, Ko A-sung, and Song Kang-ho pose for a photo during a press conference in Yeouido, central Seoul, Monday. / Yonhap

The first impression of “Snowpiercer,” the American debut of Korean director Bong Joon-ho, is that of an instant classic that will be watched and dissected by movie buffs for years to come.

The movie, which will be released locally on Thursday, is categorized as a science-fiction thriller, but is really much more than that, a well-paced drama that combines engaging characters and an intelligent storyline that chills the heart as much as it warms it.

The story is set in 2031 inside a train called, “Snowpiercer,” which circles around a nearly-lifeless Earth, left for dead by a failed global-warming experiment 17 years ago.

Wilford (Ed Harris), creator of the train, enjoys a God-like status at the front of the train

The movie makes no effort to explain the disastrous chemical, CW-7, and how it was used in a way that resulted in a man-made Ice Age. Instead, the focus remains on people inside the train, humanity’s last survivors and the class system that evolves between them.

Setting the tone is Mason, the “prime minister” of the train marvelously played by Tilda Swinton, who tells people at the tail section, “I belong to the front. You belong to the tail. Know your place. Keep your place. Be the tail.”

Predictably, bloody conflict ensues when people at the back decide to experiment whether they could move up front.

Children born to the front section enjoy the benefits of studying in a neat classroom

“The movie provides an exaggerated version of the reality that we live in and helps us reflect on life.  The dichotomy between rich and the poor is universal,” Bong said in a news conference in Seoul, where he was joined by the movie’s actors Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, Song Kang-ho and Ko A-sung.

“The reason we enjoy sci-fi is that it somehow resembles our world— and at the core of it is the class struggle.”

Bong skillfully creates a microcosm of the human world in the narrow corridors of the train. There are people giving birth and there are people dying. Some people are helped, others are killed. The main struggle is between the protectors of the status quo and those desperate to break it.

An indoor garden in the front section of the train

Moviegoers follow the path of protagonists, who begin at the back of train before advancing and preparing to take over the engine room. Once they have the engine, they believe, they will have the front section. The revolt, led by Curtis (Chris Evans), is described as a struggle to regain dignity.

Curtis tries to take over the engine room and replace Wilford (Ed Harris), who enjoys a God-like status as the creator and controller of the train, with Gilliam (John Hurt), the spiritual leader of the have-nots.

Curtis is helped by Namgoong Minsoo (Song Kang-ho), a Korean  engineer who helped Wilford design the train, and his train-born daughter Yona (Ko A-sung). As the group of rebels moves forward, they continue to be shocked by the versions of life they have never seen before.

A child at the tail section sleeps inside a dirty bunk bed

Evans, most famous for his Captain America superhero role, displays unexpected range and depth in the role of Curtis, while Swinton is a revelation as the iron-fisted Mason.

“We had a very enjoyable game of imagining Mason’s life before the train and what she does behind closed doors. She’s not that different from the leaders we see photographed on the newspapers every day,” Swinton said at the news conference.

“Sometimes they wear strange makeup and wigs. We kept thinking of extreme gestures for Mason. We looked through history or even the contemporary who are just as extreme, and tried to create a character that is true to life.”

Curtis (Chris Evans), right, prepares a revolt to conquer the front section with tail section members including Gilliam (John Hurt), on wheelchair, the spiritual leader of the tail section

Evans described working with Bong as a critical experience.

“To me it was so refreshing to work with artists outside of America. It broadened my horizon to work with people who approach the craft differently from how I do,” he said.

“For me the director is the most important person in the movie making process. The script is just words on paper. I go where the directors are. Bong is among the top in the world.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2013 11:08 PM | Show all posts

July 31, 2013

"Dancing Queen" Uhm Jung-hwa to make comeback

Actress Uhm Jung-hwa of 2012 film “Dancing Queen” will make a comeback to the big screen. Production for her new movie, “The Law of Pleasures,” started on Monday according to the film’s distributor Lotte Entertainment yesterday.

The movie, based on a script that won a competition organized by Lotte Entertainment, will describe the lives of women.

Uhm will play an entertainment TV producer named Shin-hye who having recently ended a long relationship with her boyfriend is starting a new one with a man younger than her. Along with Uhm, actress Jo Min-su of 2012 film “Pieta” will also take part in the movie as a divorcée who dreams of a new love while running a café.

Another big name actress, Moon So-ri of 2002 film “Oasis,” will play Mi-yeon, who is trying to renew the relationship between herself and her husband after sending her son to study abroad.

The movie is scheduled to be released within the year.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 31-7-2013 11:10 PM | Show all posts

July 31, 2013

"Grandpas Over Flowers" wraps up filming in Taiwan

Members of entertainment show “Grandpas Over Flowers” on cable channel tvN came back to Korea on Tuesday after they completed filming its second season in Taiwan.
Sunny of Girls’ Generation, who joined the show, also stayed there one more day than previously arranged to prove her passion for the show.

While the program is about four veteran actors who are in their 70s or older, actor Lee Seo-jin of the MBC drama “Gyebaek” has joined as a helper to assist others. Lee was cajoled into the first trip to Paris by the production team, which made him believe that Sunny was joining him during the trip.

Although it turned out to be a lie, Lee finally got a chance to meet up with Sunny in the second season as he had hoped.

However, not all of them came back together at the same time because they have different arrangement with other dramas or programs they are currently in.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 31-7-2013 11:11 PM | Show all posts

July 31, 2013

Alex to play ambitious radiologist in new drama

Singer Alex will join the new MBC drama “Medical Top Team” and will play a radiologist named Bae Sang-gyu.

Bae will have two different characteristics, a kind doctor popular among patients who is also ambitious to become a powerful figure within the hospital. As the drama develops, he will show more of his ambitious side to get ahead of other fellow doctors.

Fans are looking forward to seeing the character he will play, as it is different from the sweet and romantic character that he previously played multiple times in TV dramas including “Pasta” on MBC and “Smile Donghae” on KBS.

An official affiliated with the drama production team was quoted as saying that audiences will have a chance to witness the not-yet-discovered charm of Alex, according to local media reports.

The drama will air in October.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 1-8-2013 10:48 PM | Show all posts

August 1, 2013

Unpredictable seniors entertain 'Flower H4' viewers

Jin Eun-soo, Intern reporter The Korea Herald

In cable channel tvN’s latest variety show “Flower H4,” four Korean veteran actors with the average age of 76 backpack across Europe, visiting famous landmarks.

The program has reaped high viewership from all generations since its first episode aired on July 5.

The show depicts four grandpas -- Lee Soon-jae, Park Geon-hyeong, Shin Gu, Baek Il-seop, all with extensive acting experience in film and TV -- as they travel with Lee Seo-jin, the youngest man on the show. The junior helps with guiding, translating, carrying luggage and much more.

The show’s producer Na Young-seok, known for his iconic program “2 days & 1 night” said “the cast members’ unpredictability” was what made the cable program successful.

While the production team on his previous shows could roughly estimate the plot and main theme of each episode, “Flower H4” was all about spontaneity, and that is even hard for the producer to predict.

“These days, the viewers are the experts. If we (the crew members) can expect what’s going to happen next, the viewers will for sure not find the show interesting,” said Na.

The episode in which Baek threw out part of his luggage because it was too heavy is one of the representative examples, inciting laughter not only from the viewers but also from the production team at the scene. His personality in the show, which contrasts with the solemn and serious image he built in dramas and films in the past, also added to the twist.

“The intimacy formed toward the seniors when the audience noticed that someone their fathers’ or grandfathers’ age does not differ that much from themselves” is another factor attracting the viewers, according to Na.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-8-2013 02:13 AM | Show all posts

August 1, 2013

'Terror Live' a one-man thrill ride

By carla sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

Ha Jung-woo plays a radio newsman squaring off against a terrorist in “The Terror Live.” Provided by Lotte Entertainment

Ha Jung-woo is back. One of Korea’s hottest leading men, having made his name on such hits as “The Chaser,” “Nameless Gangster” and “The Berlin File,” Ha is front-and-center in “The Terror Live,” playing a radio host who finds himself sucked into a deadly terrorist attack in Seoul.

In theaters now, “The Terror Live” is an usual thriller - it is set almost solely inside of a radio studio and focuses heavily on Ha’s character, Yoon Yeong-hwa, a radio host recently demoted from his position as a TV anchor. Fortunately, this movie is more than just a thrill ride, it has something to say.

The film starts off with a bang, as radio host Yoon receives a peculiar call from a stranger threatening to blow up Mapo Bridge. Self-absorbed Yoon couldn’t care less, and calls the stranger’s bluff - unfortunately, the voice on the phone isn’t bluffing, and within seconds a nightmare scenario unfolds.

Ever the opportunist, Yoon sees a chance to reclaim his TV job. He uses the terror attack to get back on the air, setting up a makeshift television studio from his radio station, and soon the whole nation is watching him.

Lucky for Yoon, the terrorist wants to keep on talking. He demands the president of Korea in exchange for the safety of the hostages still stuck on the bridge.

As the story unfolds, the full scope of the terrorist’s plans begins to unfold, steadily ramping up the tension with surprises and reversals.

Throw in a studio bigwig who is out to boost ratings, a police agent who is trying to locate the killer and Yoon’s selfish personal agenda, and there is never a dull moment.

The terrorist bombings are cleverly done, and there are enough exploding fireballs at just the right intervals to keep hearts racing. With each unexpected turn, the viewer gets pulled deeper into the story, swept away by the film’s energy, regardless of logic or more sensible concerns.

Ha is known for bringing humor even to serious roles, but that lightness is used sparingly here. Yoon is an arrogant yuppie, and Ha plays him to entertaining extremes.

Only when Yoon’s former lover becomes entangled in the story does he get shaken out of his narcissism, instantly humanized when the bigger-than-life story suddenly becomes about his life.

With the story so focused on Yoon, there was potential for monotony, but there is something so comical and yet pitiful about Yoon’s situation and the way his selfish human nature manifests itself, it really hooks you.

Ha’s acting range is really put to the test, but even without - or perhaps because of - other characters and settings, Ha’s emotional gravity is astounding. Be prepared for an emotional roller coaster with several sharp turns.

Thanks to Ha’s charisma, “Terror Live” has enough energy to carry viewers along to the end.

More than just a thriller, through the desperate acts committed by the anonymous caller, the film examines the hierarchical structure of Korean society, with an emphasis on the plight of blue-collar Koreans caught up in a fast-evolving capitalistic economy.

The conversations between Yoon, a white-collared snob, and the terrorist, who identifies himself as a construction worker, are intense and engaging.

The unseen killer is emotional and convincing, and the government’s response to the threat will seem more than a little familiar to real-life problems.

Director Kim Byung-woo is a relative newcomer, having made only one feature before, the independent but highly regarded “Written.” Kim’s style is minimal with plenty of handheld cameras, but it is mostly effective for this story.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-8-2013 10:49 AM | Show all posts

August 1, 2013

Song heading to military

Actor Song Joong-ki, of the KBS drama “The Innocent Man” and film “A Werewolf Boy,” is ready to begin his mandatory military duty starting Aug. 27, his agency Blossom Entertainment announced yesterday.

He will enlist at the end of this month for basic training and then will be assigned to a regular station for the next two years.

“I’m very thankful for everyone who has been supporting me and showing love until now,” said Song.

“I’ll be back after serving my two years of military duty.”

Prior to his enlistment, he will have a fan meeting on Aug. 17.

The news comes as a surprise as the agency had denied rumors about Song’s enlistment as recently as a month ago. At the time the agency said that Song would announce his enlistment when it was scheduled to happen.

Song, who made his debut in the 2008 movie “A Frozen Flower,” gained popularity with the KBS drama “Sungkyunkwan Scandal” in 2010 before his role in the big hit “The Innocent Man.”

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

21-5-2024 01:27 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.072479 second(s), 41 queries .